Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • Smokers and public places in summer
  • Cougar

Strikes me the problem isn't "smokers" per se, it's inconsiderate gits. The smoking is just how they choose to be inconsiderate.

You can smoke by moving away from people, not doing it when others are eating, and bagging dog-ends and taking them away rather than chucking them all over the floor. Or, you can not give a toss.

samuri
    Free Member

These, er, South African prostitutes you mention though….

Well according to one of the wife's glamour mags, South Africa is gearing itself up majorly for the approaching world cup (which is a football game – I looked it up on the internet). The South Africans are expecting lots and lots of football supporters to arrive, get jolly drunk and then want to go and nail someone, a service that the SA brothels are all too happy to provide. Some of these places are having extensions built and have sent scouts out into the countryside to recruit young ladies (and presumably young men since these are football supporters we're talking about) to follow them back to the city where they can earn a fortune just lying on their backs.

It was quite an interesting article despite mainly being aimed at putting the craps up British women by suggesting if their men are going away to watch the footy then they'll spend half their time embedded in SA nationals.

According to the brothel owners, British men are by far the best payers and most regular visitors that they see.

Pook

you could've just asked him to sit downwind of you. Then farted.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The most intolerant hyprocritical bunch of people i have EVER come across are the born again non smoker. F*cking hateful bunch of tossers.
    Oh and i stopped smoking in jan, but i still enjoy the occasional rollie. Doesnt mean i hate all other smokers. It was my choice not to smoke, just as it their choice to smoke.
    Of course herion addition isn't nasty or life detroying now is it? But thats ok as long as we dont see it and therefore conclude it doesnt exist.

Dancake
    Free Member

A lot of non-smokers are offended by someone fagging near you. Smokers know this; I did when I was a smoker so I took my puffing away from families, food etc etc.

Seems to me to be a bit arrogant to be happy to cause offence just because its a "free country" and all that.

If you sit next to a nice family, would you fart, spit on the floor,get your nob out, pick your nose, do any number of offensive things just because you can?

The most intolerant hyprocritical bunch of people i have EVER come across are the born again non smoker

lol you are so right though 🙂

DavidB
    Free Member

All of this could have been avoided if the smoker had simply turned to hora and said "Do you mind if I smoke". What's so **** hard about that?

uplink
    Free Member

and have sent scouts out into the countryside to recruit young ladies

Christ! all we ever did in the Scouts that was remotely interesting was the annual mixed camp with the Guides

I knew things were a bit more liberal now but …………..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When someone sparks up a fag, have a good strain and let off a few noxious trumps in the interests of balance.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Doesnt mean i hate all other smokers

love the smoker (in a purely humantiarian way, obviously), hate the smoke :o)

Of course herion addition isn't nasty or life detroying now is it?

well, actually, heroin is probably more benign than smoking, apart from the exigencies imposed by making it illegal!

soobalias
    Free Member

and there speaks someone who knows what hes talking about.

jon1973
    Free Member

Oh and i stopped smoking in jan, but i still enjoy the occasional rollie.

So you haven't given up smoking then? 😆

samuri
    Free Member

The most intolerant hyprocritical bunch of people i have EVER come across are the born again non smoker
    lol you are so right though

I totally agree, now please get your filthy smell away from me. (Almost a year without now)

love the smoker (in a purely humantiarian way, obviously), hate the smoke :o)

But don't hug them.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Assuming its not cut with toilet cleaner or rat poison eh?
    Im more offended by passive bigotry (thanks Fry and Laurie) to be honest!

Junkyard
    Free Member

darn I agree with sfb 😯 – liked the fish ref btw.

heroin is probably more benign than smoking, apart from the exigencies imposed by making it illegal!

Tis true.
    Unless we outlaw smoking what can they do but smoke publicly outdoors as they cant do it indoors. It only annoys me when they do it in childrens play areas.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Assuming its not cut with toilet cleaner or rat poison eh?

that's what I mant by "apart from the exigencies imposed by making it illegal!". If you could buy it in a shop like coffee there'd be no incentive (and legal penalties) for cutting it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Unless we outlaw smoking what can they do but smoke publicly outdoors

I'm totally against prohibition, however ridicule is a suitable sanction.

kimbers

surely its time someone blamed gordon brown

i mean if his government hadnt brought in the smoking ban inside public places all the smokers wouldnt have to sit outside

😆

considering the amount of pollution pumped out by the cars we all drive a bit of fag smokes not gonna make much diference

Drac

It's the only bad side effect from letting this filthy habit being stopped from forced on us indoors. Be nice if it was stopped where food maybe served but this will never happen. And yes it's a few unpolite smokers really that spoil it.

nickc

There are worse things in the world than having to sit in the open with some-one smoking near you. 🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

There are worse things in the world than having to sit in the open with some-one smoking near you

next to me for instance 🙂

considering the amount of pollution pumped out by the cars we all drive a bit of fag smokes not gonna make much diference

it's not about pollution, and didn't Clarkson say the air coming out of a modern tailpipe is cleaner than that going in ?

