Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Smile – anyone bank with them (or recommend me a decent current account)
  • woffle
    Free Member

Planning on moving our last account from Lloyds and want to open a simple current account with someone.

What I need:

Decent internet banking.

What I don't need:

Overdraft.
    "Bundled" extras with accompanying fees.

Preferably a bank with a decent track record of customer service would be good. Had a nightmare in the past with Natwest and have had enough of Lloyds. Smile look good – run as part of the co-op which also appeals (ethical and all that).

Wondered if anyone had any other suggestions or recommendations.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I binned Barclays to go with Smile about 6 years ago. Never had a single problem with them. You can use co-op brnach facilities if you ever need too and the ethical thing is a bonus too.

clubber
    Free Member

I use them as a savings account. I don't think much of their online service compared to others I use.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I've been with First Direct for years, they are the daddy of internet banking, with really good call centre staff too.

I wouldn't change to any other bank.

http://www.newsroom.firstdirect.com/press/release/first_direct_is_the_uks_top_ca

Flaperon

Nationwide? £75 if you switch current accounts and always been fine for me. Free cash withdrawals abroad was the main reason I switched though.

stealthcat

I ditched Smile for Nationwide – online is better laid out and easier to log in, and Nationwide seem to pay more interest…

johnnyc

I'd also recommend First Direct. Really good internet banking, and if you ever do need to call them the customer service is superb. Also a £100 switching offer on at the moment as an added bonus.

richcc
    Free Member

I've just gone to First Direct as well after getting hacked off with Halifax. Great experience so far.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I bank with Smile, seem fine to me but I've not used another internet bank to compare against. Bit of a pain if no co-op bank branch in your town but you can pay in at the post office which takes a bit longer for cheques.

Only problems I've had is with overdraft stuff in the past, but mostly minor and they've paid back charges as good will gestures on occasion when I've had a moan. Which no other bank has ever done for me.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

First Direct can use branch banking at HSBC as well.

anagallis_arvensis

I've banked with smile for about 8 years, always been good.

withersea
    Free Member

First Direct – ace customer service – excellent online

woffle
    Free Member

right, off to have a look at nationwide and first direct too then…

Cheers!

atlaz
    Free Member

Another vote for first direct. They sorted out my mortgage quickly too.

hh45
    Free Member

First Direct – i moved there from Lloyds in 1995 and no turning back. I hate to be polite about a bank but they really do deliver the goods (and the service).
    Backing of HSBC unlike some of the newer trendy banks.
    I believe they may have monthly minimum income but otherwidse i cannot fault.

forge197
    Free Member

I moved to First Direct around 9 years ago from one of the then Big Five they are fantastic, coupled with good on-line banking and telephone banking it works very well. When there have been issues the staff have taken ownership and dealt with it and the outcome has always been postive.

Best bank I've ever used.

I had a savings account with Nationwide and the telephone element of servicing that was dire, branches have always been good though for the very few times I went there.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Shouldn't say this as I work for one of their competitors, but First Direct really are excellent, been with them since they first started in the early 90's (had an old Midland Bank a/c that I moved across)and can honestly say in all that time I've not had the slightest reason to grumble about them. Highly recommended.

DrJ

+1 for First Direct. As already mentioned, great online service and excellent human beings at the end of the phone.

konabunny
    Free Member

Been with smile for years: no problems whatsoever. Their online interface isn't superflashy but it's simple, no flash and it all seems to work. Call centre staff are all very good although I often can't understand their funny accents (Yorkshire).

I would not piss on Royal Bank of Scotland if they were on fire. I keep a current account with HBOS that has a 20 pence balance – I get a tiny, pathetic bit of satisfaction knowing that it costs them money to keep me as a customer.

woffle
    Free Member

looks like I may give Smile a go – First Direct look like they'd want a minimum monthly income into the accountotherwise you incur account charges (or whether or not that's only regarding their £100 switch offer I'm not sure). May have to give them a call.

afmell
    Free Member

Only thing to be aware of with Smile is they've introduced a hardware keypad thingy that you have to use to do anything useful online – royal pain having to find it just to pay my bills online (you need to put your card in the reader, type your PIN, type an 8 digit code off the website into the reader and then type another 8 digit code back into the website – painful). Planning to move to First Direct – when I can be bothered.

anagallis_arvensis

afmell, I have been with them years and dont use one of those things, mrs has one for shat west though

RustyMac

I recommend Alliance and Leicester.

Premier current account will give you a free account, you get £100 for moving, and you also get free european travel insurance. Internet banking seems pretty good.

Cheers

Rusty

afmell
    Free Member

@anagallis_arvensis – wish they'd given me the option to skip it. I've been with them 10 years+ and only got one recently (well, a year or so ago). Looking at their terms they think you need a card reader to use the internet – you're lucky (or maybe they're picking on me).

soops
    Free Member

First Direct for 12 years.
    Moved for the same reasons.
    Free £250 overdaft as well

nbt

I've used smile for years and they've been fine. The card reader thingy is a royal pain in the arse, but I also have on on the nationwide account I've set up for use abroad.

backhander
    Free Member

I have a cardreader for nationwide.
    They're OK as to bank with, certainly better than lloyds etc.
    Interested in smile though.

backhander
    Free Member

Oops

grahamb
    Free Member

Another happy Smile user here. The user interface is simple & works fine with non Microsoft browsers, which is essential for me.

The hardware key generator might be a PITA, but it's one of the better ways of overcoming account fraud. I'd worry about a using bank that doesn't use it, or something similar, nowadays.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Smile – anyone bank with them (or recommend me a decent current account)’ is closed to new replies.