Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Snapped fork steerer – anyone ever seen this happen?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Friend of mines posted this picture of his mate’s bike on last night’s ride:

I’ve never seen a fork steerer snap. And yes, apparently he was just JRA, not even riding off road when it happened.

geoffj

😯

Ham fisted overtightening of stem?

messiah
    Free Member

Snapped a one inch steerer at the crown BITD but never at the top like that… *doffs hat* well done sir!

wwaswas

overtightened stem bolts?

Edric64
    Free Member

How tight was the stem done up and how much steerer was in the stem?

geetee1972
    Free Member

How much steerer was in the stem was my first thought but if you look closely, you can see that the open back of the stem itself is still filled in with the snapped off steerer.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Valves out of line with tyre logos?

Edric64
    Free Member

I can see that now I have had a closer look.

messiah
    Free Member

Star fangled nut damage inside the aluminium steerer?

shermer75
    Free Member

What kind of forks were they?

strike
    Free Member

What forks are they?

messiah
    Free Member

Have the forks been on another bike with a longer headtube and a Chris King headset which has scored the steerer tube right where it has now failed?

dday

😯 That is odd.
    I would have though that overtightened bolts would cause a clean shear, not the shape of the the break shown (but that’s guesswork on my part)

Possible that weather had something to do with it? Maybe some water got in there, froze, and caused extra pressure?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I asked the same question about what kind of forks they are. I don’t recognise them (this despite my geeky encyclopedic knowledge of bike kit!) 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

I asked the same question about what kind of forks they are. I don’t recognise them (this despite my geeky encyclopedic knowledge of bike kit!)

Ahhh Watson, a clue!! The hunt is on!! 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Er… how do you quote? 😉

jam-bo

you need to close the quote with [/quote]

but back on topic. never seen one like that…

shermer75
    Free Member

you need to close the quote with but back on topic. never seen one like that…

Thanks!

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

It will polish out 😯

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve snapped my road bike mid steerer JRA.

The fact I’d ridden it down the beast the day before might have had something to do with it though.

mrplow
    Free Member

It is cracking season! :mrgreen: Don’t ride your bikes!!!!!!! 😯 😆

rocketman
    Free Member

far too many spacers under the stem imo

tmb467
    Free Member

Nice to see someone else on an Enduro Elite

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Did the same a couple of years ago coming off Blencathra:

183593_10150103058218789_4934565_n

Apologies – it’s not too clear an image, but the steerer broke just above the star fangled nut in a very similar fashion to the OPs. Forks were 140 Bombers, about five years old; no other signs of damage from the SFN and the stem bolts weren’t overtightened.

retro83
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I’ve snapped my road bike mid steerer JRA.

The fact I’d ridden it down the beast the day before might have had something to do with it though.

Good effort 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

Did the same a couple of years ago coming off Blencathra:

That picture looks like it was taken at night. Fair play for riding up and down Blencathra on a night ride!

messiah
    Free Member

From the picture that could be an old Manitou Sherman/Travis/Nixon fork?

ononeorange

Was the headset delievered a day late due to snow? That’s probably your problem.

LoCo
    Free Member

Seen several of forks having done that, usually due to scores, earlier damage crash/bad installation or actual material defect.

toys19
    Free Member

lights too powerful..

scruff
    Free Member

Too many spacers. Correct amount = 0.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

That picture looks like it was taken at night. Fair play for riding up and down Blencathra on a night ride!

Night time = no walkers 😉

messiah
    Free Member

If he takes off the spacers he can keep using that fork 😈

Paceman
    Free Member

This happened to my riding buddy a few months ago (Darkcyan on the forum). The steerer on his Fox Talas forks snapped in the same place with a very similar looking tube breakage. Incidentally he was also using a Chris King headset although there was no evidence that it had casued any damage or scoring to the steerer tube. Since the tube was now too short to use with his frame he had to send the forks back to Mojo to have the whole fork uppers replaced; they come as one unit steerer, crown and stantions. I don’t think this was mega-expensive and was far more economical than replacing the forks, especially as they serviced them at the same time. The breakage occured landing a small log jump but certainly nothing that should cause a steerer failure. More importantly he wasn’t injured!

giantx4
    Free Member

Yep i had exactly to same mate!….
    Christ knows how….was your mate using a headlock bolt through thingy instead of star fangled type topcap????…. if stearer was a tad too long the headlock would effectively squash headtube when tightening the capbolt,thus cracking headtube….thats the theory i came up with re mine anyway……i cut damage off stearer & sold fork as was perfect after damaged part removed from steerer,& bought nother pairv forks with longer steerer….what a pisser it was!…. new years eve 2 yr ago i discover it..ARRGGGHHHHH!

ruffride
    Free Member

There’s some left take the stackers off an cut it straight then just put stem on front end will just be lower

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

you were lucky. My alu steerer tube snapped 100mm up from the fork crown within the headtube, I have a false tooth and about 48 stitches because of this, about 25 inside my mouth and the rest on my face. Plus a hatred of a certain fork manufacturer.

michaelbowden

ti_pin_man – Member
    you were lucky. My alu steerer tube snapped 100mm up from the fork crown within the headtube, I have a false tooth and about 48 stitches because of this, about 25 inside my mouth and the rest on my face. Plus a hatred of a certain fork manufacturer.

^^^^^^ OUCH!

labsey
    Free Member

Is there a nail in the tyre?

Seriously though, no idea other than stuff that’s been suggested. Good effort though.

dday

Thanks ti_pin. Now I’m going to get the sh1t’s about my steerer tonight 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Snapped fork steerer – anyone ever seen this happen?’ is closed to new replies.