Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Smell/Taste Deja Vu
  • chvck
    Free Member

Does anyone else get this?

When I smell/eat certain things I get really intense deja vu (like I become convinced that I’ve seen a brand new episode showing on the TV before) and slightly nauseated for a while (sometimes until I go do/look at something I know for a fact I’ve never done/seen before). It’s not as bad now as it used to be and seems to just happen randomly but only with certain foods.

Usually it’s smelling or eating stuff like porridge, ready brek, rice pudding etc… Very odd!

chvck
    Free Member

No-one else then? It’s just happened again to me!

redted
    Free Member

If I smell certain things I can often get instant and vivid memories from previous places,situations and experiences, even from 20+ years ago. Freaks me out when it happens. Smell is thought to be closely linked to memory*

(*in a typically broad sweeping, no evidence, some bloke down the pub heard it said by someone somewhere way)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Smell is thought to be closely linked to memory*

(*in a typically broad sweeping, no evidence, some bloke down the pub heard it said by someone somewhere way)

Pretty sure that that is actually true and that two guys won the Nobel Prize for genetics or whatever about five years ago for their work on the subject, i.e. showing the genetic link between smell and memory.

wwaswas

whenever I smell Citronella I think I’m back in Ouagadougou.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I’m Bipolar, and like many sufferers have a very sensitive sense of smell, I often smell familiar scents that no one else does, but can’t always place them, and obviously can’t get any help from my sense deprived companions. Drives me mad (ohh, that’s a pun eh?)

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

pretty well known linkage between smell and memory

People with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy may get deja/jamais vu and/or taste or smell sensations as part of their seizures.

If you were smelling the smell without the food being present and then getting deja vu I’d have been worried and suggest talking with someone about it.

For me it is often perfumes/smells of places which trigger quite sharp memories of things/people from many years ago in a way that sounds and words don’t. Never had the deja vu bit…

brakes
    Free Member

If you were smelling the smell without the food being present and then getting deja vu I’d have been worried and suggest talking with someone about it.

I get this sometimes but without the deja vu, it’s like your nose can remember a smell and relive the sense of it but it’s mostly uncommon smells that you often can’t put your finger on, like the smell of your Nan’s house or your old Meccano set

sslowpace
    Free Member

O Bugger, looks like The Matrix is borked again….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Smell/Taste Deja Vu’ is closed to new replies.