Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • smart shoes that aren't too smart
  • jools182
    Free Member

Thought it was about time to stop wearing trainers every day and get some shoes

I want something I can wear with jeans without looking like someone who wears too much aftershave

Got a couple of pairs of smart shoes that look fine with troosers but when I wear them with jeans I just look like a second hand car dealer

I was thinking something that would still look good after getting scuffed and worn a bit. I thought about chelsea boots, although I’ve got massive feet so maybe they wouldn’t suit, but something along those lines

any ideas where to look, I’ve exhausted all the online options I can think of

yunki
    Free Member

I know this brand has some stigma attached, but I’ve had a soft spot for them since I dated a Dutch girl in my teens.. quality
    Not cheap mind..

birkys

TooTall
    Free Member

I was thinking something that would still look good after getting scuffed and worn a bit.

How old are you? Clean your shoes and welcome to the world of the grown up!

Squidlord
    Free Member

Very comfy, but not as well made as they used to be:

chewkw
    Free Member
    paddy0091
    Free Member

MrSmith
    Free Member

Brogues with a commando or leather sole(put a thin rubber sole on the leather)
    Grenson,tricker’s, cheaney, Paul smith etc. some of the special edition ones for oi-polloi, tres bien and other interweb stores are a bit different as are mark mcnairy’ s interpretation of the traditional brogue.

scaredypants

fill your fashion, err, boots

MrSmith
    Free Member

that ragged heeled jeans with worn pointy brown shoes/beer gut under pink shirt/jacket from Next look Is hardly stylish, they look like their mum/wives dress them from the littlewoods catalogue

scaredypants

oh 🙁

MrSmith
    Free Member

I think it’s ok in the north though? 😕

JEngledow
    Free Member

I thought about chelsea boots, although I’ve got massive feet so maybe they wouldn’t suit

I’ve got size 14 feet and have a pair of Dr Marten Chelsea Boots which I don’t think look too much like comedy barges (my wife doesn’t make me change them when we go out so they can’t be too bad!). They are starting to look a little lived in now that they are entering their second winter, but still look great and the air sole is nice and comfy.

lunge

What the hell is that lot above? Come on STW, even by your standards that is poor.

Brogues are your first option here, fine with jeans or even smarter trousers if you wish. A polished black Chelsea boot could also go with jeans though it won’t work if you don’t polish them. Dessert boots could work as a more inform option but really we’re over complicating the process. Just buy a pair of brogues and you’ll be fine.

CountZero

I’ve recently got a pair of Meindle Desert Fox boots, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-Surplus-Meindl-Desert-Fox-Combat-Boots-/261110345401?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item3ccb63aeb9
    They look great with jeans, they’re very light, and incredibly comfortable. I love mine to bits.

MrSmith
    Free Member

They are sandy coloured walking boots?!?
    With jeans you probably look like you are going on a YHA holiday or going to chop down a tree?
    I guess people interpret the word ‘smart’ differently

yunki
    Free Member

Just buy a pair of brogues and you’ll be fine.

if your definition of fine is ‘perceived as a smarmy bewildering affront to human dignity’ then lunge is bang on the money..

HTH

bigG
    Free Member

the most comfortable shoes in the world, trust me once you buy these you’ll never look back

toyrobot
    Free Member

went through the exact same dilemma recently. Didn’t want smart shoes, didn’t want to look like Jeremy Clarkson when I wore them with jeans and wanted something that would age nicely as I fully intended to neglect whatever I chose. Ended up going for these from Schuh and they’re great, I’ve hardy worn anything else since buying them. They had a kind of lived in look when I got them and they’ve got better since.

http://www.schuh.co.uk/tan-red-or-dead-mr-briggs-boot-ii/3204546220/

seadog101

Chelsea boots, splash out on a good quality pair. They will out live you and all fasion trends.

Harry_the_Spider

Chelsea boots, splash out on a good quality pair.

You’re not wrong. I get about 3 years out of mine before they die. New soles and heels every 12 months or so.

Coyote
    Free Member

Boots from Red or Dead are doing the job for me. Boots from Fat Face are also worth looking at.

jet26
    Free Member

On the subject of chelsea boots can recommend any with rubber soles?

