Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Snow-Boarders – is it just me….?
  • McHamish
    Free Member

Keep thinking I should do some intermediate lessons some time – but I’m usually enjoying myself too much to worry about the finer points of my technique.

It depends on my mood on the transfer coach really…sometimes I decide to have lessons, on other holidays I just fancy pootling about enjoying myself all day.

When I’ve done lessons I’ve really enjoyed them…intermediate and advanced lessons tend to be in the afternoon in France (might have changed now though), so you can still get a way with a hangover.

Usually the instructor is a young guy who you can have a laugh with…if the snow’s crap he’ll take you to where he knows it’s better. He’ll show you how to show off a bit – even if you aren’t particularly interested in the freestyle side of things.

On a couple of occasions it’s just been the instructor and 4/5 guys who are up for a laugh and taking the mickey etc etc. You basically end up with a guide around the resort, and a group of guys to board with who are at the same level.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I learnt to snowboard through lessons (as did most people I know – although some are self taught and have crappy technique)”

I self taught myself to ski, and then went on to race to international stndard and instruct.

I actually think there is alot to be said for self teaching, it tends to mean you read up on stuff and therefore learn the technicalities more. If some one instructs you you are more likely just to do it rather than think about why you are doing it. (not many instructors tell you that bit anyhow)

jam-bo

I was boarding in flaine first week of feb and all the serious accidents I saw were either by skiers or caused by skiers. Numerous times I had to haul up to avoid a skier cutting across me.

I nearly got taken out by a guy on ski’s doing mach 3 down serpentine on a busy sunday, to pass him 3-400 yds further down the piste, having absolutely annihilated a small child and in a heated argument with what I assume was the child’s father. it wasn’t looking pretty.

McHamish
    Free Member

I self taught myself to ski, and then went on to race to international stndard and instruct.

That’s fair enough…some of the guys I know who are self taught have good technique. One of my mates has terrible technique – crouches down too much – but he can control his board.

Personally I think people should have lessons every now and then to eliminate bad habits and pick up good technique…you get taught special teaching methods to improve technique – like boarding with your hand clasped behind your back to prevent you from swinging them about to turn. Learning to carve properly is difficult without lessons I think.

But you’ll always get someone who’s a natural!

I think you can’t teach in resorts anymore if you haven’t completed a recognised instructor course…a friend of mine did one in France somewhere…he was originally self taught and they took apart his technique in the first few weeks. I’m sure he would be awesome now, but he busted his knee in the 6th week!

McHamish
    Free Member

having absolutely annihilated a small chil

Children always make me nervous when I’m on a board…they’re so unpredicatable. If you go past them (regardless of the distance) at any speed faster than a slow crawl you get glared at by their parent/guardian.

ddmonkey

Children are what they are and we were all children once. You have to make allowances for them. One of the very best things about skiing I think is the fact that its a proper sport that really young children can be good at, its wonderful watching my little lad learn to ski and absolutely love it.

GrahamS

its wonderful watching my little lad learn to ski

Our ten-month-old wasn’t quite up to it this year, but next year… 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

Children are what they are and we were all children once. You have to make allowances for them. One of the very best things about skiing I think is the fact that its a proper sport that really young children can be good at, its wonderful watching my little lad learn to ski and absolutely love it.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t see anything wrong with children skiing…it’s just they make me nervous – I always end up slowing right down…i’ve been known to stay behind a snaking kids ski school because I didn’t want to go past and risk being shouted at!

ddmonkey

The ski school snakes do make me laugh, if you get behind one I advise sitting down in the middle of the piste just over a blind crest for a bit to get a clear run ;o)

But seriously yes they are very difficult to get past if you are unlucky enough to get behind one!

