Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SMSs. What's with the delays
  • leffeboy

As above oh wise stw. It used to be that SMSs would arrive pretty immediately but of late it seems to sometimes take an you or two. Just me or has something changed?

CountZero

There’s always been a bit of a delay, but with so much network traffic these days, I guess the data packets get all snarled up. I’ve sent a friend a text at around nine o’clock, and she’s been woken by her phone chirping loudly at 2am! 😳

leffeboy

That’s exactly what I’m talking about so glad it’s not me. It’s weird as the data packets must be tiny compared to voice traffic

davidjones15
    Free Member

Is it not something to do with the message’s journey? As there are two parts to the journey, from your phone to phone company then from the phone company to the other handset, it is possible for a delay to occur. I this also accounts for why you are charged even when the message isn’t received.
    I could be wrong, but it’s not often.

jambalaya
    Free Member

SMS have always been fitted into the bandwidth where space has been avilable between the calls. A phone call has to be immediate but an SMS can be pushed down the priority list. It’s possible with increased Internet usage SMS are further relegated.

somafunk

Nah, All sms now pass through the governments SIGINT deciphering system at Menwith Hill (otherwise known as ECHELON to the conspiracy theorists as a catch-all term), there is such an amount of data flying about these days that the system is often overloaded and backlogs are bound to happen, delays in receiving messages are just one such noticeable problem.

😉

matthewjb
    Free Member

delays in receiving messages are just one such noticeable problem.

Leffeboy is probably using a lot of the key words that get red flagged. Any minute now there will be a knock at the door.

Don’t answer it Leffeboy!!!

somafunk

I take it by leffeboy’s silence that he answered the knock at the front door?…..damm fool, he should’ve shaved off his hair, stripped naked and jumped out the bathroom window wearing just a towel/shower cap and legged it till he could hide underground for a few days….that mysterious mole on the back of his neck?….yep – it’s not a mole really, it’s his tracking chip that’s solar powered, if only he’d have listened to our advice he’d be saved….Ping!……..Ping!……….Ping!……….Ping!……….Ping!………..they’ll always find you.

stay safe folks……

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My wife and I are both on the same netwrok (Orange/EE). Both have poor reception at home but her fancy smartphone has “homeboost”which uses the wifi to increase her signal strenght.

However, I never get delays on my texts, but she often does, up to 24 hours.
    Phone memory issues?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SMSs. What's with the delays’ is closed to new replies.