Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Smell Helly, if you would be so kind.
  • rockymerlin
    Free Member

I use smelly helly hansen base layers, however they are getting old and have been through the wash tonnes.

Does any body have any recommendations for a good alternative?

I like the light summer ones as I would rather double up, adds much more flexibility ths way.

I’m thinking of buying 5, so a bargin would be good too.

Thankyou kindly

Sam

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tried a few, but always come back to HH. Value and performance that is hard to beat. And personally never got the smelly bit. Much less than more recent alternatives.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

new ones are not scratchy and don’t get as smelly as the old ones – much better

andyl
    Free Member

screwfix were selling them off cheap. Not sure if they are still on offer.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Great, seen them at go outdoors for £15 each, seems like a bargain, think I’ll stick.

Cheers guys

matt_outandabout

For light, thin and really quick breathing, Patagonia capilene every time.
    For warmth, Helly Warm (merino/manmade mixed) everytime, although my new Montane Bionic mixed ones are also ace…

gaffney
    Free Member

Merino base layers are awesome, are warm in winter, cool in summer, dry quick and don’t smell so much. Use one of them 🙂

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Been using one of these CLICKY for a while and it’s been great…

hooja
    Free Member

splash out and buy a finisterre merino base, reassuringly expensive but you won’t regret it

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Helly Warm is indeed teh awsumz.

oreetmon
    Free Member

certain army issue base layers are (or used to be) the same material as helly lifas but without the badges.
    i paid £3 each for mine,,,, bargain.

dobo
    Free Member

certain army issue base layers are (or used to be) the same material as helly lifas but without the badges.

true its made from polyproperlyene but you also missed a bit of the end

certain army issue base layers are (or used to be) the same material as helly lifas but without the badges and the DESIGN and FIT

also check out gore base layers

fwiw both helly hansen and gore sizing is sized too small so size up.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Another vote for merino. No need to have loads of them as they do not smell. Ever…

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Endura baabaa merino for me. My daily commute is 30mins each way. I can go two weeks before they get smelly.

wilsonalasdair
    Free Member

Have you ever tried the uni qlo heat-tech stuff?

generallevi
    Free Member

Go on Wiggle mate and look up Halo Sports Wash. The kid who invented it did it to fight MRSA in hospitals so it will take the smell out of anything!! £5.99 for a bottle that does 25 washes. Hundreds of people have literally said that it sorted out base layers that they were on the verge of chucking out, check the reviews.

Personally it has sorted out 3 of my Rab base layers that I use on the Turbo Trainer and they were honking!!

Give it a try ace,

Lee.

hainman
    Free Member
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Merino gets wet, lifa doesn’t

Bought some icebreaker merino for the wife for skiing, she hated it, but like the HH lifa stuff

FuzzyWuzzy

Can’t beat Craft baselayers, not cheap though 🙁

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

+1 for merino. Expensive but you won’t need to buy 5 as you’ll need fewer washes. Loads more comfortable than polypropylene too. Finisterre ones are brilliant but pricy – they did have some in the sale a few weeks back though.

Yes Merino does get wet, but the point is it still keeps you warm when it does. 36 million sheep can’t be wrong.

Thing is to go for the finer grade ones – heavier grade merino can be a bit too warm and you can always layer up.

warpcow
    Free Member

The net/mesh merino tops are very good. Wick better than heavier ones but just as warm ime.

mmannerr

I haven’t seen sheep exercising and sweating for fun like humans do? Maybe it is time for the merino debate again.

Anyway, “Sports wash” type detergents really do work wonders on smelly synthetic baselayers. For my use it is usually enough to use them in maybe on every third wash to keep them odourless. Then again I’m using mostly Craft baselayers which can be washed in 60 and 90C temps.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I haven’t seen sheep exercising and sweating for fun like humans do?

You obviously didn’t grow up in North Wales like I did.

donks
    Free Member

I thought it was just me with the smelly helly top. Don’t wear mine any more as it just stinks where as the other brands I have are fine??

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I thought it was just me with the smelly helly top. Don’t wear mine any more as it just stinks where as the other brands I have are fine??

You are lucky, some materials smell like you have peed on them.

I have a running top they gave out at a half marathon – really nice, soft synthetic material.

But if you leave it unwashed it smells like you have had an accident in your shorts…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve used smelly hellies for years and I don’t think you can get away with the smell they give off.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I bought two HH warm tops a few years ago when they had an outlet at Bicester Village (I am tight when it comes to spending on myself). They are almost too hot. Fine for skiing and this weekend they were perfect under a simple NF windproof cycle shell (also Bicester!). Two thin layers were ample for riding in the snow.

But far too hot to run in!!

Re smells, I have also had event tops that have really clung onto to smells much more than any HH.

aP
    Free Member

As written above try Uniqlo heat-tech tops. They’re ace.

tinybits
    Free Member

There was a thread on here a while ago with a guy who soaked his stinking tee’s in white vinegar before washing, Apparently it worked a treat.

Mind you, that sports wash further up the page looks to be cheaper then vinegar…

billyblackheart
    Free Member

couple of Tablespoons of Baking Powder and White Vinegar in the washing drawer…freshens even oh shit it’s sat in your PVC duffle bag for two years Lifa tops 🙂

SimonR

Not sure that Helly stuff smells any more than other synthetic makes but I’ve started to use this stuff HERE

Seems to work really well – even on commuting kit which only ever gets to dry out slowly at work.

tonyd

I use baking soda when it all gets a bit too smelly. Leave kit to soak in a bucket of diluted baking soda for a day or so, then wash as normal and it’s fresh again. Does make the reflective bits go a bit funny though so beware.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Smell Helly, if you would be so kind.’ is closed to new replies.