Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Snapped Steerer
  • will
    Free Member

So I was just riding along the other day, coming upto a junction and my bars suddenly tilted forward, I roll to a stop, very slowly. Get off, and see that i’ve snapped my steerer. Completely snapped clean off.

Now, It’s a road bike, I bought it 18 months ago, secondhand, have done around 12,000 miles on it. Think the previous owner had it from new about 3 years, but no proof of that.

Bike manufacturer is saying warranty is with original owner, and not me, which I understand. However I kind of find it hard to accept that “these things happen” and I should just have to buy another pair?

I know it’s their word against mine that I wasn’t hit by a car or crashed, but I didn’t.

Thoughts?

legend
    Free Member

Snapped at the stem? Probs overtorqued

singlespeedstu

Bike manufacturer is saying warranty is with original owner, and not me, which I understand.

No more to say then.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Buy some new ones or just glue the old ones back together and hope for the best..

Rorschach
    Free Member

So.
    4 and a half year old bike.
    Bought 2nd hand.
    No history of previous use.
    Just.
    Riding.
    Along.

I kind of find it hard to accept that “these things happen” and I should just have to buy another pair?
    I know it’s their word against mine that I wasn’t hit by a car or crashed, but I didn’t.

tjagain

Things break – it won’t have broken suddenly – it will have been failing for a while. Crabon fibber? Perhaps over tightened

iainc

So you have done 650 plus miles a month on it, say previous owner did the same, so 36k miles total potentially ? Bike may have had a tough life, road salt, all conditions….. sounds like its ‘done’ to me….

will
    Free Member

Alu steerer. Always tightened bolts with a torque meter.

On that basis I should probably replace forks every few years then…

Rorschach
    Free Member

But did the original owner who paid for the warranty?
    Correct.
    And handlebars.

dovebiker

Not uncommon – particularly if there’s a big stack of spacers under the stem.

will
    Free Member

No spacers under the stem.

Kind of thought this was the case. But still, pretty scary that it happened.

Rorschach
    Free Member

What happened was scary.
    That it does happen,less so.
    Scary things occur almost constantly.It is a side effect of being alive.Scarier things will most likely happen to you in the near future, until you finally expire.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’d be thanking my lucky stars I still had teeth, not expecting anything from anyone for what is just a load of second hand stuff bolted together and moving on.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

1) weak humblebrag on mileage
    2) you know for sure the steerer/fork/bike suffered no damage in the hands of the first owner, they never scored or scratched or overtightened it?

If you expect warranty support, buy new.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Remember that inquest when a guy died after his steerer snapped?

I think there was an interesting discussion on using bike components long term, particularly lightweight ones.

singlespeedstu

On a more positive note i’ve noticed that rorschach has propper uped his game on the meme’s.
    Though to be fair it’s not as cutting as his pre meme words which were far more cutting/funny.
    Fails to find a nmeme that is more cutting than cutting words. 😐

I kind of find it hard to accept that “these things happen” and I should just have to buy grow another pair?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Buy a lottery ticket, that sounds potentially scarier than one side of a dropped bar handlebar shearing off!

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d say 12,000 miles in 18 months is a lot, so if the previous owner was also high mileage plus it’s an alu steerer (so it will fatigue) then, as above, it’s done.

If I was packing in that many miles I would either buy new or get something with a steel steerer and put up with the weight penalty 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

My understanding is that the difference between steel and aluminium is that aluminium will always fatigue under stress, whereas steel needs to be under relatively high stress before it starts to fatigue.

Sauce:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_limit

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Snapped Steerer’ is closed to new replies.