• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cp.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Smartphone mapping software?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What ye using?

I’ve got a few maps on viewranger on my Samsung S7, it’s pretty good, but not sure I want to splash out on more maps before investigating the competition, so……

Is the OS app any good yet? (Needs to be OS, I’m old school mapwise and like OS better than these open source maps)

Read that backcountry navigator is a tenner and includes all maps?

What ye using peeps?.

nre
    Free Member

Oruxmaps is great, if a little harder than BCNav to get OS maps onto.

BCNav has nicer support for smartwatches which means I flick between the 2!

robware
    Free Member

I use 2 apps in conjunction with each other; OruxMaps and Brouter.

It’s a bit tricky to set up, but it’s worth it as you get decent off-line routing designed for bikes.

Brouter isn’t mapping software on its own, but rather a routing provider (which OruxMaps can use). Have a play on the web interface to see what you make of the routing algorithm. If you like it then download the app.

Orux is pretty powerful but has a steep learning curve. It can have completely off-line map rendering, including reading Garmin map image files. That, combined with Brouter, means you can use it as a satnav where you don’t have mobile internet, such as the middle of nowhere or other countries.

A Google search will tell you how to get these things running, should you have difficulty.

Of course, you don’t need Brouter. Orux will also deal with GPX files.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Backcountry Navigator.
    It’s quite a few years ago I installed both BCN trial app and Viewranger. It seemed a no brainer at the time, £7.99 for all UK OS to 1:25k, altho viewranger was a bit more slick in presentation, but looked expensive for all the same OS tiles. I did consider switching to the later introduced paid OS option had everyone raved about it (I did sign up to the beta trial but heard nothing from them), but many on here complained about it being lacking in some features and continued to complain, so I just stuck with what I was familiar with, BCN. New paper OS maps come with the free digital tiles for that area, so when the time comes that I ever replace many paper maps, I might dip a toe in the OS app.

matt_outandabout

I’ve got a few maps on viewranger on my Samsung S7, it’s pretty good, but not sure I want to splash out on more maps before investigating the competition,

Can you not choose more free maps? My phone has most of Scotland on there, downloaded for free, and this summer I will do same for French Alps.

allthepies
    Free Member

Oruxmaps + OS maps from MOBAC.

Ambrose

Over the years I have spent hundreds of pounds on Memory Map. Can I get it to work on my Android phone? Can I hell, despite the assurances from MM that it ‘will’ work. If I knew then what I know now I’d have avoided this particular piece of software. Their customer support is appalling ‘your purchase is over 90 days old, sorry Sir, you will need to use our chatroom’ GRRRRR.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can you not choose more free maps? My phone has most of Scotland on there, downloaded for free, and this summer I will do same for French Alps.

Only free ones I got were the national parks – lakes peaks and brecons, and a few maps with the credits you get at start, after that you buy more credits.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Just use OSM maps on viewranger. Free and contains pretty much everything you get on OS maps or at least everything you need. Unless you need church steeples 😉 . Also can use OSM cycle map and get cycle routes plus some singletrack marked in some areas.

paladin

I use the OS mapping app, it’s way improved from earlier versions.
    Youve got to remember and download the map squares for the area that youll be in, it doesnt download them for a downloaded route automatically, but its not too much faff. £20ish a year if i remember correctly…

thepodge
    Free Member

Ambrose, drop me an email or pm, I may be able to help

Moses

Ambrose, look for an app called MMTracker, not available via Appstore, which reads .qct Memory Map files. It works very well for me.
    IIRC , Memory Map forced the producers to withdraw their app from general distriution, but it’s still available if you look.

That and Maps.me are the location apps I ues most.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thats exactly where I was going to point them, I have the app saved and user instructions.

lowey

I recently got a subscription to Trail Magazine and one of the sweeteners was a 12 month premium subscription to OS Mapping.

I’m completely sold. Its bloody brilliant. All 1:25 and 1:50 country wide, ability to make routes and follow them, import etc. Print maps, Download maps to phone so available off line. For general route finding on your phone you cannot beat it.

For all the buggering around with other stuff like Maps.me etc, this is just the perfect tool. When my free subscription runs out I wont hesitate to renew. At £22 for the year its a complete no brainer for me.

scotroutes

Subscribe to the OS newsletter too. They often have offers on the subscription price.

thepurist

OS maps app lets you download maps for offline use if you’ve got the code from the latest paper maps.

On a completely unrelated topic many libraries refresh their stock of OS maps regularly so you can often borrow a map of an area you’re planning to visit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I’ll give the OS app a go then, £19.99 a year, worth it, I do love an OS map….

scotroutes

You can access it from a PC/Mac too. That’s handier for planning routes.

Ambrose

Moses, thepodge; I used to use MMtracker and it was great. I seldom had any problems with it at all. And then I got a new phone, running an updated version of Android and MMtracker wouldn’t work any more. If you can help me out I’d be very grateful indeed.
    Ambrose

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve not had a problem with any of the phones or tablets running it, Samsung, Sony, Motorola, Ice cream, Jelly bean, Kit kat and now Marshmallow have worked well. I think I’m running the most recent version of the app, not sure if that makes a difference.

Moses

According to http://www.alpinequest.net/ , AlpineQuest can use qct files.
    The full version costs about E7, so it’s worth a punt, even if the free Lite version won’t do it for you.

thepodge
    Free Member

That’s good to know, I like MM Tracker but its is does have a bit of a DIY feel to it some times.

zzjabzz
    Free Member
    thepodge
    Free Member

I found that thread far too long to fully read.

Ambrose

And I just did not understand it.

thepodge
    Free Member

Yeah it could do with a summary or basic guide of what version works with what

cp

unning an updated version of Android and MMtracker wouldn’t work any more

running fine on OnePlus 3 with Android 7 here. What doesn’t work anymore”? Does it not start? Does it crash?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Smartphone mapping software?’ is closed to new replies.