Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Smart phone & tablet alternative to Apple
  • BeardedDave
    Free Member

After nearly 6 years with various iphones, I’m wondering if it’s time for a change to something else. I’m also toying with the idea of getting my first tablet so, ideally, I’d like something where an app can be bought once and downloaded to either/both machines, similar to how it works with the iphone and ipad. I’m aware that if I change to something other than Apple, I’ll have to pay again for any apps I want on the new device, that I had on my old iphone.

The main reason for a change is cost. Are there cheaper alternatives out there that’ll do the job? Initially, I’m just after the phone, with the tablet maybe coming later. I’m not after anything amazing. I just need it to do the basic stuff like emails, social networking apps (I’m a Brit living abroad, so find these very useful for staying in touch with family & friends) and the odd stupid little game, to pass the time. Also, if I do end up getting a tablet, ideally I’d like something with an HDMI output, if that’s possible.

Any suggestsions? Anybody swtiched from Apple and found something more suitable? Anybody switched from Apple and regretted it?

nickjb
    Free Member

Android does the job very well and you have a wide choice of hardware. A moto g phone and a hudl pad will do the basics well for less than a second hand iPhone. I’ve just picked up an 8″ g pad for £120 which is absolutely great. Basically lots of good deals and pick the spec to suit your budget. Apps Will work on multiple devices although there is huge range of free apps so it is less of an issue anyway.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m wondering if it’s time for a change to something else. I’m also toying with the idea of getting my first tablet

Why not get a *shudders* phablet, like the Note 3? Best of both worlds.

core

Android does exactly what you want, huge range of phones and tablets to cater for all budgets available. Expandable memory too.

BeardedDave
    Free Member

I have to admit to living in a cave somewhat, when it comes to technology, so just had to look up what a ‘phablet’ was. No. Defnitely not what I want! I want the portability of a smart phone, for everyday out and about use and then a tablet for when I’m travelling longer distances (I make fairly regular trips back to the UK). Something like a ‘phablet’ is going to be tricky, unless I start carrying a man-bag! Definitely no.

cranberry
    Free Member

You’ve not mentioned a budget, but an S4 phone would be a good start. The Samsung Note tablets are also very good – they have a stylus built into them.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m not after anything amazing. I just need it to do the basic stuff like emails, social networking apps

Righto.

Moto G – £138 unlocked from Amazon.

warton
    Free Member

Google Nexus, for both.

toby1

Nexus family products, older 4 phone probably on ebay – nexus 5 direct from google for about the best ouriight price possible for a smartphone of it’s abilities.

Tablets in 7 and 10 variety.

Chromecast for displaying on TV or there are andriod to hdmi leads available too I believe.

Google play store for apps.

Google fanboi in the making

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Lots to think about! The Moto G, does seem like a decent option. As do the other suggestions.

Budget is kind of flexible. My iphone is currently paid for as part of my 2 year mobile contract, with my standard monthly bills being around £50 before any extras. So when that contract expires I’ll probably look to buy a smartphone outright and get a cheap sim card.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Bearded – if cost is a factor why not buy used Apple products or keep your iPhone and unlock it ? I confess since getting my fist Mac computer in 2006 I have become a full Apple convert, Mac, iPhone and iPad and couldn’t be tempted away. There was another thread on here with someone selling an iPad 3 (with the retina screen) for £120 -admittedly they usually sell for more than that. With the iPhone 6 coming out I suspect you’ll find plenty of iPhone 5 being sold as customers switch (as they will be 24 months old), check for a fully unlocked one. I have an HDMI converter for my iPad1 (4+ years old still used every day) and iPhone, it costs £25. Or you can buy an Apple TV (£100 and new model coming soon) and then stream from iPad/iPhone or direct from the internet.

Of course Samsung/Android offer alternative phones/tablets – if you look after Apple stuff you can resell it which reduces the cost of ownership.

As an aside you might like to look at something like Strong VPN on your computer (£30 pa) if you want access to UK websites like BBC iPlayer for example.

Happy shopping

EDIT: If you get a tablet you will want some kind of bag for it. iPad Mini size fits in large ladies handbags or large inside mens coat pocket. I have a manbag from Scaramnga small Scottish company 🙂

Metro (sexual 🙂 ) ManBag

BeardedDave
    Free Member

I need to go away and think a bit more about what I want and how much I want to spend. Plenty of food for thought.

Jambalaya, currently using the free ‘Hola Unblocker’ add on for Firefox, to access UK websites and it seems to work perfectly. No issues with iPlayer or Netflix, so far.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@toby1 – I like the sound of this from your link

Nest Thermostat

bigrich

note3. ace

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Bearded – interesting I hadn’t heard of the “Hola”, thanks

Unlock your iPhone and go to £10-12 a month rolling 1 month contract, unlimited data, lots of calls/texts (or equivalent for wherever you are).

stumpy01

Dunno about the phone but have a look at the LG G Pad 8.3 for the tablet side of things.
    I bought one about a month ago and was quite smug managing to get a good deal, only paying £160 for it. Then a fortnight ago Tesco reduced it to £120!

If you haven’t used a tablet, is probably worth trying some out. I was convinced that the Nexus 7 was the tablet for me, then when I actually had a play with one the screen felt too small. The 10″ ones all seem too bulky, whereas the screen on the G Pad seems like the best compromise.

ninfan
    Free Member

I have just got a 16 GB Moto-G after breaking a supposedly ‘mountain proof’ quechua phone that could withstand falls of 1m on all sides (to be fair they gave me a full refund)

I also bought a Trident outdoor case to go with it, and still had enough change left over for a backup battery pack and a pub lunch!

(Trident case as depressingly they don’t do a Griffin survivor case for the moto-g, I’ve got one of them on my daughters Ipad and I can’t recommend it enough!)

kimbers

sadly the gpad is back up to 120 everywhere else

missed out on that one

GrahamS

The main reason for a change is cost.

Then surely the cheapest thing to do is to stick with whatever phone you already have?

johnnystorm

Samsung Tab 3 8″ down to 140ish in Currys and Asda. Samsung S4 Active for a 5″ waterproof smartphone. I’ve had an iPhone since 2008 and got bored. Not missing it really.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve had an iPhone since 2008 and got bored

@johnny
    but you can spend hours on the various website and forums speculating about upcoming software releases and phone refreshes.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d like something where an app can be bought once and downloaded to either/both machines

Android is excellent, and will be fine for you (the days of Apple being ‘it’ are long gone) but I don’t think you can buy the app once and move it across devices.

GrahamS

I’ve had an iPhone since 2008 and got bored.

And are you excited again now you’ve got your Samsung? 😕

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Smart phone & tablet alternative to Apple’ is closed to new replies.