• This topic has 23 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Snow tyres and wheels from Germany?
  • boxelder

Anyone bought wheels and tyres and had them sent over?
    Recommendations?
    Ta

welshfarmer

reifen.de

get all my winter tyres from them. 20 euros to post a full set to UK. Don’t quote me, but I think mytyres.com are the same company, but with UK bias and offering free postage. I had a couple of tyres from them too and they were still sent from Germany. Price with free postage was the same as the German site with postage!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

No but I’ve looked into it. It makes sense they are cheaper as snow tyres are more common there and not seen as a “luxury” purchase

firestarter
    Free Member

I bought from mytyres and also paid for fitting. I had them delivered to a local garage that they deal with as part of the deal. I just turned up as arranged they fitted them and I drove off. Easy and cheap

Stoner
    Free Member

I had no problem getting a winter rim and tyre set from https://www.tyreleader.co.uk in Germany.

€125 for 4x rims, €305 for 4x Nokian WR D3

boxelder

Much obliged

thegreatape
    Free Member

Have used mytyres twice, no problems.

nbt

mytyres.co.uk charge £10 per wheel for postage, still got a set of 4 allows with Nokian WR D4 for £480 posted. Ordered Monday, arrived Friday

cultsdave
    Free Member

Yes, used http://www.mytyres.co.uk a few times. Bought 4 steel wheels and winter tyres from them. It was hassle free and good value.

SaxonRider

Have used mytyres a number of times and been happy every time. Good prices, and better selection of winter and all-seasons than most UK places.

welshfarmer

Sorry. I got my company mixed up. The one I have used several times in Germany is reifen.com. They have an english language site so easy to navigate for non-german speakers

german tyre site

jambalaya
    Free Member

As an aside on pricing a VW main dealer quoted me £475 for steel wheels and snow tyres for a Golf

MadBillMcMad

bookmarked

squirrelking
    Free Member

Why does everyone go for steelies, is it just because they are cheaper new than a set of alloys?

nbt

Can be MUCH cheaper (though you don’t have to pay a lot more for alloys), and less likely to suffer from corrosion due to road salt.

but don’t look as nice, hence I went for alloys as they were only about £13 or so per wheel dearer than steels

Stoner
    Free Member

I just got steels and some generic trim. Look fine.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Fair enough, Ford alloys are shite at the best of times…

Do the Tyreleader packages come fully fitted (ie tyres on rim and balanced or would I need to sort that if I got them delivered at home?)

windydave13
    Free Member

I just paid £480 for a set of alloys and Goodyears from Wheelbase last week and they fitted them with new studs. Best i could get for Steels on a simlar tyre was £465 without fitting.

Well worth live-chatting witht he guys there to get the best price

chrisdw
    Free Member

Do the Tyreleader packages come fully fitted (ie tyres on rim and balanced or would I need to sort that if I got them delivered at home?)

I was looking into this recently. I think I found it on their website somewhere that they don’t. so that would need to be factored in. Bout £10 a wheel I’m finding.

Stoner
    Free Member

Yes, I paid £10 a corner at my LTS to have the tyres put on the rims from tyreleader.

usefully, VW alloy studs are designed to work with steel rims too. German efficiency for you!

nbt

Ooooh. My wheels came with new studs. They looked the same as the old ones so I reused the old ones. Should I not have done that? 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

studs for steel rims should be tapered. Dont use flat faced alloy wheel studs on steel rims. VW studs are ball tapered for their alloys and steels.

nbt

got a volvo. studs are tapered.

jimw
    Free Member

Why does everyone go for steelies, is it just because they are cheaper new than a set of alloys?

Yes in my case.
    A set of steel 16″ wheels and decent tyres from Mytyres were appreciably cheaper than 18″ tyres to fit the standard alloys. in addition, steels are less of a worry in terms of damage in poor conditions and effectively cost neutral over the four years I intend to keep the car as it makes the summers last longer. It is also less of a hassle to change them over in winter/spring as I can do it myself with a trolley jack. As it is VAG car, the wheel bolts are the same.

I don’t care that they don’t look as good as the alloys- I have a set of covers that are OK and I’m inside the car most of the time, not looking at the outside.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Snow tyres and wheels from Germany?’ is closed to new replies.