Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Snapped Raceface Turbine Stem
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Maybe we are getting confused. There is alot of information regarding Canyon shipped models.

So are the effected stems only within that date constraint AND shipped by Canyon? Or all stems before that date constraint.

All a bit iffy!

mtbfix

I got the same reply from Silverfish as happybiker. Stem will be re tightened and back into the fray.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry I wouldn’t take the Distributors line on that if RF says there can be an issue with the batch.

Does the timeframe have anything to do with when RF went into receivership in 2011?

Just seems odd that a Distributor wont do a recall on products from around that period.

If theres a recall on a stem or bars- I wouldn’t use the product until its sorted. Not a chance sorry. Losing your bar or stem is a big thing even riding along a road at 10mph.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Shirley if it was a canyon only fault RF would exclusively supply canyon with replacements? Why would they supply silverfish if that was the case?

[rant] Personally, I think it’s a bit piss poor all round, RF say there isn’t an issue but have manufactured replacement faceplates, silverfish say there isn’t an issue but stock and supply replacement faceplates and crc say there isn’t an issue but are willing to issue refunds for no apparent reason.

But riders have had (pretty serious reading bike radar) accidents/near misses due to the fact that the faceplates have failed.

If something has the potential to fail due to a manufacturing fault, it can and will and to ignore that when it is something as critical as a stem is a bit naive to say the least. [/rant]

For the record I could do without the hassle of calls and emails to get a shiney new faceplate, I’m more concerned with maintaining my dashing youthful looks tbh.

Who did you speak to bluearsedfly? I’d like to call SF.

A bloke in warranty, just selected their department from the options on their phone number/automated answering machine thingy.

hora
    Free Member

I wont touch their products. Customers are your assets not your mugs. That goes to the distributor and RF.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Put the handbag down hora.

jonnyrockymountain

This is my email and reply from race face
    Hi

I have a race face turbine stem, and here that there is a recall on these due to a face plate issue?
    The serial number on the back of the face plate is D80220-10 47?
    Please let me know if this is the case and let me know what to do.

Many thanks
    Jonny

scroll down

Hi Jonny,

Your stem is outside of the recall. If you have any further questions, Silverfish UK will be your best contact.

Enjoy,

Brandon

cruzcampo
    Free Member

IMHO for the minimal price of a stem, and if I couldn’t get a recall as questionable if it was from an affected batch, and it was a worry to me, i’d just buy a new different branded stem. Not worth that niggling back of mind OTB crack stem occurrence waiting to happen.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Same as I was thinking, but if it was part of the faulty batch I’d want a refund or replacement at their cost.

New faceplate landed this morning and tbh, not a massive increase in material but enough to make a difference. Can fit and forget now.

Will stick a pic up later.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Old on the left, new on the right. Quite a bit more material left on the back of the faceplate too around where the serial number is and opposite.

Wall needs staining, grass needs cutting, fence panels need painting, will shift the cat shit later.

jsync

bluearsedfly,

What number did you call at Silverfish? There only seems to be an online form.

Thanks,

jsync

I’ve just called Silverfish. No official recall so contiune as is.

Hmmm…

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

bluearsedfly,

What number did you call at Silverfish? There only seems to be an online form.

Thanks,

Sorry, missed this. Contact details here http://www.bikebiz.com/marketplace/read/255

Sounds odd they aren’t dishing them out.

plyphon
    Free Member

Hmmm, might check to see how thick my faceplate is.

jsync

That’s where I found them. They said that it was only YT and Canyon that were recalling them. If I have an issue I need to send back to the supplier for them to inspect. As it happens it looks fine, but then I suppose they all did before they broke and sent people on to their faces….

I think I may get a different one!

plyphon
    Free Member

Not sure what to do. bought 2nd hand. Clearly is the “thinner” version of the two posted in the photo above.

Kahurangi

plython – kick up a twitter storm and shame silverfish/raceface in to dishing out replacements.

pinetree
    Free Member

@ Jon Taylor- that seems a pretty silly thing to suggest when he hasn’t even contacted them yet. Jumping the gun a bit, don’t you think?
    A polite email would work just as well, shirley.

willv

We have two of these stems both with serial numbers below that stated by raceface. I contacted silverfish and they said take to local dealer for return. When lbs contacted silverfish they have said hold off until they confirm with RF.

Getting confused as to whether there is an issue or not or if I am going to be left with two stems that may have an issue so probably won’t use

Come on RF & silverfish give us an answer please?

warpcow
    Free Member

Well, I’d given up hope of ever hearing back from probikeshop, but they seem to have come through. Got an email from UPS this morning with a return slip and instructions to return… something to probikeshop. No info on what’s actually going to happen though, so I’m only assuming they’re going to return something to me.

plyphon
    Free Member

Yeah I’ll just send a frank email saying hey look, whats going on. Maybe I’ll link them to this thread so someone can post and clear it all up.

honourablegeorge

plyphon – Member
    Yeah I’ll just send a frank email saying hey look, whats going on. Maybe I’ll link them to this thread so someone can post and clear it all up.

