Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Smartwater – anyone use it?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

As the title really, just seen an advert on tv. Looks like a good option to deter thieves and recover property.

stavromuller
    Free Member

BT use it in their cables and it’s a virtual DNA type of identification but hideously expensive on a small scale

Bushwacked
    Free Member

The one I saw was £20 for a motorbike

spooky_b329

As Stavro says, BT use it and I think they actually put it inside the cables so its there for life. I’m probably covered from head to toe in the stuff 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Used it in an investigation into illegal dumping of waste by skip firms. Very effective.

Pook

I guess the thing for us is…

1) Do buyers from street bike traders/car booters check for it?
    2) Do Cash Converters et al check for it?

paul4stones

Some insurers won’t cover you for metal theft if you don’t use it . . .

brakes
    Free Member

wasn’t this on an episode of Brass Eye?

supertacky
    Free Member

I work for BT and have been using it for about 6 months.
    Its chemical DNA registered by the user to certain bits of plant in geographic locations making it very easy to identify stolen material and link it exactly to a crime scene.

Not sure but I think its actually manufactured into the cables these days.

Its a major deterrent as scrap yards lose a fortune when they are found to have it on the premises. They also liberaly grass in who and when it was sold to them. Most scrap yards have cameras.

supertacky
    Free Member

Meant to say that the stuff sticks like shit and takes ages to wash off from hands and clothing. Really good for matching people to places and items.

tinman66
    Free Member

I work for a NHS trust and we mark all our IT equipment etc with smart water. Seems really good idea and if you put the stickers on as well it acts as a deterrent. The only issue is without the stickers the little thieving buggers won’t know its there until the coppers knock on their door. On the plus side you’ll hopefully get your property back.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I wouldn’t drink anything else.

If you are what you eat…then why not what you drink too?! :mrgreen:

mr-bump
    Free Member

Our local police force gave this out for free an an attempt to cut thefts.

All my bikes have been done along with care valueables etc.

We also got window stickers etc, great deterant if you ask me.

tthew

I’ve said it before on here, but there is a more domestic version that you can find on http://www.imobilise.com. You can register valuables by there serial number, buy ID marking products, (including specific chips for bikes) etc. It’s all linked to police databases and other stolen goods recovery services too.

Thankfully, I’ve never had the opportunity to test that part of the service out 😀

weeksy

Wonderful thing… However NONE of the Police forces have a smart water reader…

Unless they’re motorcyclists, they’re unlikely to have even heard of it.

AndyRT
    Free Member

I want some! Where can I get me some of that?

jp-t853

tthew – Member

I’ve said it before on here, but there is a more domestic version that you can find on http://www.imobilise.com. You can register valuables by there serial number, buy ID marking products, (including specific chips for bikes) etc. It’s all linked to police databases and other stolen goods recovery services too.

Thankfully, I’ve never had the opportunity to test that part of the service out

Am I missing something here. If my bike is stolen I will tell the police the serial number. What does this site do?

It would be useful if I was about to buy a second hand bike and I could run a check on a serial number database first but it doesn’t.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my brother got sprayed init when the alarm at work went off on him. had to notify the police! 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Smartwater – anyone use it?’ is closed to new replies.