Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Smashed iPhone5 screen – anyone DIY repaired?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Smashed my screen to smithereens a few weeks ago and am finally considering using my gadget insurance to get it sorted – but theres a £50 policy excess to consider (im totally skint at the moment)

A quick google/ebay search would reveal an abundance of repair kits for £5 upwards, and an abundance of documented ‘how to’s.

Everyone ive asked has said DONT DO IT!, as inevitably the phone ends up in a worse state than it was before you hacked away at it – but im wondering if anyone here has a success story of a DIY repair?

I quite fancy changing the colour of the screen edge at the same time!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I tried it on a HTC, went badly (touch screen presses never aligned properly).

Sell it or get it done properly imo

slimjim78
    Free Member

I just realised, I have some dodgy blacked out LCD pixels, so it would appear a simple glass screen replacement is not an option for me, so looks like im stuck with an insurance claim..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

If you replace the screen you replace the entire display.

It’s pretty hairy and if you’re not confident get someone who is to do it. There are videos online of how to do it. It was simple on the 3, it’s gotten progressively more difficult with newer models. I did a 4S recently for a mate thinking it would be as easy as the older models, quickly turned into a job I wish I’d never taken on!

fisha
    Free Member

You replace he entire LCD and digitiser for the iphone 5 as the 2 are bonded together. I bought an replacement from regizmo and it arrived fine

It’s easy on the 5. Two screws at bottom, sucker screen off, disconnect cables and replace ( give or take swapping home button) .

Took me 10 mins tops.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

What /\ he said

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Guide here:
    iFixit guide

You want to try changing the back cover on an iPhone 3GS, that’s complicated. So many screws.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s easy on the 5. Two screws at bottom, sucker screen off, disconnect cables and replace ( give or take swapping home button) .

Was like that on the old 3. Be glad it’s not a 4S, you have to do it back to front, that was a bloody nightmare requiring the whole thing to be taken apart just to replace the display.

benp1

How much was your new screen? (parts only)

I had mine replaced by Apple, walked in with my phone, they gave me a new phone and transferred the warranty. Used iCloud to sync the info, walked out happy. So easy and much safer than the dodgy back alley phone shops I was asking, especially considering it was the same price!

damascus
    Free Member

If you replace the screen with a non apple screen then it voids your warranty. If you ever have an issue they will charge you to replace the screen first before they repair the problem.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

So keep the old screen jussin case

Tonight I’ve just done 2 4s’ and a five. Gimme a five any day

p8ddy
    Free Member

I replaced my old iPhone 4 screen with one from iFixit.

If you’re going to do it, get the tools as well. They only come to about £10 and it makes things much easier. The screwdriver and the official apple pointy thing are the ones you want.

It’s not difficult at all, just involved and time consuming. Lots of screws and little bits. mark up your screws and you’ll be laughing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Smashed iPhone5 screen – anyone DIY repaired?’ is closed to new replies.