Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Snapping spokes thru' the awesumness of leg power alone…
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Anyone else get this, or am I just teh rad awsumz.. 😆

26″ Orange Five w/ Pro 2s built on WTB Speedisc. Been riding this wheel for years with no problems, yet this avo’ at Glentress the rear made a kind of ‘cassette slipping clunk noise’ under full load uphill, I thought nothing of it, until the gears started slipping about all over the place. Nearly lost the rear mech as well, as the snapped spoke was happily fouling as the wheel went round.

I’ve snapped spokes this way before on my 20″ wheel shopping bike, but that’s to be expected – cos the wheels are crap. This is the first time on a ‘proper’ bike though.

I can only put it down to the sub-zero temperatures at Glentress today. Probably made the metal a bit brittle..?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Unless it was -50. It’s more likely the wheel is falling apart.

Time for a new one.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Been riding this wheel for years

Metal fatigue.

ampthill

The wheel got cold increasing spoke tension?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Except the aluminium rim will shrink more than the steel spokes, decreasing spoke tension. ……

oldnick

And Roger Musson doesn’t like loose spokes…

Dibbs
    Free Member

I snapped one on a climb on my Ksyrium Pro Disc rear on the CX bike the other day, and they’re something like 2.5mm diameter. Does that make me awsum too?

Wheel only 10 months old BTW.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’m putting it down to radness to teh awsumz… 8)

Bloody annoying though… gota replace the gawd-damn spoke now.. *humph*

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Unexplained spoke snappage usually means you need to swap all the spokes.

Speshpaul

Just check the hub body for cracks, it can happen and the ratchet ring can then slip in the body, give that skipping feeling.

martymac

ghostlymachine, thats been my experience too.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Swap all the spokes… for what? Carbon ones? Titanium ones?

I’m sure the wheel’s okay, but I’ll give it a good ol’ check-bot when I whack in a new spoke. Sure it’s okay. It’s been bomber. For years.

🙂

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

It’s happened to me recently, 2 spokes at once, on my Capra. It’s a small price to pay for awesomeness, it’s like being a super hero, you just need to live with it 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d be checking the rim carefully for cracks a the spoke holes too. Once a wheel starts failing it can be a slippery slope to a rebuild and a new rim.

Dibbs
    Free Member

When I used to ride a lot I found that OEM spokes would last 12-18 months and then the drive side ones would start to fail at the bend. After 2 or 3 had failed I’d rebuild the wheel using DT Comps, problem sorted.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Swap all the spokes… for what? Carbon ones? Titanium ones?

New ones!

I’m sure the wheel’s okay

I’d not put any money on that! If it was a good build (it should be if it’s lasted for years) and there is no obvious reason for the spoke to snap (crash, gouges from chain, other damage) its probably fatigue, which means all your other spokes will be at a similar level of remaining life. In fact, snapping the one spoke could well have had a knock on effect on all the others……..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Snapping spokes thru' the awesumness of leg power alone…’ is closed to new replies.