Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Smoke detectors
  • backinireland
    Free Member

One is constantly chirping even though battery has been changed.
    240volt with battery backup, 5 of them linked together (wired)
    House is 10 years old so reckon I’ll just change them all.

Few questions

What are the thermoptek ones, any better?
    Should I combine co detectors in kitchen (gas cooker) and lounge (wood burner) with smoke alarm or just keep separate units?
    Currently no alarm in garage which is separate from house. What is best type for garage and could it be linked wirelessly to ones in house?
    Are there types to link to wifi to send you an alert on your phone?

leffeboy

Nest ones are awesome, link by WiFi and will send an alert to your phone
    They are also butt clenchingly expensive

bruneep

I’d change all the batteries too see if it stops the chirp

Heat detector for garage

goldfish24

It may be telling you it’s too old – smoke detectors have a ten year life. Or it may be telling you it’s gotten too dirty (if it’s an optical type)
    There might be a sticker on the back or inside the lid telling you what chirp patterns mean.

timba
    Free Member

Spider inside? Give them all a clean and check the expiry date while you’re there. Be careful not to knock and change any dipswitches that you find

backinireland
    Free Member

I’ve disconnected it and chirp has stopped, others ok
    I’d rather just change them all due to age
    Anyone any recommendations?

leffeboy

been discussed a few times here. Worth a nose through the threads. google ‘site:singletrackworld.com smoke detectors’

footflaps

Anyone any recommendations?

We have NEST detectors. They all link by Wifi / Zigby and send alerts to your phone etc. They also speak and would say ‘battery low in living room’ rather than just chirp.

Expensive, but very clever. I have one in the Workshop (50m from the house, out of wifi range) and it links over the LAN and so if the workshop catches fire, the house alarms will sound and tell me. Only imperfection is ‘Workshop’ isn’t in the speech vocab, so the alert message is “Warning, smoke in the basement’.

leffeboy

I love the nest stuff as well. It doesn’t just beep, it tells you which room the problem is in as well (as long as it is within the list of names in its vocuabulary). Similarly, if one becomes disconnected from the others it will flash to let you know. Finally they run a check every month to let you know they are still up and running and you get an email. As close to fit and forget as you are going to get but at a cost. Having got them I wouldn’t go back now though but, like with bikes, there is probably something at half the cost that is close and good enough for practical purposes

bruneep

or just get free ones from your local fire service 😉

Flaperon

Do you have kids? On the news the other day that traditional smoke alarms don’t wake them at night, but a voice does.

Worth considering the Nest on those grounds. Find it hard to believe they’re the only manufacturer to do it, though.

Oh, and buy from a shop with a large turnover or direct from Nest, as if it’s been sitting in a crate in a warehouse for a year you’ll lose a percentage of the device’s lifespan (electronically calculated from build date).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bruneep i have your free ones in the loft and eaves but iirc these days if you have 2 floor then the smoke alarms must be linked – so if ground floors going off so is upstairs. – and it sounds like the op already has this in place.
    The free ones don’t do this – unless you have updated them….Although better than nothing 🙂

bruneep

you got the shit ones only suitable for lower deeside residents. 😉

I dont get spending near a £100 on a smoke alarm when they still have the same 10yr lifespan as the ones we give them away free..

leffeboy

see also on-one bicycles 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Smoke detectors’ is closed to new replies.