Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Smorgasbord, chunky monkey combo
  • christof
    Free Member

Hi, I’m currently running smorgasbord on the front and rear. I’ve heard people talking about running chunky monkey front and smorgasbord rear.
    Does anyone have any first hand experience?
    Cheers, Chris

IA

It’s basically the same, but slightly bigger front tyre… The logic is to have a bit more grip on the front.

cardiac
    Free Member

Yes. I run this set up mainly due to the price…it’s cheap. I don’t really care about weight and rolling resistance. I have had no issues. I have plenty confidence in the corners. I went for the more expensive option in thinking that if they don’t last long, then i’ll just buy another tyre.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

I would choose the CM over plenty of other more expensive tyres, hits just the right balance of durability, size, grip, rolling ability etc. for me.

mattrgee
    Free Member

I think you need a rim size > 19mm for a Chunky Monkey. Consequently, I’m running smorgasbords front and rear and can’t fault them. The sizing is absolutely accurate as well unlike other tyres.

vondally
    Free Member

anyone running a 29er CM

Tom-B
    Free Member

I use the cm/smorgasbord combo on my 29er….only use it for more gravity based stuff as they weigh a tonne! Can’t day that I rate the smorgasbord tbh

mactheknife

My Chunky Monkey weights 20g heavier than the HansDamph it replaced in 26″ sizing. So not really a heavyweight at that size.

dantsw13

Hard compound Smorg on rear, soft CM on the front is the combo on my `AM Heckler. Perfect in the Alps, and really good grip levels.

ontor
    Free Member

29er CM front and rear on my karate monkey. love it.

kimbers

I’ve run a CM on a 17 mm rim no probs
    but sticking it on my 21mm rims has left me with f all clearance on my marzocchis and a nightmare in sticky mud

T666DOM

I run the CM front Smorg rear on my clockwork 29er and they’re spot on. Touch wood no punctures yet and real grippy especially as I find I can run them with low pressures. I’ve found rolling resistance and weight no problem but I’ve not run anything else. Prefer them to any other tyre combo I’ve used in the pst with 26ers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Smorgasbord, chunky monkey combo’ is closed to new replies.