Found plenty from loakes etc with a leather sole but want some with a rubber sole for winter but properly made. Have looked at RM Williams but prices little hard to stomach – are they well made enough to justify price?

ourmaninthenorth

Have a look at Camper. Quite poss you’ll find non-trainer laid back leather shoes. I’m still wearing a pair of Pelotas that are 10 years old. Love them.

ourmaninthenorth

Just take the leather soled ones to a cobbler to put a rubber strip on. TBH leather in winter is fine so long as they have a decent welt and you don’t pile through puddles.

TooTall
    Free Member

Dessert boots could work as a more inform option but really we’re over complicating the process

Do they come with custard as an option?

MrSmith
    Free Member

I put a thin rubber sole on all my Goodyear welted shoes, it says ‘Indian rubber’ on them £11 at the local cobblers. Leather soles are well sketchy in the wet. Don’t forget the shoe trees either, john Lewis do the cedar ones for a decent price, do not use plastic ones.

Cougar

Do they come with custard as an option?

I had a pair of those. They were a trifle uncomfortable.

Cletus

I have just bought some of these for just over 50% of RRP

http://www.soletraderoutlet.co.uk/Caterpillar-Interchange-Shoes/pid-INTERCBK

Chunky and hardwearing and not stupid pointy things that will last two months (i.e. my lad’s school shoes)

TooTall
    Free Member

I had a pair of those. They were a trifle uncomfortable.

I think you were pudding them on the wrong feet.

I’d be gutted to pay for shoes that ugly. They look like site issued protective wear. Was there a free high viz vest with them?

maccruiskeen

I’ve recently got a pair of Meindle Desert Fox boots
    They look great with jeans………..

……and a truckers cap, mirrored aviators, lumber shirt……… and a garrotte?

Timberland Boot Company as distinct from just ‘Timberland’ (its a range distinct from their usual stuff and isn’t usually stocked in their high st shops) make some nice robust shoes and boots that fall nicely in the middle ground between “formal” and “mature lesbian” although they’ve had better stuff in previous years than they’ve got a the moment

youngrob

Lunge is spot on. Brogues. Get them in brown, they will be expensive but will last.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i guess if you are a security guard or traffic warden they will do for work?

CountZero

Timberland Boot Company as distinct from just ‘Timberland’ (its a range distinct from their usual stuff and isn’t usually stocked in their high st shops) make some nice robust shoes and boots that fall nicely in the middle ground between “formal” and “mature lesbian” although they’ve had better stuff in previous years than they’ve got a the moment

And jeans hanging down around your knees, a baseball hat with a flat peak worn sideways, with an oversize baseball shirt, like you’re straight outta Crompton, or South Central. Gotta get down wit’ your homies…
    Desert Fox boots are what Brit troops in Afghanistan are issued with, and they’re fantastic boots, about the most comfortable I’ve ever had.

markcurtains
    Free Member

Clarks Originals

take your pick

Joe

Take advice from steve mcqueen. I love my M-43 boots.

http://stevemcqueenstyle.blogspot.com/2010/04/walk-mile-in-his-boots.html

TooTall
    Free Member

Desert Fox boots are what Brit troops in Afghanistan are issued with, and they’re fantastic boots, about the most comfortable I’ve ever had.

Which is a good enough reason to avoid them for casual wear. Unless you are trying to go for the ‘at-home security contractor’ look that is. People who wear current issue military clothing are either currently in the military, or the sort of people who want to be but wouldn’t be allowed (through the medium of a psych evaluation or a letter from their mum). Those who are issued it tend not to wear it as casual wear.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

You are joking?

I bought a pair of dm’s

trail_rat
    Free Member

who wears brogues for smart shoes with jeans ….whats that all about. Even my grandad doesnt do that….my brogues are for work only … or my kilt brogues for smart kilt occasions only .

Ive got some brown pointy boots i wear when i want to not wear trainers/hiking boots with jeans

most of the time though i end up wearing rigger boots (which id sooner wear out to the pub than those CAT “shoes” above – they remind me of built up shoes that kids get sometimes.

TooTall
    Free Member

kilt brogues for smart kilt occasions

Who wears that comedy mock-historical Victorian fancy dress costume – whats that all about?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘smart shoes that aren't too smart’ is closed to new replies.