Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Smells….
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Are the most memory triggering sense for me. Mrs nobeerinthefridge runs a brownie group, and is paranoid about paperwork and the kids data etc…

So, I’m outside tonight burning a ream of papers, and all of a sudden I’m back 33 years to cubs on the Isle of arran.

Those were the days.

What’s your memory smell?.

Bregante

Death.

Every time I smell rotting flesh I’m immediately taken back 16 years to boxing day and the discovery of an elderly woman who had been wrapped in viscoene sheeting by the man that killed her 5 months earlier.

eddie11
    Free Member

rain on dry ground. [/end thread]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thread’s not over until you use the correct word – Petrichor.

[/Now you can end the thread]

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Napalm in the morning…

…Oh wait I am getting my threads mixed up.

Iron Sky.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Hot metal.

In my youth I did my apprenticeship as a mechanical engineer, and used angle grinders quite a bit.

So that smell of burning metal.

I get it sometimes when a lorry brakes hard and I can smell the hot metal.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about the smell of methedrine, Mary?

WTF
    Free Member

So that smell of burning metal.

Angle grinder abrasive wheels smell being used, the metal doesn’t.
    As for brakes it is the pads material that smells which is sort of similar to clutch lining for those that can`t drive properly
    35 years in engineering has taught me this.

eddie11
    Free Member

Thread’s not over until you use the correct word – Petrichor.

[/Now you can end the thread]

its got a name!?

this makes me so happy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Eddie, it’s a bit of a neologism, but one with solid etymological roots. A delicious word to use.

For me, it’s up there with the word “museum”. Which means, “Let us think”. Which is brilliant.

MoreCashThanDash

Every time I smell rotting flesh

Not a phrase I’ve seen on here before…..

mogrim

What about the smell of methedrine, Mary?

I believe Lucretia smelt it first.

Edukator
    Free Member

… like teen spirit.

welshfarmer

Virkon S

That was the Ministry approved disinfectant used during the post cull clean up following the Foot & Mouth cull back in 2001. A horrible time and a horrible smell. Will live with me for the rest of my life 🙁

breadcrumb

Wax crayons take me back to infant school.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Nice one briggers, thats like the About the Author section of every Pratchett I ever read.

Hmmm.

Actually I did have this recently-a loo rimblock with a perfume I hadn’t smelt in, ooh, 20 years? Sounda bizarre, but I was taken back to the house of the woman who looked after me as a little kid. Nutz 😀

binners

Castrol R. Just a whiff of it and I’m 4 years old, stood with my dad at Deer Leep at Oulton Park watching the Gulf GT40’s roaring past

leffeboy

Petrol lawnmowers remind me of the smell of the cheap petrol on cold mornings that you see sold at the side of the road when travelling in some countries.

maccruiskeen

its got a name!?

this makes me so happy.

I was working on a fit out in a big city library a while back. One of my crew had given up smoking and was enjoying getting subtleties of smell and taste back. In a conversation ‘Petrichor’ came up and that lead to further chat about things that we didn’t know had names. This led to the question:

“Heres a thing that I’ve never known the word for – you know when a man and a lady are sharing a bath right? And the man farts and the woman has to try and bite the bubbles…. the word for that.”

A library probably isn’t the most appropriate for the amount of laughter that caused. 😆

bearnecessities

Right, I’ll be the first to say gt85.

I don’t need to explain the fantastic, experience-defining smell. Fitting your newly upgraded second hand XT rear mech, making your first attempt at servicing elastomer forks and trying to eliminate that bloody creak in the chain set, somewhere, whilst listening to your Mum shout that dinner was ready.

Gt85 fixed everything and frankly, defined the best years of my life.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Petrol…. Smells like the future

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Ether.

Oh wait, forget it

maccruiskeen

I built some stuff out of pieces of Iroco that had been salvaged from a school. I think they’d been the benches in the gym changing rooms. The first job to prep the wood was scraping about 40 running meters of chewing gum blobs off the underside of the planks and as each piece pinged off I was reminded of different rooms in my own school – the school had been expanded in stages over 40 odd years and each room must have had a faint whiff of the dominant chewing gum brand / flavour of their day.

Cutting up old furniture – especially chests of drawers gives off all sorts of emotive smells too – detergents and toiletries from different eras- just for a few seconds after you’ve cut them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I was working on a fit out in a big city library a while back. One of my crew had given up smoking and was enjoying getting subtleties of smell and taste back. In a conversation ‘Petrichor’ came up and that lead to further chat about things that we didn’t know had names. This led to the question:

“Heres a thing that I’ve never known the word for – you know when a man and a lady are sharing a bath right? And the man farts and the woman has to try and bite the bubbles…. the word for that.”

A library probably isn’t the most appropriate for the amount of laughter that caused.

That wins teh interwebz for tonight! Brilliant!

DezB
    Free Member

Disinfectant- reminds me of our family home back in the early 80s. Our new dog used to shit on the carpet in various hidden places. Mum would clean it up and soak the carpet in that old disinfectant stuff.

Sandwich

The grass and petrol smell in the garage after the mower goes back on a Sunday. Back to being 10 again.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I was having this very conversation about memories and smells with no3 child the other day. I’d picked him up from school and as he sat down – I asked him why he’d only just eaten his lunch.

