• This topic has 333 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Del.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 334 total)
  • Smoking is a pretty disgusting habit, but…
  • slowoldman

sounds like a good proposal to me.
    don’t mind there being a dirty smoking corner for those that really must partake.

Preferably behind stout air tight doors.

Beer gardens are outdoors, the air is SUPPOSED to be fresh.

johndoh
    Free Member

Having livid with it for 16yrs as a kid I know how ignorant a smoker is to the effect it has on others.

This. I had to endure long car journeys in a fume-filled car, evenings sat in a smoke-filled room. I pleaded with my parents to give up because I hated the smell, it gave me headaches and I was worried it would kill them. My dad eventually gave up (apart from a very occasional cigar) but my mum never did. And it killed her 🙁

jimjam
    Free Member

**** ’em. It’s disgusting. Like shitting in public, everyone finds it disgusting except the guy doing it. Although saying that, at least the smell of feces isn’t carcinogenic, and it doesn’t carry as far.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

trail rat hit the nail on the head and I alluded to it earlier. Its not the ban, its the fact the brits have no manners in this respect whatsoever. My own family & Friends had zero respect for all the other people in Italy when they turned the streets and bars of Lake Garda into a smokey cesspit. Others smoked, but for some reason it was the ‘gathering’ that caused it to be so obvious. You couldn’t eat, drink or just chat without feeling sick.

Brits just aren’t capable of respecting someone elses right to not breathe in their second hand smoke.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

binners + 1, but mostly because this whole message feeds the current British puritanical, snobby hater mentality.

I dunno. I’d gladly see smoking cut out in some of the urban beer “gardens” (often fairly enclosed patios or decks) around me. I’m not a snobby hater. I’m far from puritanical. Has it crossed your mind that there might be more like me?

cheese@4p

Air is air, it’s not really supposed to be anything.

DaRC_L

Beer gardens are outdoors, the air is SUPPOSED to be fresh.

Do you own & drive a car? Ever look out over the countryside at the horizon on a sunny day… you know that yellowy brown tinge… guess what?

Drac

Ever look out over the countryside at the horizon on a sunny day… you know that yellowy brown tinge… guess what?

A beer garden is over the horizon?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

johndoh I can relate to that. My bedroom was my only escape. Car journies in a 2 door car where they would open their window a little to ease the smoke. What it really did was blow the smoke into the back straight into my face.

Going to school smelling like 20 Benson & Hedges even though you had showered and covered everything in a tin of linx.

If parents will do that to their own kids that they are supposed to love, how can you not see that the only way to stop it is to illeglaise it.

GrahamS

What I do find interesting is that passive smoking is recognised as a health issue that needs to be tackled with tight controls (rightly IMO).

But more general air quality and pollution issues are carefully ignored.

I don’t imagine passive exhaust fumes are much better for you than passive tobacco smoke, but suggestions on restricting cars don’t seem to go down so well.

dbcooper
    Free Member

I would like to see it banned in all shared or public spaces including streets. Its air pollution.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

you know that yellowy brown tinge

Is it straw coloured…maybe it’s a…

Marko

I’d gladly see smoking cut out in some of the urban beer “gardens” (often fairly enclosed patios or decks) around me.

Mmm . . .Are you not in Bristol? Skunk city and you don’t need to be anywhere near a Pub.

No point in a Bristol beer garden smoking ban

😆

Pyro

Crisps are bad for you as well. Ban them while you are at it.

No one ever died from passive crisp eating and they don’t stink the place out when your trying to enjoy a meal or pint.[/quote]

I agree, but to your “they don’t stink the place out” I cheerfully submit:

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

You are wrong Graham. I went to the Mercedes factory recently for their big dirty vans.

I asked why there was no air treatment in the facility especially at the end of the line where they fired the vehicles up which I would expect is the point it would be needed.

Ahh my friend, he replied. That is because the air coming out is cleaner than the air going in.

That was at Euro5 levels and 70% of the range is now already Euro 6 compliant. The levels are now so low that we are talking 0.01% improvements in standards because their aint much more they can do.

Vehicle immissions in this country is strictly adhered to and it is impossible to register new vehicles that don’t comply. To the point where older stock vehicles that don’t qualify are destroyed by manufacturers. It may not be healthy for you to suck on a exhaust pipe, however It is wrong to suggest that it is not being controlled in much the same way as smoking.

Drac

I agree, but to your “they don’t stink the place out” I cheerfully submit:

They’re not crisps.

binners

I’d just like to apologise. How wrong was I about the whiney, pompous, i-know-what’s-good-for-you, sanctimonious, self-righteous, holier than thou bleating, eh?

Heres my prediction: If this happens, then within twelve months there will be no pubs left.

In my experience smokers tend to like a few, as we’re generally a dedicated bunch, fully committed to shortening our lifespans by all means possible.

The kind of person who enjoys loftily, and humourlessly pontificating on why everything they don’t personally like should be immediately banned, will doutless be the same ones who turn up at their local twice a year (once prior to christmas, and once on Colins birthday on a June afternoon, if the suns out) where they will spend an hour nursing a pint of Scruttocks Old Gobshite, commenting on its hoppy overtones, before disappearing for another 6 months. Then driving past one day and complaining that its a real shame that all the pubs are now Tesco Metro’s, and they’ll have to drive to the nearest pub now, when its Colins birthday next year

Drac

Heres my prediction: If this happens, then within twelve months there will be no pubs left.

Pompous smokers declared that when they banned smoking inside pubs and restaurants. There’s still pubs and we’ve had 3 open/reopen here in the last 12 months.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I reckon i’m going to get in to house breaking or something. i mean if all the polis are chasing people about the street for smoking, sounds like it’s shooty in! 😆

Drac

i mean if all the polis are chasing people about the street for smoking,

You haven’t read the proposal then?

hels
    Free Member

Wow – the sanctimony levels are reaching critical on this thread today !

