Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Snakes on the chase…
  • bokonon
    Free Member

Anyone else seen these out and about?

I was riding on Cannock Chase up from the cutting to the top of Brocton Coppice and as I went past the pool at the top of the cutting I heard a hiss, looked down and an Adder reared up at me – I reversed as quickly as you can on a bike whilst it slowly crossed the path and then I went about my way.

Ever since I’ve had a nagging feeling in my head as I rush through the bracken that there might be more about, on the less well trodden trail, particularly as the weather cools before they all go off to sleep.

Anyone else come across adders on the chase? Is my fear of being bitten completely bonkers?

iolo
    Free Member

Maybe it was a slow worm.
    They are violent this time of year.

MrsToast
    Free Member

There’s loads of adders over the Chase, pretty harmless unless you startle or provoke them. Seen quite a few, lizards too.

wolfrider
    Free Member

Yeah adders and grass snakes are common on the chase. Adder bites can be nasty but arnt harmfull. Its the wherewolves and the panther and the doggers you have to worry about 😉

MrsToast
    Free Member

And the Pig-man!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/weird-news/cannock-chase-pig-man-truth-5076711

Still find that story quite novel, grew up with stories of Satanic Rituals over Castle Ring and the Chase murders, but never heard of the Pig-man before a couple of weeks ago. Poor Pig-man. 🙁

wolfrider
    Free Member

Lol thats the first time ive heard off the pig man aswell. Might be my mate from heath hayes tho. There isnt any witches thats just hen doos on the go ape.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Adders are the “you call that a knife” of the snake world. Probably give you a nasty cold.

Scamper
    Free Member

Lol at Pig Man. What with the panther, werewolf, UFO’s, Dogging Man and Stickman, there won’t be enough room for many more.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Pig man sounds a lot like a mountain biker in a full face helmet no?

scruff
    Free Member

Loads of ‘pink snakes’ waiting for you in the bushes at Bednall Belt carpark.

tomaso
    Free Member

They are everywhere!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cannock Cavemen? Can they make it up across the M6???

Plenty of neanderthals out there

st

The cavemen li e in the network of underground tunnels that run from Rugeley up to Spode Hall. I think they also set the fires below ground that are just up the road from me http://www.cannockchasedc.gov.uk/info/200029/countryside/596/countryside_service/7

That’ll be why the adders are p**sed off, the cavemen keep hunting them.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Don’t forget the ‘black eyed children’ of Cannock Chase.

http://paranormalcannock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/return-of-black-eyed-children.html

Apparently, Birches Valley is ‘well-known’ or its ‘spectral sightings’. I thought it was well known for its visitor centre and slightly underwhelming cafe….

chilled76
    Free Member

About 5 years ago someone was bitten by an adder on Stile Cop, thay had an allergic reaction to the venom and ended up being air ambulanced off the hill.

Pretty unusual turn of events.

jekkyl

loving that story about the pigman.

In an email to the author she said: “Kneeling down in the dirt was what looked like a man, wearing trousers from sports direct and a white wife beater, but no shirt. His face was totally deformed and I can almost certainly say he had a snout and several awful tattoos. He was riding an argos special which cost no more than eighty pounds and he wasn’t wearing a helmet”

rocketman
    Free Member

Anyone else come across adders on the chase?

Generally see 2-3 per year but never this late in the year. Incredible camouflage

scruff
    Free Member

Have you ever seen the Beast With Two Backs? A truly mesmerizing sight to behold. It will hold your gaze as your stand there, transfixed on this shifting beast. It often breaks into parked cars but can be spotted leaning up trees and sometimes writhing in the middle of a great bit of singletrack you’re riding down.

rocketman
    Free Member

Think we’ve all seen that one scruff 🙂

zero-cool
    Free Member

You have to have a bad allergic reaction or be a rather ‘delicate’ person to actually be in any danger from an Adder bite. We used to go out catching them when I was a kid (mini Steve Irwin style) and I can’t count the amount of times my brothers and I have been bitten over the years.
    Thinking about it now I think it was probably a bit mean to the snakes so its not a skill I’ll be passing on to my kids.