McHamish
    Free Member

…I advise sitting down in the middle of the piste just over a blind crest for a bit to get a clear run ;o)

Good plan…and if you could stand in the middle of the piste and wave your poles around pointing out alternative routes that would be great too…ideally hitting people as they go past … 😉

tonyd

Shibboleth – Member
    piste discipline

Ignoring the rest of your post Shibb but you hit the nail on the head with that part. I ski and board depending who I’m with and have worked seasons in Europe and NZ and have to say it’s all down to attitude, awareness, and a little thought for others. Some thoughts (apologies for the waffle, I tried to keep it brief!)

– Most folks spend a LOT of cash on just one week of mountain action each year so it’s only natural to try to get as much out of that week as possible.

– Most folks either don’t give a damn about mountain etiquette or don’t know what it is. Those same folks wouldn’t think twice about dribbling over the top of a high speed roller and stopping to watch their mates and/or chatter excitedly about it without realising they’re about to get a haircut by Franz Klammer.

– Boarders sit down because they can! And because they have to, as already stated it’s hard work standing on one edge for more than a couple of minutes.

– Skiing is harder to learn so once you are confident enough to pick up speed you’ll probably be a bit more proficient at stopping. Worst case, snow plow or fall.

– Boarding is easier to learn (but harder to master) and a lot of people are egged on with lines like “I know it’s a black, but just side slip it” – wrong! If you lose control on a board the tendency is to sit back which makes things a whole lot worse (straightline, pick up speed, no control with weight over back, can’t get your feet out to bail = high speed impact of some kind).

– Agreed on the different lines for boarding and skiing, which is why it’s best to ski/ride in a mixed group. Even if you only do one of the two disciplines you get an appreciation of how the other works and what sort of lines they look for.

– Agreed that you must be aware of those downslope of you (and preferably anyone faster upslope) and make allowances for them. I’m sure most/all capable skiers/boarders have at some point used the 4pm chicken run as practice for evasive manoeuvres, I know I have and still do sometimes but I’d be mortified if I actually took someone out. I actually like to pretend I have a heads up display in my goggles tracking everyone and flashing red if I’ve been “engaged” but that’s another thread 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

@tonyd….good post.

I think driving is a good analogy…

Imagine you were on the motorway and everyone had their mirrors removed, and one group of drivers drove in one way, and the other group drove in a different way. And there were no lanes. There would be carnage.

I don’t know if people have ever seen those driving simulation things on TV where it tracks your eye movement to see how you pick out potential hazards. I follow the same approach when I’m driving…look ahead, pick out the best line and keep an eye out for potential hazards.

It’s something you get told in more advanced lessons…one instructor I had years ago used to say to people who were looking at the ground directly in front of them that if they found any money, it was his. Look ahead – far ahead…if there’s a kid give him a wide birth and keep an eye on him. If there’s some people off piste looking like they’re about to go over a little jump onto the piste…keep an eye on them and keep a wide birth.

I will usually glance up the hill if I’m about to do something unusual…like change direction suddenly, do a little trick, or whatever.

These are things that everyone should do regardless of whether they are on a board or skis…personally I think a lot of it is just common sense.

LD
    Free Member

singletrack piste – that would solve the whole situation

That’ll be the haggis trap then! 😉

D0NK

I think driving is a good analogy…

I think motorway driving is a very good analogy, it’s your responsibility if you rear-end someone but you’ve also got to look behind you before you swing a big left or right

peachos
    Free Member

tonyd makes some good points but…

– Skiing is harder to learn so once you are confident enough to pick up speed you’ll probably be a bit more proficient at stopping. Worst case, snow plow or fall.

– Boarding is easier to learn (but harder to master) and a lot of people are egged on with lines like “I know it’s a black, but just side slip it” – wrong! If you lose control on a board the tendency is to sit back which makes things a whole lot worse (straightline, pick up speed, no control with weight over back, can’t get your feet out to bail = high speed impact of some kind).

…is completely the wrong way around!

McHamish
    Free Member

tonyd makes some good points but…

…is completely the wrong way around!