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I know you’re annoyed about this binbins, but don’t go letting it affect your sense of proportion now, eh?

The kind of person who enjoys loftily, and humourlessly pontificating…

Not that you’d ever be guilty of that kind of thing. 😆

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

If what you say is true I would suggest there is a market for a pub in every town which is full enclosed, has amazing air filtration systems and can house hundreds of smokers to puff away until their hearts and lungs are content.

Surely even me as an avid non smoker would be happy to see this happen.

But it doesn’t, because as much as you need your fix, you are not willing to keep it to yourself. Your posts even display this attitude. I may come across as 100% anti smoking but I would welcome legalised smoking houses where only smokers could go. You on the other hand have no consideration for people who want to avoid smoking.

hammyuk
    Free Member

You want to smoke in public or around those who don’t?
    Then make sure those around you can’t inhale your smoke.
    Until you can – then don’t come near me or my kids – regardless of whether it’s a pub, restaurant, high street, etc.
    Same as vaping – I don’t want to smell or inhale that shite – so sod off to the same place as the smokers.
    Heres an idea – you want to smoke in a pub garden then get a nice greenhouse – with an extraction and filtration system. You can still enjoy the sun and heat just without subjecting anyone other than the other suicide cult members.

binners

If what you say is true I would suggest there is a market for a pub in every town which is full enclosed, has amazing air filtration systems and can house hundreds of smokers to puff away until their hearts and lungs are content.

No, NO! NO!!

I don’t like it, so therefore it should be banned. Do you not get it?!

Drac

And no **** kids!

GrahamS

You are wrong Graham. I went to the Mercedes factory recently for their big dirty vans.
    Ahh my friend, he replied. That is because the air coming out is cleaner than the air going in.

You mean modern cars are now so clean that they are actively removing pollution from the environment? I’d like to see the figures for that!

Fair point about it being controlled though.

I think the point I was making that lots of people are happy to ban smoking from social places, but would be unhappy to ban cars from them.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

+1 non smoking beer gardens.

Fag smoke is minging.

God knows how/why I used to smoke?!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Car journies in a 2 door car where they would open their window a little to ease the smoke. What it really did was blow the smoke into the back straight into my face.

At least it was a small car 😉 I remember the 70s-80s -when manly men smoking cigars drove an XJS to the pub, stubbed it out on a child’s head before ordering 20 Bensons at the bar to assist them in a chain-smoking fueled rant at the horrors of women drivers, women in management, women in the bar, women in trousers and immigrants.

Thankfully car usage hasn’t risen since then and ‘passive’ traffic pollution has few if any ill-effects on cyclists, children, pedestrians, al-fresco diners or those driving electric vehicles. Outdoors smokers deserve all of the scorn here, they are a selfish stinky bunch of ne’er do-wells.

(Rolls a GV smooth, inserts methol tip, cycles to chemist to fetch Pearl Drops toothpaste)

Harry_the_Spider

I agree with Binners, but as every time I end up in a beer garden* he seems to be there too, so I suppose I would that. Can’t say I’ve noticed the smoke, but if I did I’d probably just move a couple of feet further away.

*If I go with the kids with the intention of eating outside we’ll check to see how vile and terrible it is. If it is vile and terrible we’ll eat inside.

If there is a bouncy castle we wouldn’t consider it. The pub near me has one of these on bank holidays and it looks like a magnate for hyped up kids and their stressed out parents. No wonder they smoke.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What I do not understand is that people can drive a car and smoke at the same time, yet eating an apple, or sipping a drink is not allowed

mrlebowski
    Free Member

By Binners:

“Heres my prediction: If this happens, then within twelve months there will be no pubs left.”

??????

ransos
    Free Member

That was at Euro5 levels and 70% of the range is now already Euro 6 compliant. The levels are now so low that we are talking 0.01% improvements in standards because their aint much more they can do.

You shouldn’t believe everything the manufacturers tell you. In the real world, new vehicles get nowhere near the Euro 6 emissions standard. Given that vehicle emissions are the dominant source of poor urban air quality, it’s a shocking state of affairs.

I’d just like to apologise. How wrong was I about the whiney, pompous, i-know-what’s-good-for-you, sanctimonious, self-righteous, holier than thou bleating, eh?

And the person bleating loudest on this thread is…

bearnecessities

Looks like after a few attempts, Loddrik’s hit the jackpot with this one. 🙂

hels
    Free Member

Can I add ugly fat hairy old people to the list of things that we can ban from pubs ? And dance music.

Pool tables are acceptable and should be encouraged, as are pinball machines.

hels
    Free Member

Oh yes, and beards. Especially on the women.

hammyuk
    Free Member

hels – Member
    Oh yes, and beards. Especially on the women.

Your moustache is looking tremendous though Hels 8)

seosamh77
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    i mean if all the polis are chasing people about the street for smoking,
    You haven’t read the proposal then?

Nah, not really interested, I know what it’s ultimate conclusion will be down the line! 😆

I agree with th smoking ban, but this is verging on fascism! 😆

taxi25
    Free Member

Binners for president 😀 I agree with everything you say and I’m not even a smoker. But I am a true liberal, not in the political but the literal sense. Only thing you got wrong is my birthday, it’s in May not June 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

id be exceedingly happy to ban cars from cities….. park and rides on the edges with regular links – something like san francisco.

knowing our government you would get a ban on cars , 5 parking spaces and a bus every 7 hours.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘Smoking is a pretty disgusting habit, but…’ is closed to new replies.