Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Snow and handbrake/power slides
  • jamj1974

[/quote]I always tell my kids to find somewhere quiet and do a bit of car sledging when it snows so they won’t be surprised when they get a bit skiddy on normal roads

Great advice – very sensible to do this! No replacement for experience when a car begins to slide.

jamj1974

Jamj1974 totally agree but handbrake at lower speeds gets used to the shock of a car letting go. No handbrake needs more speed…

Good point!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I thought that particular video was his engine siezing not a tankslaper (although it lead to one)?

Although agreed, a tankslapper can’t happen in a car. It’s the bike equivalent of an out of control Scandinavian flick, steering goes left, weight pushes straight on, bike falls right, steering swings right, weight goes foreward/left, steering flops over, etc. The closest thing in a car is overreacting to a skid, and skidding the other way, then again, and again, but the difference is it’s the driver doing it, on a bike it’s out of control.

hora
    Free Member

My bad/wrong descriptive. Mine was slide- 2 wheels hit kerb.

Sambob. I could have driven my bro in laws 2.0T Seat Leon on Uniroyal rainmasters to Surrey/Brighton next weekend but instead I chose my Citroen C1 on Mud+Snow tyres. A very good car (but noisy) 😉

matt_outandabout

I spent an hour in a carpark in the Cairngorms with a couple of nervous drivers in a 17 seat transit minibus a few weeks back. As above, getting used to the surprise when the back starts going (usually) or the front does not turn in. Learning how to add, sustain or reduce power and steer in/out of slides.
    Ace FUN, but also great learning for them imo.

sambob
    Free Member

Audi’s got mud and snow tyres, it’s brilliant in the snow. Was better than our Discovery 2 until we got proper tyres for it.

hora
    Free Member

Win 8)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Selectable 4wd for the win .

Fronteras rwd until tou ask it not to be

MAX BEANS. Round an empty tesco on the way home from skiing

carbon337
    Free Member

What you need is a 92 plate Audi 80 quatro 2.8 v6, a Subaru Impreza turbo and a Sierra Saphire 4.2Litre V8 conversion all mixed together with a dose of unused Airfield and a healthy dose of snow. Drac will know of a place called Brunton Airfield in Northumberland. What a good few days they were in about 2002.

Shame its properly shagged now with pot holes.

deano8
    Free Member

Been teaching skid control to my pupils in a private car park:)
    So much fun but hopefully it will save them should they get careless!!

mechmonkey
    Free Member

4WD with snow tyres on the front and not on the back FTdriftasticW 😆

Also… those slip roads onto the motorway that do a 270deg downhill curve. 😉 😯

jamj1974

I chose my Citroen C1 on Mud+Snow tyres. A very good car (but noisy)

Aygo/C1/107. Some of the best cars out there. I have had massive fun in an Aygo, all whilst obeying the Rules of the road and common sense. Small and light, with a willing engine that loves to be revved, narrow tyres that reach the limit easily. So much enjoyment to be had.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I drive a 1 series BMW – I do lots of sliding about at the moment – whether I want to or not – fortunately in my young days I drove a Datsun pick up and spent a lot of time throwing around supermarket car parks in the snow – learnt lots about throttle and steering control– still like to have a ‘refresher’ when ever the opportunity arises

Couple of years back the wife caught me power sliding the 3 series touring around DIY stores car park after she had popped in for something –she was less then impressed

awkwardkid
    Free Member

I’ve a tasty s bend on the way into the quiet close i live on, snap of hand break (Scandinavian flick) i can happily drift into, during and out. Had a round of applause when coming back laden with kids and shopping earlier today 😀
    B&Q has had a good thrash over the past few days as well!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Snow and handbrake/power slides’ is closed to new replies.