Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Smoothie mixer needs a smoothie crown race?
  • doordonot
    Free Member

Hi folks,

I’ve currently got a Scandal with forks that have a straight steerer. The headset is an on-one smoothie mixer. Do I need to buy a smoothie-mixer specific 1.5in crown race to convert it for a tapered steerer – or will any brand crown race do?

Thanks

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Yep, it’s only the diameter that matters.

doordonot
    Free Member

Thanks.

simondbarnes

Yep, it’s only the diameter that matters.

Surely the angle of the crown race needs to match the angle of the bearing?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Disregard above, you do need a smoothie mixer 1.5 in crown race, the problem is in true O-O fashion, if you order the one on the website, they’ll send you the wrong one. I’ve just done the same thing and it needed input from the senior bike builder to get the right one. Apparently they’re in short supply.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I did the same with my c456 going from straight to tapered fork. This is the one I ordered, and worked fine.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSOOSMCROW/on-one-smoothie-mixer-stainless-steel-crown-race-for-15-inch-steerer

Specifically that product code (HSOOSMCROW)

If they’re sending out the wrong stock, then that’s another matter, but that should be the right one assuming the Scandal lower cup / bearing is the same as the c456.

Always a possibility there’s another brand that will work also, but you’d need to check angles and diameters.

andyl
    Free Member

Key measurements are the angle where it sits in the bearing AND the outer diameter and any sealing. Some headsets have a rubber lips seal on the crown race, some have a labyrinth type arrangement so you can end up with binding or poor sealing if you don’t use the correct one.

Some crown races are very basic though like my superstar one which needed packing out with grease to keep water out of the bottom bearing.

doordonot
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the clarification. I’ve ordered the one suggested by deadkenny. Will see if it works with the new forks just ordered…

argoose
    Free Member

I just changed the bottom bearing assembly to hope pick and mix.
    Future proofed, lot easier to get spares.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Smoothie mixer needs a smoothie crown race?’ is closed to new replies.