Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Snow Socks for car?
  • prawny

I know more than enough about winter rubber

rickt
    Free Member

lol… prawny – There’s no need for you to post your “selfie” photos on here… we all dont need to see you in your “online dating” outfit..

JEngledow – If your going down the snow sock option, its worth noting that some of the socks you will struggle to get on if your running a decent sized wheel in msport spec — its not uncommon to have to jack the car up a few inch… (this is more so with chains)

prawny

Pfft, I wish that was a selfie 🙁

rickt
    Free Member

🙂 ^^

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Quick to fit once you know how, loads more grip than with chains.

Really ?

I honestly think this. Chains rip up the road and cause loads of turbulance, snow socks use all the width of the tyre to give the grip. I have seen cars with snowsocks easily getting up hills that cars with chains failed to.

rickt
    Free Member

Snow socks are ideal for getting out of a stuck position, but dont forget you can only do upto 30MPH with then and they will soon burn out on tarmac so for most people they will only be used for 100-200 meters until they get to clear tarmac.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

All depends on the situation I suppose. I wouldn’t want to be doing much more that 30 on tarmac roads with chains on.

In the Alps the roads are completely covered in snow so there is no tarmac visable.

When we had the big snowfalls in Bristol over the last couple of years, all the side roads were completely snow/ice covered and it tool a couple of days before the main roads became snow free. The side roads remained iced over for ages.

pacemaker
    Free Member

Quick to fit once you know how, loads more grip than with chains.

I have both chains and socks provided by the company, in the deep snow earlier this year the snow socks were good but when I got stuck on the back roads over the Pennines the socks had to come off and the chains went on.

Admittedly it was so deep that the snow drift I drove into stopped my door from opening, so I had to climb out of the window and spent half and hour digging enough clearance to get the chains on. But once they were on it turned the front on my Sharan into a snowplough and it pulled itself out .

epicsteve
    Free Member

I bought a set of snow-socks for my Merc two winters ago and found they worked well. Well enough that I was able to drive round all the stuck front-wheel drive Audi’s that seemed to be abandoned around here.

My car doesn’t have enough clearance for chains and while snow tyres would be better it’s a lot of cash for very, very occasional need. I didn’t need the snow-socks at all last winter.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Snow Socks for car?’ is closed to new replies.