Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Smart phones in the Alps
  • snaps
    Free Member

Anyone been stung for data charges?
    I’m wading through Oranges terms & conditions for data in the EU & its looking easy to get a £150+ bill from just using some basic things like Endomondo & Mapping.
    I’m thinking of just sticking my SIM card in my old phone for the holiday.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’ve just been to Zurich with work and the customers who I was with were getting info texts from Orange etc and the call/data/text charges where off the scale

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Android has a setting that stops data when not in your home network.

Settings menu somewhere

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I got a text in Geneva to tell me data would be charged at £7.50 per mb, bargain! France wasn’t quite so bad…..

ocrider

I thought it was Euro law that the download was capped when abroad (unless you choose differently)

It is…since last July, apparently.

crikey
    Free Member

Orange do a going abroad data package thing, where you can buy megs of data to use while abroad much cheaper than getting robbed blind by them on your return. Ring customer services or have a dig around on their website for the rates….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As above, isn’t there a setting to not allow data while abroad? or is your smart phone not all that smart?

snaps
    Free Member

Its a two week old Motorola Defy running Android 2.2.2 & it has a data saving setting but with it switched on, using Endomondo for a 3 hour ride this afternoon still resulted in 12MB of data used.
    Oranges website says I’m data capped to 16MB per day abroad on my contract plan but then goes on to say that data in France is charged @ £3.07 per MB 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Settings>WiFI & Networks>Mobile Network> Data Roaming option (HTC menus)

Endomondo should only need the Data to assist the GPS so will work without.

Picture message rather than data to upload pics saves you too

DickBarton

Don’t do live updating with Endomondo and it won’t use data…if you set it to update in realtime then it will horse through data…

snaps
    Free Member

Yes got picture uploading turned off & data enable turned off but data manager still show some data transmitted.

DickBarton

I think when you first start tracking in Endomondo it sends a burst to say you have just started exercising…when you stop you can sync and it sends more. I’d wait until you had wifi connection then no data charges from your carrier.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I used my iphone on endomondo with data turned off totally in equatorial guinea – surprisingly no data was sent – i was a little shocked ………………………

rob-jackson
    Free Member

endomondo works in airplane mode on the desire – just using GPS

snaps
    Free Member

Think I’ll give Orange a ring.

shedfull
    Free Member

Jeez – Vodafone sent me a text every day in France saying that I’d made a data call so they were charging me £2 for 26MB, which should be enough for the day. I thought I was being stitched, but it seems I was getting a deal.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I got stung for about £160 when I came home. Combination of looking at maps when we got lost, watching some things on YouTube and the push email service – wanted to receive one email and all 100+ including loads of spam were downloaded (think this was what really hit).

Wasn’t a nice bill to come home to but taught me a lesson. People now get told if I’m away, the phone is off!

DT78
    Free Member

For those prices you may as well buy a Garmin….!

TooTall
    Free Member

Other methods of navigation are available and may result in less cost.

I hear ‘maps’ can still be found printed upon ye olde parchment.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Defy user here – you can switch data roaming off (think it’s off by default?) by toggling tick box; Settings – Data Manager – Data Delivery – Data Roaming

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Smart phones in the Alps’ is closed to new replies.