Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Snapped Rear Axle – CrankBrothers Iodine3
  • willber
    Free Member

2012 Iodine 3 wheels – the rear axle has snapped (pic)

I have contacted 2pure to see if they can replace it, but its made from aluminium – im no engineer, but I think its been made on a lathe rather than cnc’d – but that’s a guess.

In the event 2pure cant supply one – how difficult/costly would it be to have one made? Who would be able to make something like this? Would they be able to replicate using the snapped one, i.e. no schematics.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ah, Crank bros stuff – not made by engineers.

If its snapped in the middle that could mean the bearings in the hub do not line up properly. So a new axle could still snap again. You need to find the real reason for the break.

I would get different wheels – Ive never read/heard good reviews when it comes to Crank Bros stuff. I used to have some Eggbeaters – my god they looked nice, but seemed to have been made by art students, not engineers.

Get you money back and buy well engineered stuff.

willber
    Free Member

Way passed the point where I could get my money back. To be honest they’ve been ok, and since they are worth buttons when sold second hand, I’ve really gotta make do with em for now. I was wondering if I could get an axle made from a stronger metal

boxfish
    Free Member

Used to be a 2 year guarantee on CB wheels. The freehub on my Iodines gave way with an almighty CRACK at the top of W2 in Afan. Repaired under warranty without issue but I lost confidence in the product and got rid. They do look nice though…

It’s what made me start building my own wheels, so, thanks Crank Bros! 🙂

willber
    Free Member

Still is a 2 year warranty but they were supplied with my bike which I purchased in the USA.

boxfish
    Free Member

They might honour the guarantee, have you tried contacting CB?

feisty
    Free Member

The Sales of Goods Act covers you for 6 years (5 in Scotland I think) that goods are fit for purpose and is with the Retailer you bought them from, manufacturer and extended warranties are all pointless.

Know your rights!

maxtorque

Dead easy to get a replacement turned up by just about any small engineering shop with a lathe (BTW CNC and Lathe are not exclusive, you can have a CNC lathe, like you have a CNC Mill. The Computer Numerically Controlled bit just means it is sent instructions by a er, computer, rather than a bloke twiddling knobs)

If you had a steel one turned up it would be very very unlikely to ever break again, but you’d have to consider corrosion resistance (plating, SS etc)

That design seems rubbish though, i bet there was no radius/undercut on the “sharp” side?

BearBack
    Free Member

If 2pure can’t help, CB USA almost certainly will.

willber
    Free Member

The way it’s snapped is a bit weird too – its kind of tapered inwards where is broke – almost looks like a pipe cuter has done it.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Yeah that’s a suspect looking break there.

I could make you a replacement in stainless. Can’t see it costing any less than fifty quid though.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Looks like it’s gone at a recess on the bearing diameter at a closer look.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Snapped Rear Axle – CrankBrothers Iodine3’ is closed to new replies.