Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Snap-on tool use / application question
  • sands
    Free Member

If anyone can help me?

(Tape measure only to show size)

I picked-up this impact bit set (PIT3120EB) amongst a group of Snap-on tools I bought.

1/2” drive Allen keys 5/8”,9/16”,1/2”,7/16”,3/8”,5/16”
    1/2” drive Flat Screwdriver bits width 3/4”,1/2”,7/16”
    1/2” drive Philips Screwdriver bits #4, #3

There would have been a 1/2” drive impact driver (PIT160) with the set, but I don’t have that.

Does anybody know of an application or trade (in the UK) that uses large imperial hex fastenings and/or large screwdriver bits?

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, we do.
    We build large industrial refrigeration plant, and buy compressors from the USA, which have all sorts of random fittings/fasteners/bolts on them.
    Any large plant/machinery from the USA will probably be similar.

bigblackshed

As Freeagent says, lots of Emerikan machinery comes with “imperial” headed fasteners. The threads are the bastard sons of imperial / metric / hillbilly.

Although saying that some new kit we have at work which is American made has all metric fasteners, so maybe they have caught up with the 20th century.

mav12
    Free Member

classic vehicle restorers?

sundaywobbler

Anyone who works with UNF or UNC thread sizes could use them.

I’d suggest potentially someone who works with Caterpillar earth moving equipment might find them pretty useful. Or me, I use a lot of UNF threads on the spherical bearings on my race car as the thread means greater levels of adjustment. And I usually secure with cap screws.

Another use could be the truck market, some older truck or trailer axles still use UNF or UNC threads.

sands
    Free Member

Thanks guys
    I had to buy a ‘job lot’ to get the stuff I wanted – and this set has to go.

freeagent – Member
    We build large industrial refrigeration plant, and buy compressors from the USA…

mav12 – Member
    classic vehicle restorers?

sunday wobbler – Member
    I’d suggest potentially someone who works with Caterpillar earth moving equipment…

Good calls – I’ll be googling them tomorrow.

bigblackshed – Member
    The threads are the bastard sons of imperial / metric / hillbilly.

LOL – I remember trying to source a 1/8” NPT tap for a Harley oil-fitting back in the (pre-internet)1980’s

If the evening crowd have any more ideas – please keep them coming.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

CAT do marine engines, perhaps the sort used in trawlers

squirrelking
    Free Member

Nuclear industry ( and general power industry) is awash with AF and Whitworth from 1960s legacy infrastructure. Not sure if our fitters buy their tools or just stumble upon them though…

Marine engines are generally metric, never worked with CAT but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were the same.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Snap-on tool use / application question’ is closed to new replies.