Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • snorkelling – kit advice
  • Haribo
    Free Member

ok so we are off to the maldives in July 🙂

sometimes (depending on salinity of sea or depth) the wife likes to wear a buoyancy jacket to increase confidence.

those life jacket type things are bulky and chafe (sp) anyone any exp of these and how robust they are (i.e. will they burst if it glances against coral?? – also "crotch" strap doesnt sound very comfy 😐 –

http://www.simplysnorkel.com/products/TUSA/SnorkelingVest.aspx

oh and any advice on new fins – get boots as well?? Ive always used hire gear before and nearly always get bad cramp because of poor fitting

mafiafish
    Free Member

If you're only going to be snorkelling in tropical areas pool fins with the foot pocket would be most cost effective. The boots do prevent rub rom sand grains in the foot pocket though. The boot fitting fins are generally bigger and less flexible as they are more suited to diving than snorkelling so might be a bit hingh effort. It's worth looking at split fin tyes as they are more comfotable in terms of strength needed.

Spamf
    Free Member

I've used a very similar design before. It was fine, adding reasuring bouyancy in choppy conditions. Nice and comfy, with the crotch strap not being as uncomfy as it sounds.

As for the bad cramp, that's usually to do with kicking too hard, not bad fit. Bad fitting fins can rub and blister feet; I smother my feet in vaseline and had no problems.

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!!

Tango-Man
    Free Member

I have been to the Maldives and done some snorkelling, firstly, get a mask that fits, properly, once this is in place it will make the snorkelling a lot more fun and if it is anything like Meeru there will be a chance to go out onto a reef via a boat, these are equipped with bouyancy aids, then decent fins are very useful, I went to decathlon and tried loads on and settled on some mares fins that and a breathing tube to complement the mask and I wasted about 7 of the 10 days with my head under water, the shoes are usefull as the beaches are made up of broken coral, a little coarse in places

You will have a great time

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘snorkelling – kit advice’ is closed to new replies.