Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Smeg oven not working after power cut – HELP! Repair in Bristol before Xmas?!?
  • DoctorRad
    Free Member

Our Smeg oven has stopped working, and I'm not convinced it has worked since there was a power cut in the last week. This seems to be a common problem, but I've not found a solution on the net which works.

Small oven / grill is working, oven light works on large oven, but thermostat light only flickers when main control is moved and oven not heating up.

Timer seems to have been reset properly after the power cut, and oven is not in demo mode.

Can anyone help? Does anyone know anyone who might be able to repair it in the next 24 hours in Bristol?

Thanks,

Dr. Matt…

Stoner
    Free Member

are there any splits in the element? Was it on during the power cut?

If so it could be a blown element. Easy enough to replace, but you'll have to work fast in time for turkey 🙂

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with element visually, wasn't on during power cut. Would broken element mean the 'heating' light won't come on? Can I test element with a multimeter? Just a continuity check?

allthepies
    Free Member

Reboot it ?

Radioman

We always have problems with our SMEG oven. To make it work we just press all 4 buttons on the timer together for a few seconds…you probably already have.

The latest problem on it is the fan makes one hell of a racket… not good on an oven about 4yrs old costing a few grand..

I think SMEG are **ap. We have their dishwasher too. Not good either. Even our electrician can't get the light in their hob to work.

Good luck with it Dr Matt. I think we too will be faced with some hefty oven bills next year 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

When I tested a bust element for continuity it passed. But it was shagged – could see a split in it.

Sounds more like your ovens has bells and whistles to go wrong – ours is little more than a large kettle and about as complicated.

Sorry. Cant be any more help.

WBC

I've got a SMEG oven and fairly recently it tripped the circuit breaker for some reason. Since then the thermostat light comes on when I switch the fan oven on, but it doesn't heat up. I've just been making do with using the regular non-fan assisted oven mode which works fine. As it is a rented property I'm not too concerned as the repair will not be footed by me, but unimpressed at how a six month old oven is going wrong already.

flatback
    Free Member

whats the model number

myheadsashed

lol my smeg oven broke on Monday night – I think the element has gone must be quite common by the sounds of it.

sturmey
    Free Member

Most element faults are faul to earth which means it should trip the RCCB when switched on. More likely to be a temp sensor that has failed. They are found around the back of the oven with two wires going to them from the thermostst to the element. Bridge the two wires together to see if it starts to work if it does replace faulty sensor.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

It's a DO81CSS-5. Thanks for the idea about the heat sensor, will try to bridge it if we can't get anyone out to it. Could be fun getting round the back though…

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Should the heat sensor be a 'closed when cold' switch, or do they tend to be thermistors? Wondering if I can test it through continuity rather than shorting it?

sturmey
    Free Member

I would think so they are usually just a bimetal switch (cheap) I have a smeg oven and it looks nice but possibly a bit form over function. sorry

flatback
    Free Member

possible cut out stat, as suggested,

dawson

ignore me – just re-read the OP

igm

My Smeg blew an element, but didn't go solid to earth. So after the element had gone I could fire up the rest of the electrics, the other two elements in the oven (it's a top, bottom and fan element type) were fine, and the blown element showed no signs of distress and checked out OK(ish) on a multimeter. It just didn't work.
    After removing and reassembling to check the connections I stuck a new element in. Worked fine instantly – and not expensive if you buy a generic element. Best bet check out what you can in terms of the connections, is the controller sending volts to the element etc, then scan your yellow pages, and ring round to find a repair shop that stock the elements. It was a 20 minute job with no experience to swap an element over.

grantway
    Free Member

Have you re set the clock on the Oven ?
    You must set the clock first, but you say
    part of the cooker is working.
    il go with the bi metal switch
    Smeg appliances are not good

Where abouts are you?
    if near East London you can always bring your turkey
    here and il cook it for you first thing in the Morning
    Christmas day.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Smeg oven not working after power cut – HELP! Repair in Bristol before Xmas?!?’ is closed to new replies.