He looked at me a little surprised – I said you’ve only just eaten a peanut butter sandwich. I had to explain my odd reaction to him

They develop a funny smell when they’ve been in a lunch box. And it’s a smell that makes me upset so quickly – it’s bizarre.

The smell takes me right back to being very small when my mum left and I was sent to a preschool (that I was too small for), I can remember not speaking to anyone being quite confused and more than anything the smell of peanut butter sandwiches in my lunch box every day.

My kids rarely have peanut butter especially in their lunchboxes – so I haven’t smelt that smell for a while. Shocked me how it still all came flooding back

pitduck
    Free Member

2 stroke oil, always make me think of Bellevue manchester in the 70s

garage-dweller

Polyester resin / thinners / filler especially wafting through the air near the river and mixed with salt air.

Reminds me of tinkering with boats and sailing in my teens.

Cougar

Years ago – think like late 70s / early 80s – there was a craze for scratch ‘n’ sniff cards. There was a tie-in with some sciency TV show or other, where you’d to scratch the card at the appropriate point as part of the ‘experiment.’ Might’ve been Tomorrow’s World or something similar.

There was one which confused me, apparently supposed to be “detergent,” it smelt vaguely soapy but like no soap my prepubescent nose had ever encountered.

Fast forward to earlier this year, walking across the car park at work. Its an area of varying smells as it’s on an industrial park. There’s a place that must make soft drinks or sweets of something, every now and then you get a waft of Vimto; sometimes there’s less pleasant aromas depending which way the wind’s blowing. And suddenly, there it was, that “detergent” smell from the scratch ‘n’ sniff card, second time in my life I’d smelt it. It stopped me dead in my tracks, and I’m like 8 or 9 again with the Radio Times in my mum’s living room, Michael Rodd or Fred Harris or someone on the telly.

Funny things, smells.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Rotting seaweed, the salty, sandy smell when there is loads of kelp on the beach after a storm.

Takes me straight back to being 5 and getting out of the car at the coast at the beginning of the school holidays. Love it.

SaxonRider

1. Plywood being cut with a table saw. My dad was always building.

2. A two-stroke lawnmower engine. It smells exactly like the old 70hp Mercury engine on my uncle’s motorboat on West Hawk Lake.

3. And of course, freshly mowed grass.

maccruiskeen

Years ago – think like late 70s / early 80s – there was a craze for scratch ‘n’ sniff cards. There was a tie-in with some sciency TV show or other, where you’d to scratch the card at the appropriate point as part of the ‘experiment.’ Might’ve been Tomorrow’s World or something similar.

I’m one of the *whatever* percentage of people who can’t smell scratch and sniff cards. They all just smell the same to me and nothing like anything else – just a unique sweet and acrid aroma. Visiting the Yorvik Viking Centre as a teenager where they’ve tried to recreate all the sights sounds and smells of viking life I learned that the 8th to 11th centuries in Britain smelled like scratch and sniff cards.

chorlton
    Free Member

Tents.Hawthorn. Wild Garlic. Petrichor (cheers CFH) 🙂

lunge

Rain on a summer evening, there is no finer smell in the world IMO.
    Bonfires take me back to my childhood home where Dad would burn garden stuff, paper and who knows what else.
    GT85 is obviously like catnip for cyclists.
    Brand new tyres, they smell like bike shops, specifically Halesowen Cycles where I spent far too much time and money in the early 90’s.
    Old, smokey pubs, even the stale smell that’s left following the smoking ban. My Dad played semi-pro football so Saturday afternoon were spent watching from the terraces then in the social club afterwards. The smell always takes me straight back.

Pz_Steve

Woodsmoke is very evocative: it takes me back to a VentureScouts weekend in a tumbledown shack at the foot of the Sugar Loaf near Abergavenny, and then 10 years later to the very chocolate-box village I lived in, in the Cotswolds (a whole lifetime ago).

Better than that is the smell of hot sun on skin. Always reminds me of my first girlfriend – and always will.

But no. 1 has to be simple suntan lotion – when I was 19 I worked a season as a canoeing instructor on the Ardeche in France, and the smell of suntan lotion always, always takes me straight back, no matter how incongruous the circumstances.

funkmasterp

Vosene shampoo always reminds me of being a kid, fresh tarmac too.

badllama
    Free Member

the smell of a privet hedge in flower reminds me of my mum taking me to school (it was a very rare occurrence due to the fact she worked).

Tresor perfume, reminds me on an ex when we first started going out we wrote letters to each other (now that’s showing my age!!) And she always sprayed the writing paper with it so when I opened it I just smelt of her perfume I still get it now and again in shopping centers when a woman walks past and I get a sniff I always look just to see if it’s her lol

matt_outandabout

Rain in a forest after a dry period.
    Heather on the mountain.
    Wild jasmine on a river bank.
    A barbecue at the end of a summers day.
    Coffee in the morning.

JAG

Cow/Sheep shit;

Reminds me of the hours spent working as a young man on an old friends farm. He has now died and the farm is gone but when I’m out cycling I occasionally smell THAT smell and I’m back in his Farmyard with him doing all those amazing, lovely things we used to get up to 😀

I LOVE that feeling…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Smells….’ is closed to new replies.