Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Snapped frame + wheel size dilemma?
  • FOG

This morning on a fairly gentle ride my FS frame snapped, possibly as a result of the abuse it got in Scotland last week. It is out of warranty and I am not sure if I would want another one anyway as this is the second frame fail [first replaced while still under warranty].
    So my dilemma is, source another 120-140mm 26″FS frame, probably second hand, or bite on the bullet and go for a cheap 29 -27.5 full bike and transfer the better bits like brakes from my old bike?
    Oh, yes it was a Commencal.

nuke

140mm travel Banshee Spitfire would suit nicely and has dropouts that can be swapped from 26 to 27.5…stick your 26″ bits on for now then ‘upgrade’ to 27.5 at some point in the future

welshfarmer

Edit. DOH, just re-read your post

Jamie
    Free Member

What type of frame was it? Not a Genesis by any chance? If so, can I ask a favour of you?

Re-read the OP.

Edit: You did 😀

bungalistic
    Free Member

I’m most likely going to be selling a Transition Bandit frame if you did fancy something 2nd hand in 26″ flavour

welshfarmer

Lol @ Jamie. You must be quick. I had not posted that more than 3 seconds before noticing the OPs last sentence and editing it!

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, join the Spitfire movement! 🙂 What are your current forks?

FOG

Don’t know much about spitfires or bandits but current forks are 140mm revs spaced down to 120 as the commencal was a Super 4 and found 140 just a little too much

hora
    Free Member

Theres an online list/website somewhere that shows which 26er frames can also be run with 650b with no issues. Anyone know the url?

If going down the Banshee/spitfire etc route- avoid the earlier models with the bushin/bearing? issues.

jairaj

Buy Bungalistic’s Bandit from him!

Out of interest, Bungalistic why are you selling it?

chiefgrooveguru

A v2 Spitfire (2013 onwards with bearings, 140mm at the back) would work with the 140mm forks and the dropouts in their highest/steepest position to keep the BB from being too low – head angle would be about 68 degrees. ‘Future-proofed’ as it’ll run up to 160mm forks and 27.5 wheels too. And you won’t snap it!

Kahurangi

The difference is marginal and there should be heaps of bargain 26″ frames around 2nd hand.

Or a Banshee, they look nice 🙂

bungalistic
    Free Member

@jairaj Been riding the 29er and 26er hardtails and just fancy something different in the full suss department, not sure what yet but need to sell things on to fund. Bandit is a great wee bike though, may get the newer version

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Snapped frame + wheel size dilemma?’ is closed to new replies.