Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Snapped Spoke
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Was out on a fairly long ride for me – 85ish km, when half way through, as a stopped for a breather in the mountains, miles from anywhere other than roving wild Elephas Maximus there was a ping and a spoke snapped on the drive side

First time this has happened to me. I fiddled with it, couldn’t get it out, and ended up bending it around the hub and hoping for the best.

What are you meant to do when spokes snap mid ride? Should I just have carried on with it flapping around or did the right thing and bend it out of the way.]

Why would it suddenly snap when stopped? I know I’m a fat git, but that is a bit rude doing that. I was just glad I had 31 more to support my mass.

I’m now struggling to find someone to replace it, no one seems to have that size of spoke, so it may be new wheel time. carbon bling here I come.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m now struggling to find someone to replace it, no one seems to have that size of spoke, so it may be new wheel time. carbon bling here I come.

lol you really want a new wheel

When it snaps wrap it round another one if you can’t get it out. What obscure spoke nipples are you using?
    http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Icetoolz-Spoke-Key-10-15G-SS_182?gclid=Cj0KEQjwrJ2tBRD13N7T5u7k9I8BEiQA5APAACGjyqsB9ZNHMd79gL4zO814YEYNyza2BCbZeL-QYwgaAoV78P8HAQ

Stainless Steel Spoke – 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15G

scuttler

I’ve done something similar. A wheel won’t fall to bits with one missing but admittedly it would put extra stress on the adjacent and probably opposite spokes. Flapping around is bad particularly where the chain and derailleur are concerned and you only have one of each of those. Of all the mid-ride mechanicals you could have this must rank pretty low on the jeopardy scale.

Surely you’ll be able to find something suitable or are you looking for an excuse for shiny-new.

pondo

I too am on the larger side and the stock Cannondale wheels on my MTB and roadie both seem to shed spokes with an unwelcome frequency. I wrap the bust spoke around another, if I can’t get the thing out entirely. I sort of look at it that one spoke breakage is worth taking to the LBS for a replacement and wheel trueing, if it does it again that wheel’s done for. The front on my mountain bike had its second breakage this weekend just gone, so it’s doooooomed.

EDIT to say it seems to work fine with one breakage, but I had two go on the same day on the rear of my CAAD, and that gave the rim a definite Pringlesque profile. Bin time for that, too.

tomd
    Free Member

Just wrap it around another spoke and carry on. If it’s an odd size a good wheelbuilder with one of the Phil Wood spoke cutting / threading machines can make up any length you need so call around.

Xylene
    Free Member

An excuse for shiny new things is the best way to overcome guilt.

wwaswas

once you have a new wheelset you can get this one repaired then you’re ‘only a frame and a pair of forks’ away from another bike 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Snapped Spoke’ is closed to new replies.