Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Snooker/Pool players, cue advice
  • nostrils
    Free Member

Hi all, recently started going to the local snooker hall with some workmates and am looking to buy my own cue. It seems that all the loaner cues in the rack are slightly warped or have rattly tips and its also a PITA to sort through 50+ cues trying to find a half decent one. I also find them too light? We mainly play snooker with the odd game of pool, will one cue suffice for both games?

Earlier today I bought a £31 BCE cue from Sports Direct but upon assembling it discovered that it was out of alignment due to off centre screw joiners so I got a refund.

I know that cues are highly personal and a cue that might work for one person, might not work for another and that you should try before you buy but I don’t really have the experience yet to recognize what works for me or not.

So the question is, what should I look for in a cue for a beginner? Any recommendations for brands/models? Budget of around £60 or so.

Many thanks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Used to play a lot when I was young, boroughs and watts (burwat for short) were the good cues then, try and get a second hand one, will be far better quality and trueness than anything from the likes of sports direct. Riley burwat are good too, but a bit cheaper IIRC.

Basil

Like bikes, the cue you buy now will not be the cue you stay with. As you progress what you want/need will develope.
    What is unplayable tip wise now will become natural.
    Buy something straight and not too expensive. You will know what you really want in some months.

somafunk

Next time you go to the snooker hall try and approach a few other players when they are not at the table and explain your wanting a new cue/ask them if it would be possible to have a few shots with their cue – there is a significant difference in how different cues play on the table and merely picking a cue up in a shop will not tell you how it transfers to action on the table.

(I used to play a lot, biggest break was 79 – go me! 😉 )

sparkerfix
    stevied
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near Malvern I’ve got a couple of good quality cues I’m selling..

benp1

I’m a peradon fan personally

Presumably you’re playing 8 ball pool, not 9 ball pool. Has different cues, one is useful for snooker, the other isn’t.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Snooker/Pool players, cue advice’ is closed to new replies.