Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Snapped XT 10spd Chain
  • Ladders
    Free Member

First race of the year, and brand new XT chain snaps on the first lap!

I was thinking that maybe it had gone where I’d joined it, but it has gone on one of the ‘normal’ links. Anyone had this before? I’m going to send it back, but should I just exchange it or swap for another brand?

Cheers!

RS4KEV

Snapped two in last 6 months. Now on a SRAM 10spd.

Ladders
    Free Member

How long has the SRAM lasted?

tragically1969
    Free Member

All Shimano chains are crap, well crapper than KMC anyway, never had a problem with KMC, had plenty with Shimano

chives
    Free Member

I found a link that was beginning to separate, but it was a joining pin jobbie. Pliers/file seem to have sorted it for the time being, but I’ve got a Wippermann connex to try next..

RS4KEV

Only had it for a month or so, too early too say more

beanieripper
    Free Member

I assumed everyone knew that for ever everyone has known that shimano chains snap, sram are better or just buy a kmc, which in my experience never snap, compared to the countless shimano ones ive snapped

nickc

sometimes chains will go. One of those things IME. If you ask the shop nicely they’ll probably replace it.

Ladders
    Free Member

Is there any SRAM or kmc model that’s equivalent to xt, or are they all pretty much the same?

danielgroves
    Free Member

Had a Shimano XTR 10-speed chain for about a month, no issues yet. Had Shimano’s cheapest 9-speed before I went ten speed. About two years use before it finally snapped, and it was well past the need for replacement by then.

gaberin
    Free Member
    Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Most chainring ramps are quite nasty devices to speed up chain shifting and can quite easily bend chain links , especially under race stresses, so not necessarily user error, just chains go through a lot of pressure and punishment. I always wince with my SLX chainrings ramping up with a clunk, although not under pressure in changing. Personally the shimano chains I have used in the past have been noisy and never broken, but have always preferred SRAM chains.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Snapped XT 10spd Chain’ is closed to new replies.