Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Snorkeling and car keys.
  • zippykona

Back in the old days it didn’t matter if your key got wet.
    Last year I put the hire car key in a plastic bag and then in my pocket.
    It leaked a bit so would like something better this year.
    Whether it be a tow hitch key safe our some super duper waterproof bag.
    Not sure how heavy those tow hitch locks are as we will have it in hand luggage.

IHN

My other half got a ‘dumb’ key cut that would unlock the door, but wouldn’t start the car (cos there was no transceiver chip in it).

She’d lock the ‘real’ key in the car using the ‘dumb’ key and swim with the ‘dumb’ key on a string round her neck (under her wetsuit).

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Lomo have some good waterproof cases

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/DRY-BOX-YELLOW-TUBE.HTML

allfankledup

Standard practice is normally to get key cut that just opens the door, but does not have the electric gadgetry, then put proper key inside car and take low tech key swimming/surfing/kayaking

Might not Timspns in L’Estartit though

nickjb
    Free Member

I used to use an otter box when UK shore diving. They do nice little ones with an eye for a clip

edit: this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/OtterBox-1000-Drybox-Case-Yellow/dp/B001DAU10U although it seems they’ve stopped making it

I’ve also found the dry bags with the clip top to be absolutely fine. Happy to put my phone in one when kayaking and snorkelling so would be fine for keys.

Like this: https://aquapac.net/store/shop/waterproof-phone-cases/waterproof-phone-case-small/

TheBrick
    Free Member

Nature’s pocket is the best way to go.

zippykona

It’s a hire car so getting a key cut is not an option.

jimdubleyou

Buy Rent a Land Rover with their fancy activity key.

Or if you can’t get a Land Rover: depending on how deep you plan on going, get an Otterbox or an Aquapac Keymaster.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Another vote for a dumb key. Keep the proper one in the boot or glovebox.

“It’s a hire car so getting a key cut is not an option.”

Why? Worth the few pounds it’ll cost rather than breaking the key or having the car stolen.

molgrips
    Free Member

We once lost the second fancy electronic key for one car, for several months. Turned up in one of the many pockets in my Endura Humvees. They’d been on many rides and been washed many times. Key still worked.

Toyota ftw.

antigee

a lot of surfers / kite surfers around our way use those key safe padlocks and put the key in that – usually see them attached to tow bar eye or even on spokes of alloy wheels or door handles – though few cars have those now – bit of an unknown with a hire car but would have though somewhere possible grovelling underneath – bit heavy in luggage though

wzzzz
    Free Member

Put the key in a condom and tie off.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Or….

Any flip key can be opened and the metal blade removed. Its how they put them in the first place.

Just flick it open or unscrew and remove the blade from the key.

Reassemble before handing back.

johnners
    Free Member

Isn’t that just for wristwatches? Mine’s supposed to be good for 200m but I like to play it safe…

spot
    Free Member

Aloksak

nealglover
    Free Member

😆

Unless he hires a Koenigsegg CCXR that is…. 😯

antigee

TheBrick – Member

i thought that was some sort of orifice suggestion – not sure if want to google it

mechanicaldope

If you going snorkeling you must be near a beach. Simply bury the key in the sand. When you have finished playing in the sea all you have to do is locate the correct bit of beach in dig it up again. What could go wrong?

IHN

Simply bury the key in the sand. When you have finished playing in the sea all you have to do is locate the correct bit of beach in dig it up again. What could go wrong?

For extra help, mark the position with a shell or a stone.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

When I went scuba diving I used to hang the keys over the top of the suspension spring. Don’t know how my car didn’t get stolen!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Cintinue using a plasticbag andwrap it in tape.

Wrap itit clingfilm.

Condom would be perfect but careful it doesnt go flying out your hand after you remove it!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Us lot use a number of options:
    Keysafe’s (little coded locks with flap for keys) deterrent at best, easily opened with a screwdriver unfortunately, but it’s the better option because it’s seen on the car.
    Aquapack’s, sealed leak proof bags with lanyard for your neck. Nice enough by the lanyard can throttle the life out of you if not careful… under wetsuits not so bad because the neoprene presses against your body trapping the bag to your body, but they do work thier way down to the weight of the bag/key. We hang em’ around our necks and throw the key back over our backs so not to interfere if we land on our chests climbing on/off boards etc.
    Condoms, useless. They break/rip and you loose the key to the water ingress.
    Sandwichbags, fine for short periods, tend to leak if not fully wrapped and maybe taped up.
    Hiding key under/on top of wheel or under bumper.. well, can be ok but the wheels the first place anyone looks on the beach, the bumper recesses are ok if you are lucky, alloy wheel gaps are useless as wind gets through and key can get blown away/lost in sand.
    Hiding key somewhere on beach, effective if you can remember where it is, but kids and detectorists scour the local looking for buried treasure..and hey presto’ they’ve found a key!
    Swallowing it.. not an option unless happy to wait until morning for the inevitable..

