Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 158 total)
  • smoking outside pubs
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

what makes me chuckle on here is all the intolerant people on here who happily bitch and moan about all the fat/thin/unfit/foreign/not foreign/smokers/ramblers/horse riders/roadies (cross out or combine as you see fit) or just plain different to you.

The really funny bit is how many of would not be quite so brave and bold when you're not sat behind a computer screen or would you have the balls to tell the guy sitting at the next table to "Put your fag out you fat ****".

I think not somehow

uplink
    Free Member

Ah the GIFT

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Can you imagine the sight of a posh twenty somethings with certain ideas about life telling a horney handed son of toil what to do?

We could arrange a STW whinger meet somewhere in NE London and I could take some pics and maybe have a feature in "the mag", resulting in an unpleasantly patterned buff for my parent's dog.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

horney handed son of toil

love it .can i use it as my own ?

aracer
    Free Member

The saddest thing that I'd ever seen
    Were smokers outside the hospital doors

Speshally the ones who've wheeled their drip out with them.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

It's not mine to sell. It's what is called a "cliche", but a favourite cliche of mine.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Dr D

Genius…….I'd buy that issue instead of stealing a copy from Borders 😉

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Genius…….I'd buy that issue instead of stealing a copy from Borders

Well I gave the **** a chance, but oh no! apparently I didn't win the **** Ti frame. **** it, I didn't want it anyway. ****.

Anyway, if Singletrack want me to sort their shitty mag out I will, but only if i'm given free reign as editor for an issue , and Ernie Lynch shares a hot tub with me.

antigee

Dr Dolittle – Member
    How did all the whiney diddums cope before the smoking ban? I'm guessing they are not the social type, so avoided pubs anyway

never considered drinking p!ss in a smokey room with misfits a social activity so rarely been inside a pub for years – now i do like to sit outside and have a beer and a meal with the kids when out for a ride or a walk – don't really see why should have to put up with smokers – simple rule if food is being served the smoking area should be elsewhere

backhander
    Free Member

That's easy then, don't serve food outside.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

… or don't order food and sit in the smoking area?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One wonders how many of the whiners have a beer when at the pub….then drive home.

antigee

or smokers develop some will power … easy?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

isn't it also whining when smokers complain about being hard done by ? If I had to smoke I'd make damn sure no one saw me as smokers look so dimwitted. Pay money to poison yourself ?? Duuuuh!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

smokers look so dimwitted.

So, Messrs Guevara and Churchill were dimwitted, were they? Perhaps Isambard Kingdom Brunel was also a bit of a dunce, as well.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Perhaps Isambard Kingdom Brunel was also a bit of a dunce, as well.

well
    a) they were less well informed in those days
    b) have you seen his hat ?? He was clearly barking!

but you're right CFH, I am clearly prejudiced against smokers. One of my cleverest friends smokes chronically, so one must conclude that intelligence is no barrier to stupidity

backhander
    Free Member

I don't disagree SFB not being a smoker myself (anymore).

LoulaBella
    Free Member

Portsmouth elite were hanging around outside 'The Raven' yesterday, a lovley pub that looks like a prefeb with ads for meat raffles hanging up outside. I was leading a guided ride yesterday and as we cycled past verbal abuse was hurled at us whilst they puffed away on cigs, my fav was' oi you bunch of d*** heads'.
    Why is cycling around on a sunny Sunday afternoon so loathsome to them?
    Its a bit rubbish especially when I have families in my group or visitors to the city on holiday.
    I also received lots of abuse form a group of lads in the park because I was wearing my cycle helmet, argggh makes me so mad, almost feel like going outside and lighting up…..

antigee

must remember to listen more carefully to the conversations outside pubs instead of listening to myself whining i'd be able to pick up some handy hints on how to save Europe or start a revolution or maybe really understand why we didn't adopt a wider gauge track

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One of my cleverest friends smokes chronically, so one must conclude that intelligence is no barrier to stupidity

Or to freedom of choice.

binners

Would any whining, santimonious, health-nazi non-smokers who object to me smoking outside the pub kindly just come up and tell me sto stop, as it offends their delicate ickle sensibilities. Preferably when I've a great big comedy frying pan in my hand.

Your moaning, whinging soft pink little lungs can enjoy a smoke free environment in any indoor space in the country. I'm forced to stand outside in the rain. Whose getting the best deal

Now just **** off!!!! Please

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Or to freedom of choice.

right on comrade!

uplink
    Free Member

Would any whining, santimonious, health-nazi non-smokers who object to me smoking outside the pub kindly just come up and tell me sto stop,

I believe the preferred option is to cough loudly in an exaggerated manner whilst simultaneous waving an arm or two

DrDolittle
    Free Member

now i do like to sit outside and have a beer and a meal with the kids

Kids in pubs? Can't stand it.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

All of my immediate family have smoked from the age of 13yrs old including my two brothers. I was the little kid who locked himself in his room as a way of escaping the fumes. Convinced this hasnt helped my lungs in future life.

