Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Snapped Crossmax ST Nipples
  • mulv1976
    Free Member

Trying to true up my Mavics today, I managed to snap off two of the spoke nipples on the rear wheel. They are 2011 Crossmax ST.

In hindsight I should’ve just taken them to swinnos on the chase but its too late now…

Has anyone had this themselves and have any idea how much to replace the spokes and nipples and get a rebuild/service? I’ll phone swinnos tomorrow to get a quote (they are closed on Wednesdays) but wondered if anyone had similar experiences?

sssimon
    Free Member

each spoke is about £4, nipple comes fited to the spoke

jimw
    Free Member

The spokes come with the nipples. They are approx. £4 each if you look arround, otherwise you have to buy 12 at a time from Mavic. For the rear there are two lengths DS andNDS.
    They can be a pain to do if siezed, if the rim is damaged then it could cost up to £180 to sort out as Mavic expects you to replace rim and all spokes.
    Hopefully you will get it sorted fir a lot less.

mulv1976
    Free Member

It is rear wheel non drive side. Not sure how to get them out without drilling and possibly buggering up the rim. I’d best let the lbs sort it

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Not that it will help you now but for the future…

I had a bit of a pinging noise from my rear one a few weeks back and was advised by the LBS that the nipples need lubing regularly to stop breakages when truing. mavic actually make their own lube for this purpose.

mulv1976
    Free Member

I’ve managed to get the nipples out without damaging the rim. Now I need to order some new spokes. I’ve found these for sale: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mavic-crossmax-st-disc-spokes-id39836.html#info

BUT these are for 2009 crossmax wheels and I can’t find 2011 spoke lengths anywhere. The crossmax st wheels aren’t listed in the 2011 mavic tech manual.

Does anyone know if these will fit? Or what the 2011 spoke lengths are?

Edit: the 2010 tech manual gives rear NDS as 263mm and DS as 248mm so I’m going to go with that. Pedalon cycles sell them as packs of 3. So six spokes for £25 – better than a new rim I suppose…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Snapped Crossmax ST Nipples’ is closed to new replies.