Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Snapped rear mech hanger. Am I being unreasonable?
  • eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Yesterday my hanger snapped whilst climbing a steep hill. It was a clean break through the bolt eye that forced my rear mech into the seat stay and damaging what appears to be the laquer on the carbon. On closer inspection this morning there’s further damage to the carbon part of the dropout with a potential crack. Now I’ve emailed the pics to the company (bike only 11 months old) but they’ve no replaceable hangers in stock and don’t know when they’ll arrive. Am I being unreasonable to think at the very least they should provide the hanger foc?

scotroutes

The hanger is a “sacrificial” part and I’d not expect it to be warrantied. It’s very unlikely that the breakage was due to a manufacturing or construction fault (though that’s not the more usual place for them to break)

andyl
    Free Member

tbh it is more likely something drivetrain related caused the break, especially as you were going up hill. In the mangled mess that remains it is hard to tell where the original point of failure was though.

Speshpaul

there are 3 common ways a mech hanger will break

1, direct damage- stick in chain, hit on rocks
    2, Manufacturing fault
    3, Drive chain fault pulling the mech, chain too short, chain suck, etc

Alloy will normally bend before it breaks so look to see if it has bent. Bent side to side – knocked. for and aft drive chain
    Clean break, – Hummm poss see No2.

However, I’d be kicking off about not having a bike to ride because they aren’t carrying stock of spare parts of a current bike that people are going to go through.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Drive chain has been running smoothly, no gear changes involved during the climb. Guess I’m a little annoyed that the component designed to protect my frame seems to have caused the problem.

Nick

How can they send you one FOC if they don’t have any in stock?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Do I need to explain that?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

However, I’d be kicking off about not having a bike to ride because they aren’t carrying stock of spare parts of a current bike that people are going to go through.

Or, alternatively, buy a spare mech hanger at the time of buying the bike. Then there’s no need to ‘kick off’.

andyl
    Free Member

They would sell a lot more ‘just in case’ hangers if they didn’t rip people off with pricing.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Sure you can get one from somewhere else which frame?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Planet X xls £20

smatkins1
    Free Member

What bike manufacture are we talking about here out of interest?

Fancy uploading a pic so we can see the frame damage?

Not useful advice for you, but perhaps a reminder for other people. If you don’t have a spare mech hanger for your frame… buy one now before you need it!!!!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

They would sell a lot more ‘just in case’ hangers if they didn’t rip people off with pricing.

I don’t think £15ish is excessive , the carbon bike probably cost £2000 .

What exactly is a potential crack ?

Nick

Sorry, I was being facetious.

Maybe this is more helpful?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSPXDROPOUT/planet-x-frame-replacement-rear-mech-hanger

Lots of XLS mech hangers in stock apparently….

See here for more Planet X mech hanger ranting

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/another-planet-x-whinge-with-rear-mech-hanger-advice-needed

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

if they didn’t rip people off with pricing.

They must be pretty reasnobly priced, as most aftermarket (Wheels mfg, North Shore Billet etc) are the same prices or higher.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect one FOC as there’s no way the company can tell the history of the bike, the state of the drive train or how you were riding it at the time.

They’re not exactly expensive, and there’s loads of places that do them, Superstar for example are selling mech hangers for £7.99

rickmeister

Its possible to get simple universal hangers too. They are great to have on board so your mates dont have to walk and will probably buy you a pint for getting them out of a long single speed hike a bike situation….

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Oh yeah those ones have a reputation for break pretty shit design…

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Nick, they’re not the correct ones. It’s the 3 bolt xls cnc machined jobbies.
    Don’t want to post pics until I’ve heard back from Px

andyl
    Free Member

They must be pretty reasnobly priced, as most aftermarket (Wheels mfg, North Shore Billet etc) are the same prices or higher.

So because the competition price their’s similar or higher then the OEM ones are reasonably priced? I don’t buy it. An aluminium hanger costs pennies to make. Some of the fancy ones are machined from better quality material but as above if SS can knock them out for £7.99 then the manufacturers are likely to be in an even better position as they are already getting a load made that are supplied with the frames in the first place and they probably use them on multiple models.

I refuse to believe £15 is a reasonable price for a crappy bit of aluminium, especially when the RRP on this is £25 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-acera-m360-7-8-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod38673

Lots of bits of aluminium, plastic, assembly etc

The only justification I can see for high pricing is that they don’t break very often so sales are rare and thus price is high and when you break one you have no option so they can charge high prices. Also so many different styles makes the situation worse.

poah
    Free Member

I got a spare one with my frame

jonba
    Free Member

Mech hangers are notoriously hard to source and best purchase at the time of the bike, not that this helps you now.

There are many different types, some manufacturers pick one that is off the shelf and used on loads of bikes already. Others pick obscure ones that are harder to find.

I refuse to believe £15 is a reasonable price for a crappy bit of aluminium

You are not just paying for the aluminium. The origianl hanger cost will ahve been factored into the bike. You are paying for them to hold stock or specifically order them in. They are relatively low volume yet will still have all the set up costs associated with much higher volume items. £15 is probably the price at which they deemed it worth selling them or the value they thought they held to the customer.

If you google other people make mech hangers so you may be able to pick one up elsewhere. Pilo?

Northwind

I wouldn’t expect foc after this long- if it’d snapped quickly you could suggest material defect or fitness for purpose but 11 months is really a long time for that.

But not having hangers in stock for all your frames is a bookable offence. Worse if it’s a unique or rare one mind which I don’t think this is?

matt_outandabout

I ride a steel frame. 8)

bigrich

has it taken any hits that could have weakened it before it snapped?

BrickMan

Only time mech hanger is ever considered for FOC/warranty is when it breaks on the first ride, maybe upto about a week. Even then, its at the retailers discretion as they won’t be getting anything for it from the mftr.

If there was a manufacturing fault it would fail first time round.

BETD goldtec used to make extra beefy mech hangers that won’t break until much more force is applied (with a carbon rear ended frame I would NOT want this).

Most common cause of failure is short chain, chain wrap tweaking it and crash damage. Even being dropped on its side (more for road bikes) is enough to start the hanger weakening.

Rorschach
    Free Member

yes

EccentricEllis

I’d just buy one to be honest.
    They only snap for like 4 reasons and 3 of them would be user error.

Check out Gearmechhanger.com bloody brilliant CNC’d next day delivery

bigyinn
    Free Member

The BETD one on my spesh is around 11 years old. Tough as old boots, although I havent ripped a rear mech off any bike since 1994. Either Im lucky or careful, Im not sure, but I’ll go with careful.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Snapped rear mech hanger. Am I being unreasonable?’ is closed to new replies.