Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • snow tyres for a week in the lakes
  • foxypolo
    Free Member

Hi I’m heading up to the lakes next week with the family and will be of course be taking my bike (XL Salsa Mamasita). With the forecast as it is I’m thinking I may be in the need for some snow / winter tyres. Can anyone out there recommend anything? Any suggestions welcome. Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do people really just buy new tyres when the weather changes? Snow will probably be variable so a normal winter tyre minion etc

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It snowed a bit today but mostly gone now. Didnt head to the north lakes but around Coniston and Langdale there was a good bit of snow, around Ambleside and Windermere very little.

I wouldnt bother with snow tyres 😉

the_lecht_rocks

NE Scotland here – Proper snow in our area.
    Nobby Nics work BRILLIANTLY in good snow.

IMAG0047 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr

martinhurton
    Free Member

I had mine out a few weeks ago in the snow and ice around Kielder and my Conti Explorers performed as well as they always do. My mates tyres (sorry, dunno what they are) also did well. No complaints.

Point is as above, no need for snow tyres unless your on semi-slicks right now?

Saying that, I’ll not be cycling in on my 700/25’s today!

foxypolo
    Free Member

Cheers all. Based in the new forest so we don’t see much of the white stuff. Running Nobby Nics at the mo so looks like i’m good to go.

Sanny
    Free Member

For snow, anything pretty much works. However, if you expect it to be icy, get thee either Conti or Schwalbe ice tyres as the difference they make is astounding. I’ve yet to find a normal tyre that grips on ice!

theblackmount
    Free Member

Any old mud tyre for snow – unless it’s some of TLR *good snow* in which case you might want to splash out a little 😉

I just ride on very variable / bad / missing snow mostly so buying a specific snow tyre is a waste of £. Ice is different ball game of course and I did have a hankering for ice spikers but where’s the challenge in that?

Northwind

Yep, snow is lovely to ride on and doesn’t need special tyres. But ice is horrible to ride on, and can ruin a ride, so I’ve got a set of icespikers for those times when everything’s crap. If I was to go for a week in the lakes and it coincided with a spell of snow-melt glaciers, I’d be glad to have them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘snow tyres for a week in the lakes’ is closed to new replies.