Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Smart TV Box – my brain hurts!
  • mrchrist

Hi – I am looking to buy a smart TV box so I can watch I Love Film, iPlayer, 4OD and so on; on my TV.

Fancy a You View box but done want to pay 280 notes, any alternatives for 100 notes-ish?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly received!

Cheers,
    Christian

logical
    Free Member

Playstation 3?

johndoh
    Free Member

+1

Can be got for around £180 now and look out for a deal with games and sell those too – probably end up costing you around £150.

StirlingCrispin

A Blackberry Playbook does iPlayer, 4OD etc for £129 new (from PC World).
    Doesn’t do Lovefilm unfortunately.

Which leads me to the Amazon Kindle Fire HD which will do everything you want for £159 when it is released next week.

nickjb
    Free Member

Raspberry Pi?

mos

I’ve just bought a samsung blu-ray player for £107 & that does all the smart stuff.

woody2000

Same as mos, a “cheap” blu-ray player for me. No 4OD mind, but that doesn’t bother me particularly.

eBay Finds

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mrchrist – do you have an iPhone / iPad ? Apple TV costs £100 and you can watch Netflix etc using just the Apple TV but it works better if you have a phone as you can get the BBC iPlayer app and/or just user the web browser or downloaded content sent to the TV via your WiFi. The iPhone is an easier to use interface than the stand alone Apple TV remote. You can connect an iPad directly to the TV via HDMI cable and £25 connector.

From other posters on here I don’t think LoveFilm streaming works with Apple TV

mk1fan
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a samsung blu-ray player for £107 & that does all the smart stuff.

+2

Plenty to choose from. Richer Sounds have a load to choose from.

ourmaninthenorth

You can get YouView from TalkTalk or BT if you’re one of their customers.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Ps3 is a great choice

View it as a Blu ray player/ smart tv with a games console thrown in for free

Plus regular updates/ support etc which you might not get with some of the other options

lalazar
    Free Member

You can buy a cheap android box off eBay which will do all you want plus more. Added bonus is it’s got built in web browser which works really well with a wireless keyboard. Just make sure it’s got an up to date version of Android.

mrchrist

Thanks for all the responses. I think i like to look of the Kindle Fire.

StirlingCrispin

I think you need the Kindle Fire HD, rather than the basic Kindle Fire, to get a HDMI socket for the TV.
    Could be wrong though.

mrchrist

kindle fire doesn’t support flash which means no iPlayer or 4od. anyone have any suggestions for getting round this little challenge?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Smart TV Box – my brain hurts!’ is closed to new replies.