Mention that you’d like a written assurance that your stem is unaffected – and that you’ll be in touch should any accident or injury occur.

plyphon
    Free Member

Haha – i sent a nice email via their form basically outlining the summary of this thread and exact clarification re: the cutoff date and the new thick faceplate vs the old thinner faceplate.

I asked for confirmation on whether my stem was part of the recall or not and included that picture. I left out the part about accident liability, however.

Also included a link to this thread.

willv

just called silverfish and they are now saying that they will replace the faceplates. So LBS can send back and then back to normal operations soon

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Absolutely amazed that this debacle has dragged on so long. For such a critical yet cheap-to-replace component how RF and Silverfish could drag their feet is beyond me. Guess the precautionary principle doesn’t apply in mountain biking, and they’re obviously desperate to be hit by lawyers and business-wrecking PR.

There are for, the first time, currently no RF components on my bike. Now there never will be.

warpcow
    Free Member

Tbf, mine has been fine for almost exactly 3 years now, and Canyon and YT were fiting these lightweight-ish stems to AM Enduro bikes, that were perhaps a little too much for them. Mine is getting picked up on Monday and it looks like I’m getting a whole new stem out of the French dist.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Its their premium product, competing with Thomson and Easton Haven and described on the RF website as

this stem is ideal for high level cross country racers but is strong enough for all mountain epics.

It’s not YT or Canyon’s fault RF made a dodgy batch. If it’d been US-based not European brands suffering issues you can bet your mortgage there would have been a rapid and full recall.

If I’d contacted RF/Silverfish, with all the recorded failures out there and YT/Canyon’s own recalls, I’d have expected an immediate offer of a swap for goodwill/peace of mind regardless of any official recall. I used to be a RF fanboi (dating back to the NWD/Richy Schley/Kona/Freeride days) but this is a massive ball-drop.

I’m not angry, just disappointed, as my teachers used to say.

warpcow
    Free Member

Googling “broken race face turbine stem” gives a few anecdotal reports of people having “seen” “loads” of broken faceplates and only a handful of actual testimony which all seem to have recieved replacements from RF. I’m 100% sure I’d find the same for Thomson. Silverfish could have maybe handled it better by coming up with one line instead of some people getting replacements and others being told there’s no problem.

plyphon
    Free Member

Silverfish didn’t reply to my email, I have chased them via Twitter and Facebook at this point.

I will call if I have to. It’s not that I feel entitled to a replacement faceplate, I just want to be assured that even though mine is clearly the “thinner” model perhaps it isn’t effected by the recall… or if it is, I can get it off my bike!

cookeaa

Hang on Sept 2010 – Aug 2013, that’s the best part of three years worth of “manufactured outside of the design tolerances” stems…

What sort of QC process allow this level of out of spec’ product to get produced and sold over and over for three years?
    That is pretty concerning IMO…

plyphon
    Free Member

Soooooo – updates.

I got an email back – Silverfish warranty manager just asking me for my shipping details and that he will send out a new faceplate – result there they could of blindly refused as I am a 2nd hand owner. So big up Silverfish.

However that’s all the email stated. No information on the stems effected (Just Canyon or all stems etc) and no word on an “official line”.

It’s worth noting that I didn’t give them the date code on my stem – just the photo I posted above. So does that draw a conclusion that the “thinner” model is the effected model?

Who knows.

I’ll post a photo of the new plate when it arrives. Cheers SIlverfish.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Got mine yesterday there’s a noticeable difference to the thickness.
    Cheers. silverfish

plyphon
    Free Member

Replacement arrived.

anono

Despite having the same serial number (D80220-10 47) as jonny rocky mountain, who was told that his wasn’t affected, I thought my turbine (which didn’t come on a canyon) looked a bit on the slim side so got in touch with silverfish.
    Two days later a new, thicker face plate arrived, so it looks like they’ve changed their policy.

jonnyrockymountain

Looks like I need to get in touch with silverfish then!!!!

Vortexracing

Just noticed this thread, I have two of them (one each bike) GULP!

and what’s worse they are both numbered 10-47!!

Phone calls to Merlin and Silverfish tomorrow I think 🙄

Vortexracing

emailed Silverfish at 11:30 today and just got back an email from Scotty who is ther warranty manager saying he are posting 2 x new face plates out to me today!!!!

fantastic service 😀

thanks Silverfish. (scotty)

jonnyrockymountain

Ditto here scotty just replied to my email a new face plate in the post, many thanks silverfish, after been told by race face that mine was out of the recall!!!!!

onedpete
    Free Member

Hi guys, thanks to this post, I discovered that I had a ‘dodgy batch’stem faceplate too! Tbh, it’s had a year of pretty hard riding and has never given me any trouble, but after speaking to silverfish I received my new faceplate today. Only thing is, after fitting it, there is a mm or two of gap between it and the stem body, whereas it was a proper flush fit before?! Seems a bit strange as its supposed to be interlocking faceplate on thoses stems, reckon more stress to bolts too. Anyone else found this issue with the replacement faceplates? Gonna query it with silverfish on Monday methinks….

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Snapped Raceface Turbine Stem’ is closed to new replies.