And the whole proximity key fiasco is proving absolutely hilarious these days for these keyless entry fangled dangled modern solution to a problem that never existed..

HtH’s

MSP

This is what I use for open water swimming.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquapac-604-Keymaster/dp/B0012BQZ0A

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    theotherjonv

rather than a condom, a kids balloon. Far cheaper too.

alpin
    Free Member

park car with it in gear. roll car back a little and put key under wheel. let the car roll back onto the key.

used to do this with a mate when we shared a car for a few months back in my teens.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why not just hide in some part of the body work?

Ive done it loads of times

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

How about sliding a tight(ish) fitting sleeve of inner tube over your snorkel ,pull bottom half of this up over the key entombing it in a nice little snug, super secure and probably waterproof cocoon-works well on bike too 😀

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I use one of these for surfing… it was ideal, just can’t remember where I packed it when we moved!!!

locking box thingy

You can usually find somewhere to hang it on a car, if not then on a bit of nearby street furniture… just need to get creative!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Although something like this may also work – less secure, but easier to stash about the car (on chassis)

magnetic key box

aracer
    Free Member

I normally put my key in the spring next to the front wheel. Given nobody else has mentioned it I presume it’s not the most obvious place for people to look. There are more obscure locations on the bodywork to hide a key if you’re creative though. Alternatively under a nearby rock, though I get that’s an issue if you have people looking for things under rocks – maybe not the best solution for the beach.

Alternatively I’ve taken my car key in a waterproof dry-bag designed for mobile phones when going sea-kayaking – usually also with a mobile phone in it. Though in that case it’s just getting splashed or at worst in less than a metre of water if I get knocked in, not sure what depth such things are rated to.

allfankledup

I normally put my key in the spring next to the front wheel. Given nobody else has mentioned it I presume it’s not the most obvious place for people to look.

Every kayaker since the dawn of driving to rivers has used that – so common that people use it as a means to hide a key in plain sight. inside the bumper was slightly better…

if you lose the car (stolen) because the keys were left then isn’t your insurance invalid ?

johndoh
    Free Member

Any flip key can be opened and the metal blade removed. Its how they put them in the first place.

This. My key has a quick release button which makes it dead simple.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The key on the wheel has been used for yonks, hence it’s well known place to look.. still doesn’t stop some of my mates doing just that method… not me mind.

I use one of these (I mentioned above) you can get in it if you wiggle a screwdriver in between the flap and the box (it’s a well known penetration method) but anyone willing to carry a screwdriver and ram it into the key lock is open to other beach goers scrutiny… or they may not say anything… but at least it’s visiable as mines normally on the roof rack.. but mates do lock them onto door handles, and I’ve seen someone with thier door handle ripped off and the lock gone missing…

Generally (I say tongue in cheek) nobody ever hangs around or tampers with cars these days on beaches, you do occasionally hear of someone having issues, but I really can’t remember the last time I heard of someone having their car broken into.. other than that lad who had his door handle ripped off (was in Newquay, so he may have pissed someone off on the water)

DrP

rather than a condom, a kids balloon. Far cheaper too.

Make sure you get ribbed, for Junior’s pleasure, though.

DrP

nealglover
    Free Member

Rent a Mercedes, a metal key that opens/locks the car slides out of the top of the remote fob.

Cougar

From memory, I think with every remote locking car I’ve ever had, separating the physical key from the remote was trivial. Usually a clip or button. It was so easy on my Hyundai that it used to separate in my pocket.

winston
    Free Member

So how do all these solutions work with a proximity key?

The keysafe won’t work as too close to car – I guess if you were in 2 seperate cars you could lock them to each others!

If you remove the blade can you manually lock the door with the proximity key inside? You can’t normally lock my keys inside

I use an Aquapac keymaster

EDIT – just tried with my blade and leaving the proximity key inside – worked fine! Thats great, as the key blade is much smaller and can get wet. Thanks for that

trail_rat
    Free Member

I just leave mine under the towel on the beach.

Where I live too many reports of shmbags watching surfers place their keys under the car somewhere or in key safe (very obvious to see them do it) and it makes stealing the car in a very quiet area nice and easy.

Mean while when I put my towel down somewhere with key under its both discrete and make determining which car it is a bit harder – esp as I don’t have remote central locking

johndoh
    Free Member

I just leave mine under the towel on the beach

You could belt and braces that by burying the key (in a condom/balloon/bag or whatever) too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Snorkeling and car keys.’ is closed to new replies.