Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • snake scare
  • steviecapt
    Free Member

i was riding up the taff trail in cardiff this morning, when i came round a corner looked at the track ahead and i nearly ran over a snake, it was about 3 foot long and quite thin, the colour was light brown and green, anyone know what kind of snake it was, im thinking probably a small adder, anyway it woke me up, stopped to take a pic on my camera phone, but it soon slithered off into the undergrowth, must of been the warm weather, suning itself on the path,also just as i carried on there was a group of school kids doing a nature walk, just aswell they didnt get there before me, they would of found something they werent expecting, nice to see though

jezandu
    Free Member

The green would suggest a grass snake perhaps? Adders tend to be brown and some have a diamond pattern. I ran over one before but was to scared to stop and find out if it was ok!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

3 foot long? A small adder?
    ‘twould be a bleeding massive adder! They’re usually quite short , 18″-2′ , and quite stocky. Grass snakes are long and thin. The biggest I’ve ever seen was a dead one just over 8’ long!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steve_b77
    Free Member

I came across an adder today, that was 3ft easily

jam-bo

I’d imagine it was more scared than you.

eskay

Not unusual to see adders on dusty trials soaking up the sun.

arcing
    Free Member

Grass snake, I saw my first on Holmbury this weekend, sounds like it was a similar size.

scratch
    Free Member

Where abouts on the TT?

lotus777
    Free Member

Came across an adder yesterday in swinley forest. unfortunately it was round a blind bend so didnt see it in time and think i rode over it. I stopped and turned round to see it wriggle off so think it was ok.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I thought this would be a proper snake scare….

Had 3 close tiger snake moments since moving out (1 year) and Brown Snake one last time i was out here…

1 tiger was about 5′ long…

longmover
    Free Member

I jumped over a Dugite last year, scared the hell out of me so much that i crashed into a bush on landing.

He was a big one as well, about 2m long.

2hottie
    Free Member

MWS,

I was thinking it was a “proper snake scare” too.

4 feet away from a baby eastern Brown snake! It was lots of nervous giggling after that! brown pants moment as the small ones are worse! No venom control so you get everything it has!!

Riding in Aus, you never know what’s around the next corner..

loughor
    Free Member

Same here in Hong Kong. Had some very close encounters with King Cobras. Short (8 sec) video (not mine, but I know the boys) here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsepg_bNQko

mikewsmith
    Free Member

4 feet away from a baby eastern Brown snake!

My brown was in Eagle park, thought it was a stick…. I stopped hard as it stood up and made it’s point…

Wasn’t really riding that well after that

Previous time we were over we thought that Tassie had black snakes, turns out the tigers are just black over here. Saw loads up in the hills and got far too close to some thinking they were the easy going ones…

I seem to have seen more in 12 months than some of the locals have ever 🙁

stewartc
    Free Member

Snakes dropping into your path at CMW are very common, happened to me a couple of time and I have never yet been cool enough to just bunny hop over them.

loughor
    Free Member

Stew, couldn’t agree more. Worse still are those spiders the size of 29″ wheels which are also due to reappear soon.

stewartc
    Free Member

The ones that alway like to spin their webs out across the trail?
    I would rather take my chances with the buffalo at night.

globalti
    Free Member

I was kloofing (canyoning) in the Magaliesburg in SA and the bloke in front of me grabbed a sapling for balance and shook it a bit, and out dropped a black mamba! It looked a bit surprised and swam off. Phew!

zokes
    Free Member

Not riding, but walking in Victoria, very nearly fell victim to the tenet of:

First one wakes it
    Second one pisses it off
    Third one gets bitten

Boy was it a very pissed off tiger snake, and I was a good two hours from the car, that in itself being a good two+ hours over very rough 4wd country to get to anything approaching civilization.

piha
    Free Member

Another Cobra moment……

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLpQSKpwG8Y&list=UUrJK-uF14ZAJq88g1DHfgOQ&index=4[/video]

Cobra appears at about 19 seconds. Happened when we followed a young cow down a trail in Kerala, the cow turned off the trail and as we continued down, the Cobra appeared out of the wall.

busydog
    Free Member

Our diamondback and western rattlesnakes aren’t too active yet as we have had a couple of cold fronts through—was 35 F this morning. Expect I will start seeing them pretty regularly soon.

Ambrose

Soloing a climb in sunny Pembrokeshire I once pulled on a gorse stem- and it was all squidgy and slithered off just like you’d expect an adder would do.

phinbob

Our rattlesnakes here in the East Bay seem to have gone mental this year, I’ve seen quite a few out on the main fireroad size paths. All whilst running so far since I mainly bike in the early mornings.

stuey
    Free Member

On top of my Granny’s compost heap…
    -A slow-worm once flicked its tongue at me.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Suddenly loving riding in the damp north of the UK

khani
    Free Member

😯 there’s a lot to be said for our green and pleasant land…

Deveron53
    Free Member

Me and Mrs Dev rode the Rosedale railway track once, on the black flat bits near the start she ran over what she thought was a stick. I was behind by about 20 feet so I shouted to my oblivious partner to come back and see an adder ‘limping’ off into the heather.

piha
    Free Member

Forgot to add my 2 UK snake experiences from last year….

Doing the SDW we rode past a splendidly coloured adder as it sunned (in the 30 seconds of sun we had that day) itself on the trail and riding at Swinley I saw a large adder swimming across a big pond, twas good to see.

steviecapt
    Free Member

i once saw a guy flyfishing at my local lake watched as he brought in as he thought an eel as he got it closer i could see it was in fact an adder, funny to see that fisherman soon change from trying to catch a fish to trying to loose it lol, ps my story bove fails into comparison to some of the stories from abroad, mind you glad we dont have those types of snakes in this country, as with all the bikng n fishing ive done in outer the way places i would of surely been bitten by now

crazy-legs

Desending a road in Spain a couple of years ago, doing about 40mph (road bike) and up ahead I saw what I thought was a slight crack in the tarmac. Adjusted course slightly to take me to the right of the crack when suddenly the crack woke up and shot across the road towards where I was heading.

It wasn’t a crack, it was a 3ft long silvery-grey snake and it moved like greased lightning. 😯

I adjusted course back to the left and missed it. Highest heart rate I’ve ever had on a descent from that point!

epicyclo

Lived in Oz for 30 years. Snakes generally get out of your way if you let them, and I still slow down for branches on the track over here. 🙂

But if you think a brown is bad, wait until you annoy a taipan.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

As long as its not as bad as this, you will be fine 😉

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘snake scare’ is closed to new replies.