Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Snapping spokes
  • holly
    Free Member

For many years I have ridden on 317's and not broken spokes.

But last month with only riding on the road and on very easy going cycle paths I broke 3 spokes on this set of 317's.
    Got the wheel trued but then found out the shop cant build wheels, which made me think maybe they are not very good at truing after checking both our rear wheels after they were done.
    And lo riding along the road on the mountain bike another spoke broke.
    I dont know what make of spokes are in the wheels.

Any ideas why the spokes keep snapping ??

bigyinn
    Free Member

Age? How old is the wheel? What sort of use does it / has it had?

NickScots
    Free Member

Could be aluminium fatigue, they all start breaking.

Is it def. the spokes or the nipples ? My LBS swears by only fitting brass ones.

Nick

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They get to an age and just snap, about 2-3 years of riding every week, sooner if they get more stick.

Time for new wheels?

MisterT

if your LBS is anything like mine then it'll be run by a bunch of knowitalls who actualy know v-little about wheels, i.e they over tighten the spokes. and in doing so, they cause the spokes to snap or the nipples (if alloy) to fail.

I spoke to them about it (no pun intended) and they admit they think it's right to just do those spokes up as tight as **ck.

get a proper builder to do it (justridingalong or harry rowland imo)

or get the kit and learn how to do it yourself.. (I took the former option)

nickc

Where are they snapping usual failure point is either the bend as you're building. Or where they cross after a few years. Just respoke the rim

MisterT

btw I have 5yr old XC wheels built by justridingalong, used all year round, rough XC training and racing in the peaks and lakes, with alloy nipples and supercomp spokes, and never broken a spoke.

I've bent 3 spokes in a crash. sent them back to jra and they fixed it quick and for just £20 inc post.

priceless

(yet my LBS's built/mended road wheels using comp spokes and brass nipples have had 6 broken spokes in the last 2 years)

so have given up on LBS wheels.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Bathtub failure – all same age with same amount of cycling = all fail at roughly the same time. If you get one snap it strains the others too. At a guess.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Snapping spokes’ is closed to new replies.