Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Snapped rear axles on Whyte hubs?
  • morphio
    Free Member

Has anyone else been snapping axles in their Whyte rear hubs? I’ve done it at least once and sounds likely a second time, on a bike that is not ridden hard.

T130 C RS, (Eagle 12s, Whyte Hubs) bought around October 2016. May 2017 took bike in for a service and it turned out the rear axle on the hub had snapped. Apparently it was Alloy, and paid for a stronger (steel?) replacement from Whyte/distributor.

Probably ridden it <10 times since then due to work/injury/travel etc, and not riding hard/jumping etc.

Had problems with the chain getting wedged between cassette and spokes or between cassette and frame. Had a look at the bike while cleaning and the cassette moves inboard/outboard by 5mm+. Took it to Nirvana Cycles and they said it looks like axle snapped again, will call me back once workshop take a look at it.

Thankfully the rear triangle is alu, lots of nasty scratching/grinding from the chain there, probably would have been terminal on a carbon rear.

While I wait to hear back from Nirvana (not the shop I bought it from, moved house since), has anyone else had a problem with snapping axles? Any possible solutions?

K

Yep, snapped an alloy one, bent the steel one.

Solution for me was to get a reliable brand of hub as I’m not keen to have a poor quality component fail repeatedly.

rascal
    Free Member

Maybe it is just the Whyte hubs.
    I have a 2017 T130rs – quite a few rides done now running Hope Pro 4 rear hub and no probs (yet!).

morphio
    Free Member

Follow up, axle not broken this time.
    Based on a 30sec call something to do with threads not engaging properly, so while it all felt tight it wasn’t. Needed a strip down and rebuild and should be ok. Will find out more when I go in to pick it up. Hopefully that’s the the end of it, otherwise maybe worth thinking about getting some more solid wheels built up.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Same as rascal ..no probs ..with axle although I did do a free hub within 6 months of riding the bike!
    It’s a Whyte axle up front though ..but all good so far..

stevedoc
    Free Member

Whyte will replace with the alloy one free of charge but the later 2017 hubs were fitted with steal axles never the less ran mine for 9 months no problem

phil1966
    Free Member

This happened to my 2016 T130 too.  Hopefully the replacement axle will be steel one.

weeksy

All fine here on my 2015 t130

stevedoc
    Free Member

A few reports on the earlier 2017 whyte branded rears snapping the aluminium rear hub  but that was later rectified on the 2nd run , Whyte  will replace with the steel version if yours breaks   .. lots of buzz on the Riders Facebook  page

stevemtb
    Free Member

Bent one on a G160, multiple hub problems first. Had it serviced, bearings replaced and they lasted two rides. No idea if the hub affected the axle or the axle affected the hub. New hub and new axle now and heard a wee creaking towards the end of the first ride out. Need to get it out this week to see if there is another issue.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Snapped rear axles on Whyte hubs?’ is closed to new replies.