Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Smashed my laptop. Help!
  • SaxonRider

I just dropped my closed laptop on the stone kitchen floor from about 4 feet. It landed screen (topside) down, like a pancake, smacking the floor.

The computer turned on with no problem, but the screen (which shows no visible, physical damage), just glows white across the top 3/4, while the remaining 1/4 has pixelated lines running through it.

Does this mean that I only smashed the screen, and that the computer should be fine? In other words, will it be worth my while just getting a screen and replacing it? Or do I have to go computer shopping?

It’s 5 year-old HP Pavilion dm1-1010sa, and it has done well by me these last number of years. 🙁

leffeboy

5 years old, it’s usually more cost effective to replace. However you can always check that’s it’s ok by plugging an external monitor in if you have one (and have an external monitor port of course)

johnners
    Free Member

Try plugging it in to a monitor.

seadog101

Happened to a mate of mine. Removed the screen, found a cheap monitor and it became a very neat and compact desktop for his kids to abuse.

jota180
    Free Member

The screen is probably connected with a push fit ribbon cable, reseat that to verify it’s making a good contact.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Sell it on ebay as a rare, collector’s item, x-treme laptop and charge stupid postage?

Youtube is usually full of videos of smug children teaching you how to swap out laptop screens, once you’ve done what Johnners & Jota said.

Cougar

The screen is probably connected with a push fit ribbon cable, reseat that to verify it’s making a good contact.

Exactly my first thought.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My Acer Ferrari did that. Ribbon went and cost silly money.

I plugged it into a monitor and used that until the new range of i5 processors came along and new laptop.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Smashed my laptop. Help!’ is closed to new replies.