Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • smart TV boxes – help!
  • doris5000

I want to buy a smart tv streaming box/stick. I’ve got an old Sony one but it’s acting up and wants binning. I need the following –

Netflix
    Amazon tv
    UK on demand stuff – iPlayer, 4od etc
    browsing and playing from a shared hard disk on the computer upstairs.

The first 3 are easy enough. The last, I could do with Serviio on the old one but it stopped working last year and I’ve never made it work again.

Any ideas? The Roku ones look ok but I can’t find anything about connecting to a remote computer (a Mac, fwiw). I don’t want anything that needs to be rooted if possible – something that works out of the box would be ideal!

mkidley
    Free Member

I’ve got a Roku 3 and it’s spot on.

Use Plex to stream anything from your computer to it, its a great media library to boot.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Chromecast. Mobile device. Sorted.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Chromecast. Mobile device. Sorted.

isitafox
    Free Member

Chromecast won’t do Amazon, personally I’d get a Fire TV box. You can get all the apps you’ve listed and it’s a lot faster than a Firestick.
    Definitely worth the money in my view.

tinribz
    Free Member

How about a smart DVD player to add to the mix, mine does all the above inc movies from the Synology, but not tried Amazon:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/lg-bp645-review

Or cast Amazon from your phone? Shame Humax boxes don’t seem to have Amazon else you could record too.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Chromecast will do Amazon, from google chrome on a PC you can cast the tab. It’s not as elegant as the traffic is from Internet to pc and then to chromecast rather than a direct fetch.

superfli
    Free Member

Do you need a new TV? If so, then a Sony Android TV and you dont need anything else (well apart from Plex on PC for film/music/photo streaming to TV)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘smart TV boxes – help!’ is closed to new replies.