Anyhow from a personal point of view i have (Maybe blinkered) the opinion that there isnt such a thing as a considerate smoker. They can make all the noises they like but at the end of the day if they were considerate they would NEVER do it in the company of anyone other than another smoker. From this perspective i include all of my family, and they know it. I wont allow them to look after my children unless they confirm that they wont smoke in their presence and i will happily send my mother out into the pissing down rain rather than smoke in my house. Why is this? Because its thir choice and not mine. I will never tell them to stop smoking but on the other hand i will not accept smoking in my presence.

More on topic, i must admit that i have been to more pubs in the last 8wks than i have in the past few years. The reason is that i have started playing football again now my son is a bit older (6). He now comes to my matches, makes loads of new friends and then comes to the pub after to either have a cople of drinks or even stay to watch the football. It helps that he is football mad and i also coach his football team on saturdays/thursdays. Its great father and son time and i dont have to worry about smokers. From what i have seen locally there are quite a few fathers & sons doing similar on a sunday and soft drinks from what i have been told earn the pub more profit. Tie that in with buying some food as well and it may be that pubs are just evolving.

BigDummy
    Free Member

pubs are just evolving

Into somewhere that people who like pubs don't want to go.

Lots of children, and everyone drinking delicious fizzy pop and munching burgers in a nice clean smokeless environment. Can't you just go to McDonalds? 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Into somewhere that people who like pubs don't want to go.

you mean "people who like smoking" 🙂 I think people are confused by the drug taking into forgetting that what we actually like is the public part – other people

whippersnapper
    Free Member

people yes, children no

binners

Simon – you clearly haven't got it have you. Pubs, particularly 'locals' aren't there to reflect our rich and diverse cultural heritage by welcoming all-comers with open arms. You fool!

They're for bitter and resentful cliques to waste their evenings venting their drunken fury by railing incoherently against anything and everything. Mainly as they stare malignantly at anyone remotely different who dares to set foot over the threshold.

Very much like this place actually 😉

Olly
    Free Member

Hockney also took a swipe at the Government's nanny state attitude. He said that if ministers had told the late TV chef Keith Floyd to give up rich food, alcohol and cigarettes in order to live longer "he would have said to them that's not what I call living."

but alcohol and rich food dont waft through the air and into other peoples breathing space you top wizards sleeve

freedom of choice yes, puff away morons 😉 but dont inflict it on me.

uplink
    Free Member

but alcohol and rich food dont waft through the air and into other peoples breathing space you top wizards sleeve

the smell of food doesn't carry?

Olly
    Free Member

the smell of food doesnt clog up your arteries and make you a fat biffer

uplink
    Free Member

Are BBQs OK?

Olly
    Free Member

bbqs dont produce smoke on the scale fags do? (they shouldnt produce any smoke at all actually)
    and its charcoal, not tobbaco burning.

i havent heard of anyone getting cancer off a bbq, but i may be wrong?

binners

Most of the pubs I go in, its the CS gas you have to worry about

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

He said that if ministers had told the late TV chef Keith Floyd to give up rich food, alcohol and cigarettes in order to live longer "he would have said to them that's not what I call living."

I wouldn't want to be Keith Floyd either 🙁

noteeth
    Free Member

The saddest thing that I'd ever seen
    Were smokers outside the hospital doors

Even sadder than that… when I used to work at the BRI, the white line which designated the limits of the hospital no-smoking zone pretty much put the smokers in the road. I would arrive for my shift and be greeted by a line of (often unwell) patients, sometimes with dripstands and chest drains ("when can I have a fag?" is a standard post-op question in recovery), all inhaling the rush-hour traffic. 😕

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

So, Messrs Guevara and Churchill were dimwitted, were they?

To be fair, if Che was still physically alive today (coz everyone knows Che lives) he would undoubtedly have given up smoking by now. Despite his belief that smoking strong Cuban cigars suppressed his asthma.

As a doctor, he could not have ignored the medical evidence which clearly shows that the long term damage from smoking, greatly outweighs the short term benefits of the suppressive qualities of nicotine. Plus of course, effective anti-asthma drugs are now easily available …… specially in countries which recognise that medical care is a fundamental human right 😉

And btw, Cuba introduced smoking restrictions long before Britain did, despite the fact that the tobacco industry is such a vital part of the Cuban economy. Clearly people's health comes first.

Certainly Commandant Fidel gave up smoking his Cuban cigars many years ago for health reasons, as he did alcohol. And incidentally, Che didn't drink. Hence one of the reasons for the legal action when his image was used to advertise Smirnoff vodka. It is the responsibility of all revolutionaries to ensure that they are of sound body and mind 8)

rOcKeTdOg

To all the addicts getting worked up just face it, it's a dirty filthy habit, u stink and it's killing u, how can u get defensive about that?, those are the facts.

But none of this is as bad as those riders who light up at the top of every climb for their fix, I go into the countryside for the clean air not. to breath smoke and listen to u cough up a lung on ur fast track to a coffin

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    To all the addicts getting worked up just face it, it's a dirty filthy habit, u stink and it's killing u, how can u get defensive about that?, those are the facts.

I don't smoke. I can, however, get defensive about people having the right to choose what they want to do.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘smoking outside pubs’ is closed to new replies.