Tom KP

bokonon
    Free Member

Well, that’s fine. I shall stop worrying about it. Not that it stopped me riding, or anything.

It’s good to know that I’m not alone on the chase – pig-man sounds like a right hoot, and the children with black eyes, I could dress my kids up like that for a laugh and get them to scare the crap out of people.

cr500dom
    Free Member

3 of us ran over one sunbathing in thetford forest….. it was pretty hacked off at the 4th in line !!
    Lovely thing to see, just a shame we didn’t spot it in time to stop

extremo
    Free Member

seen a wild boar up there, but no live snakes (seen a dead one once)

buck53

[SamJackson] I’m sick of these mothereffin snakes on this mothereffin Chase! [/SamJackson]

snakebite
    Free Member

this happened on the chase a few weeks back, bikes and silly amounts of beer and god knows where that ended up. the two manfriends cannot be named.

loads of things happen on the chase……

warton
    Free Member

Adder bites can be nasty but arnt harmful

you must tell that to my schoolfriend, who had his appendix and spleen out after an adder bite*

*He did ‘suck the poison’ out of the hole in his thumb, and then swallow it, to be fair…

tazzymtb

I wonder how many “ufo” strange lights in the trees that are reported are silly sods night riding? Once had a chap in a 3 piece suit appear in the middle of the chase on night ride in the rain asking if we knew thw way to the nearest civilisation. ..we pondered for a bit a couldn’t give him an answer, there’s no where civilised in the Midlands! !

jekkyl

Did you see that pic someone uploaded to the chasetrails fb page where he found a half eaten marrow and some used jonnies on the chase, filthy gits! I see a marrow in the picture above!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

There are boar in the chase!?

We came across an adder chilling in the middle of the trail at the top of the climb on FtD a couple of years ago. It was getting dark so was probably trying to get to some cover but 6 idiots on MTBs were stood around it so it wasn’t going anywhere fast.

molgrips
    Free Member

Probably give you a nasty cold

Yeah, pretty nasty:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-10711818

These things seem to be variable. There was a story a while back (that I was searching for when I found that one) about a bloke who found a snake and got all Steve Irwin with it – it bit him and they were preparing to lop off his arm when at the last check he started to show signs of recovery.

So I’d not post stuff like that on a forum if I were you. They CAN be dangerous and not just to kids, and you don’t know if it’ll be you or not.

ThePinkster

Ended up bunny hopping an adder on the chase a few years ago, down by the quarry.

rocketman
    Free Member

There are boar in the chase!?

Have seen a few boar-like creatures snuffling around in the undergrowth near to Stile Cop and further on along Miflins Valley. Some say they are Muntjacs but these were more like pigs

prawny

extremo – Member
    seen a wild boar up there

That was probably a munjac, there are no wild boar on the chase. Muntjacs however look and move very similarly. 3 different types of deer on the chase y’know, each one more delicious than the last. Omnomnom

Edit, crossed posts with rocketman – I still don’t think there’s any Boar on the chase.

I_Ache
    Free Member

We were on a night ride and saw some eyes glowing back at us at head height, automatically we stopped wondering WTF. we slowly turned our bars towards it and it was a bloody great stag. Very impressive.

molgrips
    Free Member

AFAIK wild boar are all over the country now. A quick google tends to disagree with prawny.

bokonon
    Free Member

I’ve certainly heard pig like snorting in the undergrowth, but that could be any number of the “wild life” one finds on the chase.

extremo
    Free Member

Dont think deer have tusks and are that short and round

scruff
    Free Member

Muntjacs are right fat little short arses. If any boar where up there they wouldnt last long, poachers night sights would be on them straight away.

prawny

Muntjac

Boar

Woudn’t be hard to confuse the two running around the forest.

I could be wrong, but I still don’t think there are Boar on the chase, but I did some googling anyway and it turns out that not only are there boar on the chase, the moon landings were faked and the CIA planted the Oklahoma bomb, who knew!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Snakes on the chase…’ is closed to new replies.