Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Smart/managed motorways.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Or whatever they’re called. If the restriction sign isn’t on the gantry, as in 50mph or whatever then obviously it’s nsl. However if you do over 70 will the cameras activate?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why would you go over 70? That’s breaking the law isn’t it…?

bearnecessities

Haven’t you caused enough trouble lately?!

…the answer is yes, at about 80+ from what I’ve seen at ones around J26 of M62 lately.

fasthaggis

Is that a lane merging speed?

ElShalimo

I read in the local paper that if the signs are not on, or are displaying national speed limit sign then the cameras are not on BUT it is at the discretion of the Chief Constable
    West Yorkshire on M62 for context

The theory was that if they need to generate revenue they are always on

jota180
    Free Member

Most of the gantries don’t have cameras, even though they have the lines on the road.

hanchurch
    Free Member

A “friend” got flashed at over 90mph on the M62 about three months ago and never got anything, the signs were off at about 11pm.

MartynS

Hanchurch,
    Was your *friend* in a company/lease car?
    If so it may yet catch up…

There have been reports of the gantry cameras being used all the time for enforcement, not just when a lower limit is displayed.
    M42, m62 being two examples

hanchurch
    Free Member

No it is “his”! My “friend” tells me under 85mph doesn’t flash the cameras!

DT78
    Free Member

If you are caught by a handheld the limit for a speed awareness course is 78-86 so would have thought the cameras would be triggered at less than 85. Some cars speedos overread slightly. Mine doesn’t it would seem. Anyway don’t speed, it’s naughty.

Sandwich

Anyway don’t speed, it’s naughty.

And it uses more fuel than necessary, restricting spending for shiny bike bling.

wallop

Lots have people have been caught around Bristol recently when the signs have been off.

miketually
    Free Member

The theory was that if they need to generate revenue catch people breaking the law they are always on

ftfy

bikebouy
    Free Member

There seems to be a proliferation of old motorways turning into “smart” motorways. Lots of investment being done down here on widening and junction improvements. Doesn’t stop middle lane joggers nor truckies overtaking at 57mph in the middle lane taking 3 miles to complete the manoeuvre.

As far a speed cameras, the M25 ones are on over near Clackett, two blokes form work got done doing 83 & 87 in the section going east just before the M25 offshoot before the M20.

Happy that the inner lane (hard shoulder) is now being modified to be used during rush hour/congestion, seems logical to me.

Cougar

Doesn’t stop middle lane joggers nor truckies overtaking at 57mph in the middle lane taking 3 miles to complete the manoeuvre.

I love it when they switch on the “use hard shoulder” signs. Into the hard shoulder, cruise set to the posted limit, lane all to myself. Whee!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Smart/managed motorways.’ is closed to new replies.