Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Smartphone biking app to match Garmin bike computer?
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

Are there any Android apps out there to match a Garmin for functions visible as you are biking along or ease of use? I am not thinking Strava or Mapmyride but something that just has the basics visible in a large display.

If you have a smart phone with a waterproof case cover is there really any need to splash out on a Garmin? Does anyone have both? What do guys use?

zilog6128

I used my iPhone in a case on the handlebars for a while – it was OK but I ended up buying a Garmin fairly quickly. A Garmin is smaller, more robust in a crash, has better battery life, more visible screen in bright sunlight plus the screen can be operated with gloves on. (my case had a protective layer that was supposed to let you operate the iPhone with gloves on, but it didn’t really work that well!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The garmin battery lasts longer, it’s waterproof and it displays whatever I want. The low end garmin does loads of basic stuff and your phone will still be charged at the end of the ride

cookeaa

I still use Sports-tracker on the bars for my commutes. I’ve stopped using it on other rides but it’s nice to keep track of my speed/time on rides I do so regularly. it gives yo all sorts of information and you can change what is displayed I quite like that it does Current speed, Avg for the ride but also Avg for the last mile helps you gauge what your pace is like, it’ll display a trace map or just data, can talk to HRM if you want and I think Cadence sensors too…

I still run Strava in the background just to make a log and punt it straight in, it’s just easier. Strava’s display is pretty **** TBH, but it’s not really intended to work as a cycle computer is it.

I Have to say though a 5.2″ display “cycle computer” is a tad ridiculous, I’m Half fancying a proper cycle computer, half fancying a GPS watch instead now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Smartphone biking app to match Garmin bike computer?’ is closed to new replies.