This is also a good post…I noticed that but forgot to mention the error of his ways before I agreed with everything he said.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I think tony_d is right on with his assessment of snowboarding being easier to learn. Yes you fall over more in the first week, but typically on a snowboard a beginner will be able to get around more of the mountain in their first week than the equivalent beginner skier, if only because of the dreaded sideslip all the way down the steep slopes.

Skiing defo easier in the first day or two on the bunny slopes and easy greens, but as soon as it gets a bit steeper the beginner snowboarder has it easier.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

working in the ski business you hear this a lot.

fact is that all people who choose to slide down a mountain amongst crowds of complete strangers accepts a risk as to the ability of their fellow skiers and boarders.

I’ve been cut up by virtually every mode of getting down a mountain possible – skiers, boarders, piste bashers, ski bikes and snow mobiles. Some were accidents, some were people being inconsiderate. some were people being dicks.

I’ve cut people up myself (by accident, and I did stop to say sorry) in the past. I snowboard, so that probably helped reinforce the stereotype.

With regards to sitting underneath a crest, I’d say thats a cliche, and you might ski over 100 crests in a day, and the one time you see a snowboarder underneath one, the cliche is reinforced. One could ask the question – should anyone be skiing at full speed over blind crests?

thats my two pennies.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Nothing like lively debate. Seems all we can draw from this is that:

Skiers cut other people up . . .

Snowboarders cut other people up too . . . but probably have a lot more fun in the process!

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

as a boarder ive been taken out by boarders and skiers over the years. there are **** in both sports and it’s not just the boarders. Best decision i ever made was to buy a helmet.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s to do with ski or board. It’s about failing to look ahead and changing line or slowing to avoid endangering those below you.

It is true that a lot of boarders don’t seem to learn slalom turns and only do gs turns which is limiting. It taught myself slalom so that I could turn every second and ride in a three metre wide track on moderate slopes. This is a very useful and fun technique allowing riding at the edge of the run which most people avoid.

We all screw up sometime but some of the behaviour you see on busy runs is worrying. Some good advice i got to avoid being hit was to ride the fall line and not to make big traverses into your blind spot. Be careful out there

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Skiers cut other people up . . .

Snowboarders cut other people up too . . . but probably have a lot more fun in the process!

You are SO wrong! 😉

Jimbo, how’s the new job going, fella?

NZCol

I shouldn’t be so pious though. I once skied into my own class as i was eyeing up a girl i fancied 😯

Bunnyhop

The only times I’ve been taken out were by skiers, both hit me from behind and I’m experienced.

If you’re deciding to stop, do it at the side of the piste,
    When setting off from the side of the piste, look uphill first to check nothing’s coming before you set off,
    Anyone in front has right of way, its up to the person behind to avoid them in a controlled manner, even if they are swerving about all over the show.

nbt

I actually think there is alot to be said for self teaching, it tends to mean you read up on stuff and therefore learn the technicalities more

this assumes you are teaching yourself and reading up, rather than just following your mate “cos it’s easy, innit”

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

CFH – all good thanks – off out to north carolina next month to look at a new place. nice to be working back in brighton.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Happy days, Jimbo! Am jealous!

I’m off to Shanghai and Singapore next month. Not taking my skis, though…..

Off to Hemel on Saturday for a play, though. Hoping to make use of the test pool to try these;

ddmonkey

Thought I’d mention, saw a really nasty collision today between a snowboarder and a skier. I don’t know whose fault it was but both were knocked unconscious for at least a minute and both were wearing helmets. It made me think how much worse it would have been if they were not wearing helmets.

GrahamS

…a lot of boarders don’t seem to learn slalom turns and only do gs turns which is limiting. It taught myself slalom so that I could turn every second and ride in a three metre wide track on moderate slopes.

As a self-taughter: what are “slalom turns” versus “gs turns”?
    Never heard those terms applied to snowboarding before, I’ve only really heard cross-over and cross-under, are they the same?

Cross-under turns:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJVMmQT1OmQ[/video]

Cross-over turns:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzlJqbrnD8A[/video]

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Snow-Boarders – is it just me….?’ is closed to new replies.