Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • SNES mini – worth a punt?
  • clevertrevor
    Free Member

Seen these back in stock again for £70. Loved the original and super MARIO got played for hours and hours.

Does the system give a sharp image on an HD tv or is it all pixelly on a big screen? Have read about some settings where you can smooth the pixelation but no idea what that’s like.

It’s not much money so debating if worth it, even tho got a wii and tbh find the image quality poor on a big tv as gotnso used to PS4 full hD graphics.

gnusmas

I don’t know if they are any good, i bought one from Game for £79.99 when they were first released with birthday vouchers i had. Bought for the same reason as you, loved the games.

Still in the box!

Jakester
    Free Member

I was really interested in one of these but couldn’t get one for love nor money at the time, so I got a Raspberry Pi and installed Retropie instead.

For around half the price you get SNES as well as NES and Sega stuff too. Might be worth a look?

nuke

I understand it comes with 20 games preloaded but can you add/play additional games? Never did finish B.O.B. but it doesn’t come with that

devash
    Free Member

A more economical option would be to just purchase a couple of SNES USB controllers and run an emulator through your TV via the HDMI socket on a computer or laptop. That way you can have all the games you’d ever want for every system.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not a follower of console gaming, so knew nothing about these until reading this thread. Looks like you cannot buy more games for it besides what it comes with, but given it comes with 21 games, the SNES mini doesn’t look a bad deal at ~£4 per game.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

Google mini snes hakchi for adding games
    Don’t own one myself yet

richmtb

I’ve got one, its great.

Its very easy to add extra games if you want to

makkag
    Free Member

You Can add additional games/art to the Nes classic and Snes classic very easily (Google Hakchi 2). But as pointed out RetroPie is usually a better option if you have any literacy .. Also can get it pre-configured with Wireless Controllers via ebay etc .. will have 2600 up to PS1 on it !

jamj1974

SNES and mini-SNES in our home. My son James loves it and we play together too. Brilliant fun as it always was.

jimdubleyou

I have one – have factory reset it, as may give it to family member for birthday.

I was sad it didn’t have Bomberman on it…

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I love mine. Kept it in the box and got it out at Christmas. Its fab. It does look less good if you have a big tv that only likes 1080HD and BluRay type levels of signal (does for me anyway) but its got all my favorites plus plenty I’ve not played before. My 5 and 2 year old children love it – but the competition on Mario Kart isnt great 😀

I’d like to get controllers with longer cables.
    I’d like to be able to add games but dont think that is possible? – I’d love Pilot Wings
    How have my Street Fighter 2 skills diminished so much in just 25 years?

clevertrevor
    Free Member

Hmmmm decisions decisions. May go for it, given stock issues can prob sell on easy enough if don’t use much.

Jakester
    Free Member

paulneenan76 – Member
    – I’d love Pilot Wings

Thank you! I’ve been racking my brains for the name of that game. That and Starfox take me right back to my youth.

zilog6128

If the cost is not an issue, I’d,say go for it. Very neat little system, easy to use, portable, (most importantly) the controllers are very good.

Yes, it’s blocky on a big telly, of course it’s going to be… why would you want it not to be? Graphics still look great, fast & smooth

I’d like to be able to add games but dont think that is possible? – I’d love Pilot Wings

not done it personally but apparently very easy. Just google it.

plyphon
    Free Member

Played ours once – went ‘Ah, old games aren’t as good as I remembered’ and haven’t touched it since.

I’m waiting for the N64 mini.

richmtb

I’ve got about 80 games on mine now.

Including Pilotwings, Bomberman, Rock n Roll racing etc

It’s really not hard, you need the hakchi2 program and the snes roms you want to upload.

There are plenty of tutorials online (including youtube videos)

Once its done the interface looks the same as previously just with extra games

zilog6128

Played ours once – went ‘Ah, old games aren’t as good as I remembered’

couldn’t disagree more! The SNES was the first system I played with genuinely good games AND the processing power to run them properly (unlike the bulk of home computer systems from the 80s/early 90s). SMB, SMK, SF2 etc all stood the test of time & still great fun today. Their simplicity is their strength IMO which makes them very addictive.

Plus are you saying you prefer Mario Kart 64 to SMK 😯

jamj1974

Plus are you saying you prefer Mario Kart 64 to SMK

If he is saying that he deserves a permanent ban IMHO.

sc-xc

I was good at SMK – clocked several times in normal and mirror using DKJR and Bowser…

But MK64 was better.

Especially Battle Mode Block Fort.

sbob
    Free Member

SNES mini – worth a punt?

Only if you want me to kick your arse on Super Mario Kart.
    Baggsie Bowser. 😈

somafunk

woohoo, cheers for the heads up, i didn’t realise the snes mini was re-released.

jimjam
    Free Member

clevertrevor – Member

Does the system give a sharp image on an HD tv or is it all pixelly on a big screen?

zilog6128 – Member

If the cost is not an issue, I’d,say go for it. Very neat little system, easy to use, portable, (most importantly) the controllers are very good.

Yes, it’s blocky on a big telly, of course it’s going to be… why would you want it not to be? Graphics still look great, fast & smooth

I think it’s a valid point. IIRC a lot of the roms/rmulators available have various types of anti-aliasing or upscaling scripts on them to make them look better on today’s much higher res screens. That’s not to say that they should look radically different, but imo there should be something built into them to optimise how they look on a 4k screen, especially since this is basically money for old rope.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

It’s ace. Wife had got me one for Christmas. Lost hours on SMW and SMK already. Relieved to still be awesome at SMK, disappointed at the hard work I’m making of SMW.

Haven’t even looked at the other games on there yet!

palmer77
    Free Member

Definitely! Look at Pattern Plays etc on You Tube and get hold of Hakchi2 from GitHub plus loads of HMods to play Game Boy/Color/Advance, NES, SNES, N64, Game Gear, Master System, Mega Drive, PC Engine, Atari 2600 plus Neo Geo and Mame arcade games.

You can now also use a USB host to hold more games, and again see the tutorials on You Tube. I should say, it’s obviously not legal to download games you don’t own…

Milkie
    Free Member

Does the system give a sharp image on an HD tv or is it all pixelly on a big screen? Have read about some settings where you can smooth the pixelation but no idea what that’s like.

It’s both, it is a sharp pixelly image. I think you can add scanlines for the CRT effect. Have a look on YT for examples.

If you are fine with installing an OS and have a couple of hours spare to configure a few things go with a Pi3 and download RetroPie which is free. Graphics are the same as SNES mini, but with RetroPie there is a lot more stuff you can configure. It runs well out of the box, but you can add scanlines, CRT effects and other things which makes it look like it did 25 years ago.

I’ve had a quick look at hakchi2 for the SNES Mini, which allows you to install RetroArch which means you can add the emulators for NES, Atari, etc… The cheaper option would be to use RetroPie which uses RetroArch, a Pi3, and buy the usb controllers, or use PS3/PS4 DS controller. imo this option is a lot more versatile.

palmer77
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/Jt_DprGPCOw[/video]

jamj1974

c-xc – Member
    I was good at SMK – clocked several times in normal and mirror using DKJR and Bowser…

But MK64 was better.

Especially Battle Mode Block Fort.

Reported!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘SNES mini – worth a punt?’ is closed to new replies.