Drac

There are worse things in the world than having to sit in the open with some-one smoking near you

Maybe so but I still don't want to do it.

soobalias
    Free Member

quoting clarkson now, oh dear.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

quoting clarkson now, oh dear.

my son used to make me listen to him 🙁

kimbers

go on then clarckson suck on your tailpipe see how long you last
    (COCK)

It is estimated that air pollution – of which vehicle emissions are the major contributor – is responsible for 24,000 premature deaths in the UK every year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/exhaust_emissions.shtml

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Yeah kimbers, and motor vehicles are just as disgusting as smoking.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

go on then clarckson suck on your tailpipe see how long you last

I would like to watch that 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Having spent 6 weeks attending the local cancer unit for radiotherapy, what struck me as obsence was the number of visitors outside the entrance smoking. Patients in a way I can forgive, some of those are terminal and why withdraw soemthing like that, but the visitors were ridiculous. "It'll be you in there in a couple of years, hope you know that!" usually went down well!

Drac

It is estimated that smoking pollution – of which is caused by a filthy habit – is responsible for 11,000 premature deaths in the UK every year. And that's just from passive smoking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4309613.stm

jon1973
    Free Member

Drac – I suspect the smoking ban in public places has reduced that figure a lot. That article was from early 2005. It would be interesting to see how that's changed.

uplink
    Free Member

"It'll be you in there in a couple of years, hope you know that!" usually went down well!

what's the chances of developing lung cancer if you're a smoker?
    I recall 6:1 being a likely ratio
    So you should have said …

"It'll be 16% of you in there in a couple of years, hope you know that!"
    🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The thing is, the smokers brought it on themselves. Pre-ban, if you complained about the smoke, smokers would laugh and say "It's a free country, if you don't like it, go away!". After all, people willing to systematically poison themselves can hardly be expected to be sympathetic to collateral damage. I'm not sure why declining to share in their self destructive impulses is characterised as "whining", but their selfish protests are not ?

Rich
    Free Member

At least cars are useful whilest polluting.

Drac

Drac – I suspect the smoking ban in public places has reduced that figure a lot. That article was from early 2005. It would be interesting to see how that's changed.

Yup it is and it would be.

It was easy to possibly help reduce that figure, cars it's taking longer but I bet it's less than it use to be thanks to various innervations.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The most intolerant hyprocritical bunch of people i have EVER come across are the born again non smoker.

Are you capable of elucidating? How exactly are they hypocritical? Do they complain about people smoking in public places while smoking in public places themselves? Perhaps these people you speak of set small, toxic fires around you and assume that you're happy to breathe the fumes?

F*cking hateful bunch of tossers.

Hypocrite?

antigee

so now we have some stats what is the relationship between smoking and not being able to understand simple written instructions such as:

"Please do not smoke in this doorway"
    "Littering £75 fine"

Drac

so now we have some stats what is the relationship between smoking and not being able to understand simple written instructions such as:

Smoker's are arrogant **** who cry "It's my civil rights"?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Smoker's are arrogant ****

aren't they pathetic self-justifying victims of their vicious commercially exploited addiction ?

hora
    Free Member

aren't they pathetic self-justifying victims of their vicious commercially exploited addiction ?

Thats quite harsh but sadly true.

I'm an ex-smoker and its not until after I quit that I woke up one morning (without the fog of rebellion) and realised how tobacco companies manipulate and tag onto our desire for freedom from being told whats good for us.
    Until I realised I had one left and the shop were closed for the evening. Then I realised I was addicted.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Thats quite harsh but sadly true.

it wasn't meant to be harsh, merely accurate

bigyinn
    Free Member

F*cking hateful bunch of tossers.

Hypocrite?
    No i am hateful also.
    Its their holier than thou attitude that irritates me. The way they witter on about how disgusting it is, yet 6 weeks ago they were outside with me puffing away.
    And yes i agree that people smoking near children (theirs or others) should be killed. The number of mums i see puffing away whilst pushing the pram is ridiculous!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Smokers and public places in summer’ is closed to new replies.