Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Snapped seat post – normal or a fault
  • dafoxster
    Free Member

Had some fun at Swinley today for 3/4 of an hour but then managed to snap my seat post at the clamp. I've had the bike for 13 months and only ride cross country. I'm a little on the hefty side (15 stone) but not overly!So the question is: Is this normal wear and tear or is it a manufacturing failure?

cheers

D

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Does the manufacturer state a weight limit?
    Is it made from carbon or alu or steel?
    I take it you didn't tighten it too much!

And last you're lucky it didn't go up the where no man has gone before…
    (lucky you're ok)

Drac

Also how much did you have did you have exposed?

Reluctant
    Free Member

Hard to say without more facts.Can you post a picture of the failed item and tell us more?

dafoxster
    Free Member

It's aluminium and it's a concept that came with my Focus. I'll get a pic up when I get a chance. The seat post was quite exposed but did snap at the top.

I was lucky! I was just pushing up hill then sat down and felt it shift so I stood up and it slowly fell off! Wouldn't have wanted to sit on that.

rb
    Free Member

I have had the seat bolt on my race face post snap about 3 times so i carry a spare bolt

sam42
    Free Member

as a kid i had a head bolt snap on a post while giving me mate a backie, he fell bollocks-first into the tyre/v-brake, that was a laugh, well from my perspective.
    Was it the head that snapped or the bolt, i'd say over tightening if it was, if it's the actual head of the post then i'd say shite OE post, buy a new un, preferably a thomson.

Fletcher
    Free Member

I ride with Thomson seatpost, on both my bikes…That's what I'd get next if I was you.

dafoxster
    Free Member

Thomson don't seem to do a 31.4 seatpost (annoying diameter!) so 'll probably go with a Ritchey

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Snapped seat post – normal or a fault’ is closed to new replies.