Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sneaky late night Marin, mudguards, Chinese lights, cheapo dropper, pic thread..
  • Poopscoop

Seems a safe time of night to expose my love for all things Marin…. well QUAD 2 Marin particularly anyway. Wiki also says that 1 in 10 men actually like Marin’s but just keep the fact hidden for sake of prejudice. I think the article I read was about Marin’s anyway??

If you have a mild disposition regarding gratuitous pictures of QUAD suspension, mudguards, bodged Chinese light setups, el-cheapo dropper posts or general mincing please look away now. 😉

First, my baby.
    Had her since January. Couldn’t ride till late Summer due to health so spent the time doing a nut and bolt rebuild and budget biased upgrade. New (to me) forks, shock, wheels, bar, saddle, DB5’s, gripshifters. With a smattering of 1x 11 GX rear mech and Absolute Black N/W chainring. Love the 1x 11 setup and oval ring.

The redundant gripshifter now just controls the cheap (but oh so reliable) Satori dropper post.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zLQCk3]2010 Attack Trail[/url] by poopy doop, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zUrgja]2015-10-24_06-27-06[/url] by poopy doop, on Flickr

Mincing around in the Autumn sun.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/znz4d8]20150930_161455[/url] by poopy doop, on Flickr

YINDING YD-2XU2 lights lashed to lid, lead plugging into battery on front of camelbak.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ypQgCg]20150930_154449[/url] by poopy doop, on Flickr

Brite-R 2x CREE XML U2 bodged with tape onto stem with battery below.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zjpyb1]2015-10-02 13.58.29[/url] by poopy doop, on Flickr

The view with both lights on at Medium. Quite impressed.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/z5cNE2]20150930_212258[/url] by poopy doop, on Flickr

Anyway, now the nights are going to start REAL early it looks like my Marin and I will be out even more in the darkness testing the cheap lights…. and my nerves on the spooky solo rides I quite like.

“Whats that noise behind me??…”

Happy riding all. Whatever bike you ride.

Xylene
    Free Member

“Whats that noise behind me??…”

I generally find it is zombies or Derek from next door with his cock in his hand coming out of the bushes again. I always have to remind him he is only meant to approach the dog walkers, not the cyclists.

xc-steve
    Free Member

I’ve tried to look at these pictures with an open mind I really have…. goes off to his shed to ride his mondraker… 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zippykona

In the last 2 years no one has been able to tell me if those rear mudguards make any difference.
    I shall ask again!
    However I love Marin’s,mudguards and bodged lights so I’m giving you a thumbs up.
    I shall be out tonight. Pics to follow 😀

Saccades
    Free Member

I don’t like the look of the saddle mudguard thing, but it’s at night so 8)

I like the thought of using the dead shifter for the dropper, igenious.

I quite like it.

In the last 2 years no one has been able to tell me if those rear mudguards make any difference.

I tried one and still got my arse covered in mud. Considering how ugly they are, I ditched it

z1ppy

your enjoying it and that what counts, don’t need the latest kit to have fun, but again I do wonder about the point of those ass savers… get some waterproof shorts, they’ll shirely be more effective.

zippykona

Surely a guard that protects your light and dropper would be a good investment.

Poopscoop

zippykona – Member
    Surely a guard that protects your light and dropper would be a good investment.

Agree mate. The Mucky Nutz guards, front and rear are a compromise solution to be honest. If the mud is really bad I do still get the odd bit flicked in the face. The rear mud guard seems to stop most of mud getting onto my shorts but still get some further up on my top. I don’t mind that so much.

The dropper only cost £63 and though the gator is… an acquired taste… it does it’s job as it gets no love from me and just keeps on working, even allowing for my near 15 stone weight. The dropper is my favorite budget purchase on the bike in fact. 🙂

Poopscoop

Saccades – Member
    I don’t like the look of the saddle mudguard thing, but it’s at night so
    I like the thought of using the dead shifter for the dropper, igenious.
    I quite like it.

I’d like to take credit for that idea but it seems people use converted trigger shifts, grip shifts and Lord knows what else to control cable remote droppers. 🙂

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Really like this bike, it’s functional and has a personality. I’ve got a cheapo chinese light too, going to get another for the lid on payday.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

That vintage of Marin Attack Trail is bombproof – i had one (stolen) and it was ok uphill with a double but it hammered the downs almost like a DH bike.

zippykona

Cheap stupidly bright ,bodged Chinese light check.
    Mudguards ,check.
    Sneaky late afternoon Marin, check.

Poopscoop

Well, that makes two of us at least. 😉

Poopscoop

LOL, just noticed from the last shot you have the same Truvativ bar as me too.

zippykona

Excellent bars. My Marin used to feel really twitchy compared to my Spearfish.
    The front feels rock solid now..
    There’s a mile long decent on my ride on which 2.52 is my best time using the Spearfish. In the dark and grinding to a halt in a quagmire I managed 3.01 last night. Good lights and a good bike.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sneaky late night Marin, mudguards, Chinese lights, cheapo dropper, pic thread..’ is closed to new replies.