Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Snapped Stanley plane
  • yeager2004
    Free Member

My Stanley plane, a tool which was my Dad’s and I’m really quite attached to, was calrelessly dropped by my son onto the garage floor.

The metal base has snapped clean in two – it’s a clean snap and I’m hoping I can glue the two half back together again.

Is it feasible to repair it? Any recommendations as to the best glue to use, or am I wasting my time?

It looks (or rather looked) like this:

Thanks

pk13

Silver solder will do it. No92 is my favorite hand tool of all time. It might not be straight after its been done.

globalti
    Free Member

That’s not a plane, it’s a rebate plane for fitting doors. Glue will be a waste of time, welding then re-grinding might work.

pk13

It’s not for fitting doors. It’s a proper tool 😉

teasel
    Free Member

Mowgli
    Free Member

I had a similar Record plane which I snapped by dropping. Was gutted as it had similar sentimental value. Managed to get a replacement off ebay. I think brazing might be possible perhaps?

fasthaggis

OP

Could you pin or dowel it,before solder/brazing ?
    Might make a neater ,and easier to hide joint.

yeager2004
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

My soldering skills unfortunately only extend as far as circuit boards and plumbing.

I was hoping that someone might suggest something like Epoxy glue might do the trick…

sandboy

That is a shoulder plane you have there which is used to ease the shoulders of tenons. I work as a carpentry lecturer in an FE college and as you can imagine, this happens quite often. I’m not sure how they are welded/brazed back together but our engineering department have always come up trumps and the repaired tools have been as good as new. All is not lost.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Was it on a conveyor belt?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Snapped Stanley plane’ is closed to new replies.